• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    Today was a special day for me and my son. His first day shooting! He just turned 13 a month ago. Unfortunately my outdoor arrangement fell through, so I had to take him to an indoor range. I have been working on the 4 safety rules with him and I he did a nice job of listening to everything I instructed him to do. He shot a 22 pistol, 22 lever-action rifle, and a 22 self-loading rifle with a scope (not necessary indoors, but we gave it a try). He really liked the pistol (Ruger Mark II). I shot my 9mm a bit. Of course he wanted to try. I let him shoot 5 with the 9mm. He was impressed by the power of a 9mm. So, I got out the 44 mag out. Squeezed of 6 rounds of thunder! That REALLY impressed him. :D

At the end of the day, he said he wanted a revolver as his first handgun. He wants to start saving up for it! Excellent choice in my opinion and proud of him for saying he wants to save up for it!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Awesome day! I have been taking my boy out since he was 9. Sounds like you have a future marksman

My boy is now 12 and has shot my 44mag. And for rifle up to 30-06. He thinks he will shoot the AR50 50bmg this summer. We will see! He is a big bo y. He can
    handle ít size wise it's just psychologic barrier. He'll shoot it when he is ready. Enjoy the time with your boy. It's some of our best memories! I'm

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Such a relief knowing that the experience they get can easily take the curiosity away that gets so many of their peers in trouble. Understand and respect the weapon. The best way to learn anything is by doing it.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    Thanks for the positive comments everyone. I remember my father taking me shooting when I was a kid. NEVER forgot that experience. Hope we made some good memories today and talk him something about proper gun handling.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I still remember my first time. Dad had to hold the shotgun barrel, it was too heavy for me to hold.
    Knocked me on my ass.
    "Don't tell your mother, or we're never going to be let back in the house".

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    I've taken my 7 year old to shoot the .22 a couple of times and it's always great. We shoot his Red Ryder in the back whenever we can...
    Good job and keep it up.

I still remember my first time. Dad had to hold the shotgun barrel, it was too heavy for me to hold.
    Knocked me on my ass.
    "Don't tell your mother, or we're never going to be let back in the house".

Reminds me of the first time I shot a 12g at a VFW turkey shoot when I was 10ish...Knock me off the chair......:draw:

Dave274

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    New Castle
    My Grand Daughter loves the trips to the range. She loves to shoot. She's good at it too. Enjoy the times with your Son. They grow up way too fast.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I wish my dad took me out to shoot when I was younger. I had to pretty teach myself and my brother. We are getting better slowly but, surely.

I hope you and your son have many more memorable experiences shooting.

roisigns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    cincy
    My sons last Saturday at the Appleseed, ages 12 & 14. :)

8608245318_5fe39b0bf4_z.jpg

Top Bottom