• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    One of my best friends is the near complete opposite of me. He voted for Obama, he is a vegetarian and he owns no guns.

I was inviting some people to go shooting with me who have never gone before and he finally told me he wanted to go. We both work for the same company and had Wednesday off. We made a short trip to HHRP's outdoor range. I took a .22LR, a 9mm with both subsonic and FMJ practice ammo, and an AR-15.

We started off with the .22LR and set up a target a few feet away and worked our way up to different distances and then went to the 9mm and then to the AR-15.

We went over the rules of gun safety, earpro, what to do with FTF/FTE and a few basics... I try my best to instill gun safety but still make things fun.

We had a pretty good time. He was blown away by the subsonic and had a lot of fun with the .22LR . He did NOT care for the AR-15 as he could not find a comfortable way to shoot it.

On the way home after packing everything up, he told me he might be picking up his own .22LR pistol. I told him that I would certainly help him!

Maybe we will win one over to the RTKBA movement yet. :ingo: :patriot:

Last edited:

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Another win for the good guys.

Sounds like an open minded friend. Most people that shoot end up liking it. Perhaps he realized that since he was wrong about Obama maybe he was wrong about guns too.

Next stop ........ Texas Roadhouse.

Penske

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Good to see he had a good time I've been off work think I need to go unload a few rounds myself tomorrow :)

technobear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    thats cool.. glad he was able to look past his convictions to allow himself to enjoy the experience..

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    My brother and I took a friend that wasn't anti-gun but wasn't too big on firearms of any kind. He has some sort of .22 pistol that neither of us have seen. We headed to Midwest Gun & Range in Elkhart with him and rented a .22 pistol(can't really remember it as other than showing him how it worked and how to safely handle it, I didn't really touch it), a .45, and I had my .357. At the time, they weren't doing full auto rentals because of ammo supply. He loved the .22, thought the .45 was a bit much, and thought the .357 was too loud. He is pretty excited about heading back for full auto since they're renting them again. He also wants me to bring out a few others that I have(some of my long guns). He wants me to take the Tula SKS but I haven't even enjoyed that one since I picked it up...maybe my brother's AK47 will do since. It is kind of funny watching the reaction of someone that hasn't ever shot before and seeing how quick they modify their views.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Good to see another one enjoying the sport of shooting. My Dad and I never thought we would get my Mom to shoot. Now she loves it. She hated guns for years. I tried to invite people where I used to work. No one every took me up on it. All my friends like to shoot!

mdwildcat04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    E-Ville
    It feels good helping people see the light.

6 months ago, my cousin and I discussed the topic of guns. Her stance was that she was afraid of them, hated them, and didn't feel safe around them. However, she also believed that her want for safety shouldn't trample ones rights, and that she did believe the 2nd amendment did apply to individuals. Not a rational stance, but still respectable. The problem, her husband LOVED guns, and wanted one of his own.

Over time, I noticed she was less and less afraid, and more and more curious.

Then one day, she asked me to take her to the range. Surprised, I agreed only if she told me the reason why. She said, she was either going to have to get over the fear, or live with it, and there was only one way to find out, was to try. After a few hours at the range, she said she wasn't completely over the fear, but she had a better understanding. We then went to the gun shop, and she proceeded to handle all the handguns they would let her handle.

Then, a few weeks ago, she calls me, and asks me to come over. When I get there, she shows me a lightly used, KelTec P11, and a filled out application for a carry permit. Her husband said he was glad they had a gun, and she corrected him, it was her's, and he needed to get his own! :D

jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    to the OP: props to you for showing a friend the proper way to shoot and enjoy firearms responsibly and safely. I also respect how you allowed him to try different things and still made it fun. rep given.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    From what I have seen, and my experience. There are some people that are just afraid of guns. A fear that they will never get over. Just like some people have phobias that they can get out from. On the other hand I have known a lot of people that once they gave it a try. They found that they enjoy it.

I have met a lot of good people at the range. From different walks of life. Some people because of the media, and other sources. View gun owners as nut jobs that own deadly weapons. Instead of seeing the positive side of the story.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I always love meeting people at the range.

I rode my bike to the local hippie bicycle co-op and met a dude there who was an ar15.com member. My friend, who I mentioned in this story, pointed out that someone who drove there had their car parked and the guy had a LaRue sticker on his car. He perked up immediately and said, "Who knows what LaRue is here?" and we talked a bunch about AR-15s. I invited him to INGO and said he is a lurker but not a poster. We might hit up the range next week. Too cool!

Top Bottom