• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J4Me

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Shot a little buck a couple weeks ago with my trusty Marlin Slugmaster, so far, so good. However, the next day I noticed something funky with my vision in my left eye. Long story short - detached retina/eye surgery.

Doc doesn't think the recoil caused it but I don't want to take any chances because I have a lot of the risk factors and don't want to go through this again! So, I'm thinking about getting a new gun for deer hunting that has a lot less recoil than my 12 ga. bolt action. Looking for suggestions. I have a muzzy that I shoot with 100 gr. and I may just use it from now on, however, I'm intrigued by the .44's and maybe a single shot (20 gauge) bull barrel like the H&R.

Ballistics are a factor in my decision too, but, I don't care about shooting more than 75 yards. What do you think?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    muzzleloader, or the 20g... 20 guage if you want to go the easy way... muzzle if you want to extend your season and put in a bit more work in getting to know your gun.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Could also purchase a shotgun capable of having a recoil-reducing stock installed.

A pump action 20ga + recoil reducing stock = win

Also, most all semi-auto shotguns will have much less felt recoil than pump, bolt, and single shots.

-J-

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    several years ago I had a detached retina in my left eye, since then I've had a buckle put in my left eye and Cryo'd both my left and right eye, I later had other procedures related and not exactly related to the detach, well I've been down the road your on now and while I don't want to say anything that contradicts your doctor you have to be careful for years, some detachments are the result of "thin" retina's and other problems and ailments that may make you choose shooting or seeing, Don't listen to anyone here on the board, get your eyes checked by other doctors,

Myself I went to 3 different doctors and compared results, Some eye exams were in excess of $400 out of my pocket. So please get second opinions and give your eye 6 months to a year to stabilize That's my 2 cents everything that comes after this is what I found out for me and me only,

My retina's were healthy and my detach was caused by a blow to the head but I was advised by a eye doctor who shot trap and was familiar with what I had going on,
    The guidelines for me are 308 and above need to have a brake on them. Minimize heavy 12 ga loads to just hunting shots (hard to sight in gun)

since then I have used the 12 gauge light recoil slugs with shotgun and switched to a 77/44 44 mag rifle for deer,
    My O/U shotgun I put 20 ga tubes into my 12 ga barrells, That did 2 things, Added weight to the gun and reduced the overall recoil

Take grit and stuff getting in your eye serious, Learn how not to rub your eyes and make it happen.

This is how I survived but again my retina's were healthy if you have any thinning of any kind then you need to get with your doctor or doctor's

You may not get another chance at this one

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Ive been looking really hard at the Ithaca deer slayer 3 in 20ga..its the next best thing to a custom built tar hunt without spending a couple of grand..they are pump action shotguns,non removable fluted barrel. MSRP is around $800 so I suspect you could get one for a little over $600-700 or so. they say easy 4" groups at 200yrds with it...but Im not to keen on the idea of tryin to lob a slug at a deer at that distance.
    The Ithaca Deerslayer III <link

or if thats not in the budget an H&R ultra slug hunter in 20ga would be a great choice..they are a bit heavy but that only reduces the felt recoil more. very accurate slug guns for the price.
    I hunted with a marlin slugmaster since the first year they came out and that thing was a mule..very accurate and I killed many deer with it but it would rattle your teeth every time you squeezed the trigger.
    also Savage has a 20ga bolt action they just came out with not long ago..that might be another option for you?

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    ......I don't care about shooting more than 75 yards. ....

357 Magnum, 357 Maximum. Hardly any recoil at all in a 6lb rifle.

44 Magnum, 45 Colt, 45 Winchester Magnum. Hardly noticeable recoil in a 7lb rifle.

454 Casull or 480 Ruger (depending on the weight of the rifle). IMHO - not as bad as most muzzleloaders and shotguns. Overkill for 75 yards.

J4Me

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Wow. A lot of good info already. Thanks!

That Ithaca Deer Slayer 3 is sweet! I want one! >>> 20 gauge, of course.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Anybody want to buy a Marlin SlugMaster?

joseywales7450

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Carmel
    forget the shotguns, ruger 77/44 in 44 mag that x10 suggested is the way to go. i took mine to the range and shot 60 rounds w/o any soreness in my shoulder. not to mention it only runs $550 as a special order from dicks sporting goods. go with the ruger 77/44, you wont be disappointed.

J4Me

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    More good ideas, thanks! I've received some PM's and it sounds like even a 20 gauge slug gun will have more recoil than a .44 mag or my muzzleloader with 100 grains of powder. Which has more felt recoil, a .44 mag or a muzzleloader with 100 gr and a 250 gr bullet? Sounds like either one will kill a deer cleanly out to 75 yards ( I know my muzzy can do it!).

Here's one more question' do you think I could use 80 gr of Pyrodex in my MZ and still humanely harvest deer at 75 yards?

Thanks again!

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    More good ideas, thanks! I've received some PM's and it sounds like even a 20 gauge slug gun will have more recoil than a .44 mag or my muzzleloader with 100 grains of powder. Which has more felt recoil, a .44 mag or a muzzleloader with 100 gr and a 250 gr bullet? Sounds like either one will kill a deer cleanly out to 75 yards ( I know my muzzy can do it!).

Here's one more question' do you think I could use 80 gr of Pyrodex in my MZ and still humanely harvest deer at 75 yards?

Thanks again!

I use to hunt with 85grns of pyrodex with 45cal sabots out of a 50cal T/C tree hawk and took several deer at the 50-75 yrd range and probably could of pushed it further,if your gun shoots good with 80grns go for it! you'll just need some trigger time in to see what load your rifle likes the best. I have never went over 110grns....never needed too..anything under 110grns I dont think youll have a problem with felt recoil out of most rifles.
    how much you want for the slugmaster? model 512 I assume?

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Revolver or Contender, no limit to calibers available for use, and you can always get your money back out of them if you change your mind. I have several Rugers in different barrel lenghts, and a contender with a few barrels. If you would ever like to try them, please ask.

johnjw77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    I would look into some pistol caliber rifles or a muzzleloader myself. Good thing about a muzzleloader, still has a lot of knockdown power but doesnt have that "kick" like a shotgun.

just my .02

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    I had to retire my pump action shotgun due to bersites in my shoulder. The Remington 1100 was the remedy. Since then I found a Ruger 44 carbine. No more shoulder pain! Bolt action and single-shots transfer all recoil to your shoulder.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I had have retina detachment surgery back in 1991 on my right eye. And laser surgery on my left eye. After a year or so, went back to shooting with my friend, shooting my Remmy 30-06 and no problem so far. I do think recoil has anything to do with it. It's something we're born with, a weaker retina in some area. Life is tough, I guess, full of nasty surprises.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A few years ago when pistol caliber rifles became legal, I converted an old Marlin 44 into my deer hunting gun. I added a Leupold scope and a recoil pad to position my eye better on the short stocked gun. Recoil is very low and the combination is fast handeling and accurate. Cheap to shoot relative to slugs.:)

Top Bottom