• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I looked into going to school for my CDL and was told it was 8k but that it was to low for a student loan so people have to pay out of pocket and that is why the classes are pretty small.

I can't drive for long periods of time... Get sleepy not to mention I know when some companies say they will get you home these certian weeks often home is your home state not home city.... There is an aviation maintenance company that sends guys across the pond an home to them is your home country.... You get the point...

I think the big problem is the cash needed to get the CDL training. Yeah people need jobs but also are broke.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I been in trucking for 11 years. Most people dont realize the potential money you can make in the buisness regardless if your a driver, dockman or office personnel.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Trucking is one of those jobs I always thought would be fun to try.. for like 3 months. Just to get the experience.

Same with being in the military, fireman, leo, taxi driver, etc.

Still... 50k-ish isn't enough to put me on the road as a life career.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have known/worked with many former truck drivers over the years. Some drivers, some owner/operators, one trucking company owner that had a fleet of trucks. All of them said that they could not make a living at it. The money looks like it is big, but so are the expenses. I do not have first hand knowlege, but it would seem if there was good money to be made there, many people would be getting into and staying in that business.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    About 4 years ago, they said there were 100,000 trucks sitting idle due to the lack of freight to be hauled. I'm wondering how we went from a glut of drivers to such a shortage in just a few years.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you roll the hi-ways and by-ways as much as I do you will see trucks are everywhere all the time. It is an "On demand" shipping world with folks on line activity. Trucks trains and planes are running 24/7 to get the goods to the store and your door.
    As to making a living, some expect to much for their efforts. I know many drivers and operators over the years. They see the money roll through the account and want to keep more of it for themselves, human nature. They all live OK.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Trucking is one of those jobs I always thought would be fun to try.. for like 3 months. Just to get the experience.

Same with being in the military, fireman, leo, taxi driver, etc.

Still... 50k-ish isn't enough to put me on the road as a life career.

If your a driver only pulling 50k a year then they are either working for a hole in the wall company, have a bad driving record or just lazy. If one was going to take a job in the industry I would get in with one of the top ten carriers.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    If your a driver only pulling 50k a year then they are either working for a hole in the wall company, have a bad driving record or just lazy. If one was going to take a job in the industry I would get in with one of the top ten carriers.

I was going off the rough figures provided in the posted article.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've got a CDL and done some cross country driving and you have to grow pretty thick skin to be a driver, soccer moms in minivans don't know they are inches from a horrible death and the only thing saving them is hopefully the skill of the OTR driver, but they pull out in front of you anyway, cut you off and drift into your lane while your trying to keep a safe distance,

DOT is trying to eat you up every mile that you drive, they will find something to give you a ticket for just for trying to make a living,

Face it when you drive into certian states they are going to write you a ticket, Ohio and Colorodo seems to be the worst I've drove in,

the EPA HATES everyone but has a special place in thier little black heart for diesel engines, By 2014 its almost going to be impossible to drive into some states, the whole western seaboard will be off limits for almost every truck on the road and eastern states , NEW York particulary, are going to make it really rough on trucks on emissions and newer trucks with DEF better be regened and ready to go when they go to New York City.

The money would have to be in the 175k range for me to do it full time

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    I would be willing to bet if the train industry took over a large portion of the long distance transportation of goods the trucking industry would find it easyer to find local drivers to finish delivery.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    I work indirectly with folks in the business, and while the money is good, it's a pain to keep making it. One driver I talked to last week hadn't been home in 3 months. His company kept giving him loads after each trip was completed. The only way he could convince them to stop and let him go home was to quit. Fuel expenses are high for the OO's, with each fuel stop averaging in the $300-400 range. Money they have to pay out up front.

If I had no family, no local ties, I could see myself doing it. Otherwise, no thanks.

GustavHalbach

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Being one who doesn't like to drive...I can't imagine doing it for a living. For me, sitting through traffic jams and construction everyday would be a little piece of hell. My blood pressure would be through the roof.
    I applaud those who can do it, it just isn't going to be me.

-G

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I work indirectly with folks in the business, and while the money is good, it's a pain to keep making it. One driver I talked to last week hadn't been home in 3 months. His company kept giving him loads after each trip was completed. The only way he could convince them to stop and let him go home was to quit. Fuel expenses are high for the OO's, with each fuel stop averaging in the $300-400 range. Money they have to pay out up front.

If I had no family, no local ties, I could see myself doing it. Otherwise, no thanks.
    Fuel Stops in the $300-$400 range...
    Where are you getting your fuel at?!

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Only way you could get me to drive a Class A rig would be to keep it in state or from here to say St Louis or something and back... Home everynight.

I would drive for coke or pepsi or something to that nature. Back when I got my cdl I asked the guy giving me my driving test how much his place charged for truck school and he said 2-3k. They have since closed though.

For now I will stick with my Class B cdl and see where it gets me.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    If a truck has a 100 gallon tank and diesel is 3-4 bucks a gallon...

A 100 gallon tank...
    What OtR runs a 100 gallon tank?! :dunno:

Very old ones!

I run Two, 150 gal tanks in the truck I drive. I average $750 to $850 every time I fill up and I don't let them get to below 1/4, which is actually closer to half since the fuel gauge only reads the drivers side tank. A leveling system keeps the two about even.

Top Bottom