• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Well Ive always had a fascination with these beasts, I know the history behind them, yet I really dont know much in Auto Ordnances Repro's.

Does anyone know if they are any good? Is any one version better than the next? Looking at both the rifle and pistol versions. Stick and drum mags.

I am just curious if its worth the money, make a great Xmas gift for me! :D

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Everything I have read about the Auto Ordnance Thompson has been positive. They are really nice rifles. Just make sure you get the correct model if you want to use the drum, it is the A1. The "M1" cannot use drums.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Spasmo and I had the rare privilege of shooting Knob Creek Nut's original Colt Thompson (1921, I think) on full-auto at this year's NFA Day. I share your fascination.

15qdai8.jpg

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Personally, spending that amount of money on a semiauto Tommy gun would just make me mad.

If I could afford the $ to spend on full auto, a real tommy gun would be my first choice. #2 would be a BAR, and #3 would be an MG-42. But having an expensive semi auto version of any one of these would just be a constant, nagging reminder of how messed up our government is.

But that's me. YMMV.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    After Kahr bought Thompson they upgraded the machinery to CNC. Fit and finish on my Kahr/Thompson 1927 A1 Deluxe was very good. I never had one malfunction with 230 gr ball or light hand loads. They are a heavy firearm, but a blast to shoot.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Personally, spending that amount of money on a semiauto Tommy gun would just make me mad.

If I could afford the $ to spend on full auto, a real tommy gun would be my first choice. #2 would be a BAR, and #3 would be an MG-42. But having an expensive semi auto version of any one of these would just be a constant, nagging reminder of how messed up our government is.

But that's me. YMMV.

OMG I found something I agree with antsi on. :laugh:
    I'm in this boat. I would love to have a FULL AUTO tommy gun but not sure I would want a semi-auto of it. It's juts NOT fair about the '86 law. I was too young to do anything about that stupid law and my kids were not even born yet & yet they too get "punished"...!
    :xmad:

ps.
    The early models of the semi-autos from Auto-Ordinance had trouble with JHP ammo jamming in the magazines. That was years ago (google it for more info). From what I have heard now-a-days they are a-OK.

There was one at the 1500 last summer that was a STEAL sold for $500! The owner did not have any of the mag sticks/drums for it. By the time I saw it the owner (FFL) was in the process of calling it in as someone had just bought it.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Here is mine! I love it, fit and finish is great, fun to shoot.
    thompson.jpg

Thats the one I am leaning towards, dont know why but the rifle version seems to long. I went down to a local dealer today to see if they had any, they had the rifle version and boy it has some heft to it.

Anyways, my dealer said that he could get me the pistol version with 50rnd drum for under a grand, is that good?
    He also has some extra 30rnd sticks he'll give me a good deal on.....

Still deliberating....:D

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Thats the one I am leaning towards, dont know why but the rifle version seems to long. I went down to a local dealer today to see if they had any, they had the rifle version and boy it has some heft to it.

Anyways, my dealer said that he could get me the pistol version with 50rnd drum for under a grand, is that good?
    He also has some extra 30rnd sticks he'll give me a good deal on.....

Still deliberating....:D

Yea if you can get it for under a grand and he is going to toss in some 30 round mags too!! thats a great deal, jump on it.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Agree under 1K is a good deal. The "pistol version" IMO does not do the gun's history justice. I like the longer barrel one as it screams "Chicago 1920s". All it needs is the classic instrument case to carry it around in.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Agree under 1K is a good deal. The "pistol version" IMO does not do the gun's history justice. I like the longer barrel one as it screams "Chicago 1920s". All it needs is the classic instrument case to carry it around in.

Sorry, but I have to disagree! all the WWII and the old Chicago tommy guns were the shorter barrel ones that is why I waited until the came out with the pistol version to buy one. It looks more like the old ones or the WWII version. :D

Top Bottom