• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingpin75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    greencastle
    To the OP... When supervisor and moonlighting copper figure which way is up and realize that they are WRONG....be sure to request them to apologize in writing and you will be satisfied. :D They get stupid....you get stupid and march your arse to Internal Affairs OR A lawyers office!

It wont stop if "they" dont get their hands smacked at the very least. :patriot:
    The deputy/security told me he'd look it up and get back with me tomorrow. If he actually does, i'll be surprised. But I still plan on filing a complaint on the supervisor if deputy/security follows up with me.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You could direct them to the FAQ on the ISP firearms section web page...

While the In State Police site isn't the best for quoting, because it isn't law...
    Remember FAQ #14 and 13.
    The question and answer are actually different numbers because they updated it, and someone messed up.
    But the answer has the question at the beginning, so you won' mix it up.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Great job on standing up for your rights. Just remember if you need help, contact Guy Relford. Maybe you can get a cool apology letter from the department like me. Then you can show that to whoever harasses you in the future.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I have a close friend that has had a few troopers call into the State Police, to varify he could carry in a commercial vehicle (never leaves IN).

They said he couldn't, but after he stood his ground, they make the phone call.

Afterwards, they always send him on his way...

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    We live in a lake community with a POA. They have a Putnam County Sherriff's deputy for security. When I got home, I was getting out of my car, he pulled up beside me to talk about my truck not being registered. Then he noticed my firearm on my side. He told me I needed to "semi-conceal" it.
    I asked him if that was per the POA and he said no that it is state law to which i immediately replied "no it isn't!"
    He then said he could get his supervisor out and he could tell me. i said ok, let's do that. He got his supervisor on the phone instead. the supervisor asked me what was going on, so i told him what the deputy said. the supervisor told me the deputy was right. I told him that I would go print the I.C. for his deputy. He then told me to print it and we'd take care of it in court. I said ok, that's fine with me, thinking ok here's the part where I get arrested. Then i hear silence. He hung up on me?
    I handed the deputy his phone back and said he hung up. He told me he didn't hang up, that his phone has been messing up. after that I told the deputy he should go to handgunlaw.us because he wouldn't see in the I.C. where it says you cannot open carry. he said he'll check it out and get back with me tomorrow. after going around greencastle all day OCing, even getting complimented at o'reilly auto parts on the right way to carry, I get two feet from my house and get hassled? lol
    What is semi-conceal? It's either CC or OC. Why would he tell you that you needed to "semi-conceal"?

If he and his Super were taking the position that OC was illegal then was he just using officer discretion and compromising?

Was it because he knew OC was legal and didn't want to see it or have to deal with MWAG calls from scared sheeple that live in the same community?

Was he projecting his own Dept. policy of discouraging OC? or Was it simple ignorance?

So many questions. This is the reason a follow-up would be good so as to put them in a position of providing proof of their assertion or an acknowledgment that they were mistaken, preferably in writing for future reference, like T-DOGG's example.

Last edited:

NyhtRyder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    Indy
    You would think that being familiar with the handgun laws would be a prerequisite for LEOs. Amazingly, it most definitely is not, as so many stories like yours reveal. Good job for opening his eyes to reality.

BTW, what is POA?
    POA is Property Owners Association

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Understand, king, that you were subject to a Heckler's Veto.
    That's exactly what it was. Applies to a lot of these occurrences.

If the heckler does not like something, he heckles the speaker until the speaker shuts up.

The police dare well know that it is legal, they don't like it so they heckle you.

Heckler's veto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We at INGO need a new name, like an Officer Schmuckatelli Veto or something.
    :laugh:

Where they work in pairs, we could have nominations for the Heckle and Jeckle award.

Or, in a take off from the Batman series, we had the Joker, the Riddler, and now the Heckler.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I would "cc" the POA on anything that deals with this if the deputy was on their clock at the time. If the leo was acting as their official, bought and paid for security agent at the time of the hassling then the POA could be on the hook for any legal suit you brought against the agency for false arrest or even worse if the incident had escalated.

They need to know this as it is their responsibility to hire only those who are trained in the enforcement of the law. If they hire untrained people -- how ever credentialed -- the onus is on them.

kingpin75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    greencastle
    Pleased as punch!

The deputy showed up a few minutes ago, off duty, in his personal vehicle, and smiled and said "You were right!"
    I didn't recognize him out of uniform until he told me who he was. He said he talked to a state trooper who was into guns, and he told him. I also asked if his super knew about it as well, and he answered in the affirmative! Big +1 to deputy for following up!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We live in a lake community with a POA. They have a Putnam County Sherriff's deputy for security. When I got home, I was getting out of my car, he pulled up beside me to talk about my truck not being registered. Then he noticed my firearm on my side. He told me I needed to "semi-conceal" it.
    I asked him if that was per the POA and he said no that it is state law to which i immediately replied "no it isn't!"
    He then said he could get his supervisor out and he could tell me. i said ok, let's do that. He got his supervisor on the phone instead. the supervisor asked me what was going on, so i told him what the deputy said. the supervisor told me the deputy was right. I told him that I would go print the I.C. for his deputy. He then told me to print it and we'd take care of it in court. I said ok, that's fine with me, thinking ok here's the part where I get arrested. Then i hear silence. He hung up on me?
    I handed the deputy his phone back and said he hung up. He told me he didn't hang up, that his phone has been messing up. after that I told the deputy he should go to handgunlaw.us because he wouldn't see in the I.C. where it says you cannot open carry. he said he'll check it out and get back with me tomorrow. after going around greencastle all day OCing, even getting complimented at o'reilly auto parts on the right way to carry, I get two feet from my house and get hassled? lol

Again, this is why I CC. Our LEO for the most part do not know the law they just make it up as they go. Not all of them but enough that I do not care to have the conversation with them. These examples do not like to be told they are wrong by a simple citizen.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The deputy showed up a few minutes ago, off duty, in his personal vehicle, and smiled and said "You were right!"
    I didn't recognize him out of uniform until he told me who he was. He said he talked to a state trooper who was into guns, and he told him. I also asked if his super knew about it as well, and he answered in the affirmative! Big +1 to deputy for following up!

Yes....+1...now, pass it around.

kingpin75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    greencastle
    Again, this is why I CC. Our LEO for the most part do not know the law they just make it up as they go. Not all of them but enough that I do not care to have the conversation with them. These examples do not like to be told they are wrong by a simple citizen.
    This one didn't mind. His super didn't like being told I was legal though.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    I remember when I first got my permit 20 yrs ago, they told me to CC and that OC was legal, but they get calls from citizens and they had to go check it out.

Top Bottom