• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    Pertaining to Animals.

Dogs are obviously a must, or atleast should be, that have been an infallable best friend for man since they're domestication in the Eurasian steppes.

I'd like this thread to deal in the ways animals can further help in a SHTF, or perhaps even after.

Watching the Robin Hood study on History International, I learned of the Icelandic horse and it's use, compared to the regular "war-horse" and I must say I am impressed, and would, if given the opportunity invest in a similar breed.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    how a dog can be used in a SHTF isolation?

Well if you are all alone it would be good for companionship in the event you were isolated.
    Hunting dog?
    guard dog to wake you or alert you when you need to sleep.
    Those are probably the more obvious ones

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    I think outside of "farm" animals, the average domesticated dog is invaluable.

I was watching a pathfinder video on Youtube, in which the individual made his case about selecting a "camp" and things to make life abit nicer. He made note of his four legged "wolve", a gorgeous golden retriever-looking dog, and suggested that where a human has a fault, the dog will not.

Again for the Icelandic horse. It is truly a workers horse. And from what Im learning is equally invaluable.

TheIcelandicHorse_006.jpg
    K7J5415_Icelandic_Horse.jpg
    Horse.jpg
    icelandic-horse-0002.jpg

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Any horse can require a lot of maintenance. To the average person, this could be a problem in a SHTF situation. While the pack animal or transportation advantage is obvious, proper feed, medical, and grooming needs could out weigh the benefits. Security could be a problem as well.

Before I got very deep into any horse as a SHTF option, I would do a lot of research into what it takes to own a horse. Had a TN Walker for awhile and was amazed at the expense and work it took to keep him in good shape. And that was in a decent economy.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    To what type of SHTF are you referring when you ask these questions?

The SHTF during the bolschevic revolution? The SHTF when the currency of Argentina collapsed? The SHTF in Bosnia? The SHTF when Germany invaded France?

In which of those SHTF scenarios, if applied to today's world, would a horse be particularly helpful?

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Travel, Carry equipment, operate old school horse powered equipment (mills, bellows, plows....), and obviously glue and school lunch.

That's what I figured.

I would like to hear from someone what it takes to maintain work horses, where to get equipment to use them like they were used 100 years ago, what it takes to maintain and repair that equipment, and anything else that goes along with the subject.

It just seems like some people have the vision of buying a horse expecting it to be a godsend but have no knowledge of what it actually takes to use one for work, let alone own one

basically if they aren't already a big part of your life, you should probably forget about it.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    That's what I figured.

I would like to hear from someone what it takes to maintain work horses, where to get equipment to use them like they were used 100 years ago, what it takes to maintain and repair that equipment, and anything else that goes along with the subject.

It just seems like some people have the vision of buying a horse expecting it to be a godsend but have no knowledge of what it actually takes to use one for work, let alone own one

basically if they aren't already a big part of your life, you should probably forget about it.

+1 and repped.

Go sit outside an Amish farm for a day sometime. You'll see how hard it is to farm using the old ways.

I think they had a name for city folks that showed up and wanted to be country folks. Dude I think. It was (is) a derogatory term when used in context.

If you want to see what it takes take just like a 100x100 slice of your yard and turn it, till it, mix in the fertilizer, weed it, plant it, irrigate it, weed it, weed it, weed it, irrigate it, weed it, pick it, ... All with hand tools or a horse (if you can find all the equipment, a pretty insurmountable chore in itself).

My guess is that most people will get 50 - 100 square feet of garden turned before they quit.

troy28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Behind the crosshairs

I'm city slicker but, they seam real easy to take care of. I bought a horse and just locked it up with my SHTF gear in the basement. The first week it made a lot of racket but, it hasn't made any noise since then. I haven't even been down there in months.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I'm city slicker but, they seam real easy to take care of. I bought a horse and just locked it up with my SHTF gear in the basement. The first week it made a lot of racket but, it hasn't made any noise since then. I haven't even been down there in months.

Yes sir, you are in for a real treat. Send the dog first to scope it out.

I used to raise horses. We didn't use them to farm, but we did use them a lot. It is not something that just happens. Lots of money and even more time spent to get a horse to do what you need done.

After getting it to do the simple things like let it be ridden start doing other things like make sure it isn't shy of water. Had many a horse just stop when they got to the edge of a creek or puddle that they couldn't jump over.

How will the horse react to other people, other animals and even to you? I know the cowboys always draped the reigns over the post to keep the horse there... they get bored too and don't wanna just stand there all the time.

I have pulled with horses, and it is a chore in itself. Ever spook a big horse while it has something tied to it? There's a lot of fun...

Where will you keep this beast? They take up a lot of room. Where are you going to learn to care for it? Get a rock stuck in a hoof for a few days and see how well the horse walks or pulls anything. Remove it wrong or too late and it can be lame for some time.

Horses are a great tool... if you know what you are doing. They are expensive and take a lot of work and energy to maintain. I know all the basics and probably remember some of the more important stuff about them, but I wouldn't go looking for one until after the SHTF. That way I can decide if I need a work horse or a riding horse. Maybe I can barter for a young one and start training it from the start.

My stupid dog will flinch when I shoot a gun... most horses that I have been around freak out. There is more training as well.

Not sure where I was going with this... sorry for the ramble.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    We used to have some Belgians that we worked ground with and pulled wagons. It was more of a hobby, but they are TRUE work horses.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    To what type of SHTF are you referring when you ask these questions?

The SHTF during the bolschevic revolution? The SHTF when the currency of Argentina collapsed? The SHTF in Bosnia? The SHTF when Germany invaded France?

In which of those SHTF scenarios, if applied to today's world, would a horse be particularly helpful?

"Watching the Robin Hood study on History International...."

"I was watching a pathfinder video on Youtube..."

I think Nordy's idea of SHTF is when his cable goes out. This is a great thread!

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Back to dogs, there are many working breeds that could be very useful in certain SHTF situations. Malamutes and Huskies will pull sleds and sledges, many other breeds would be good with a cart or travois.

They can also obviously serve as guards (for the camp) or guardians (for the flock, which could be your kids - many mountain dog breeds will kill and, if necessary, die in protection of their "flock")...just be sure to research breeds based on your perceived needs.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Back to dogs, there are many working breeds that could be very useful in certain SHTF situations. Malamutes and Huskies will pull sleds and sledges, many other breeds would be good with a cart or travois.

They can also obviously serve as guards (for the camp) or guardians (for the flock, which could be your kids - many mountain dog breeds will kill and, if necessary, die in protection of their "flock")...just be sure to research breeds based on your perceived needs.

Or just skip past that and get a Malinois or German Shepherd :)

Top Bottom