Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In all fairness I don’t care about the children. Or the old people. Or the young ones. Or the middle aged ones. Those kids? They’re gonna die. Old people? Yep. Young ones? Same.

the only thing constant is no one gets out of here alive. What’s important is what you do with your time. Living in fear is NOT how I am living my life.

one more ****ing person tells me how heartless I am .... well they’re right. Y’all done pushed and pushed and pushed to the point where I’d have to find 3 ****s just to give one.

Welcome to my world but yes I do still care but not a damned thing I can do anyway.

Katana1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I mask only when it is required. Some FL EMA idiot says you should wear a mask even at home. He must be one of the people I see wearing masks driving down the highwy in a vehicle by themselves. Just how is that helpful?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    He is also wearing a condom. Just in case.

350.png

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think you mean that would make Covid currently using about 30% of the statewide ICU, right? And to be clear I am not suggesting all ICUs are listed at an expanded capacity. I only know how it was recorded for one hospital.

However, going back to the main point here: it doesn't take much stress on the ICU system to get to a point where care-per-patient is dropping and where there is a stress on equipment and medications.

The drug shortages overflow into some routine care needs and veterinary needs as well. In other words, it causes multiple problems for society.

This is not so simple as "ignore Covid and everything else including the economy and other health issues will be back to normal"
    That last sentence. What makes you think that is their thinking?

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    That last sentence. What makes you think that is their thinking?
    I don't know everyone's thinking. But I see a lot of people blaming the entire economic shift this year on the government's reaction to the pandemic, rather than the pandemic itself. Same with healthcare issues. I'm sure the government response was far from perfect, but I'm also sure the pandemic itself is causing economic and healthcare stresses.

Even if nothing shut down and we let the disease run loose, I can't predict the stress on healthcare or on society when they see that reaction.

I can loosely predict that if about 5% of the infected get an illness that lasts 2 weeks or more, that's a big economic effect on any business.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't know everyone's thinking. But I see a lot of people blaming the entire economic shift this year on the government's reaction to the pandemic, rather than the pandemic itself. Same with healthcare issues. I'm sure the government response was far from perfect, but I'm also sure the pandemic itself is causing economic and healthcare stresses.

Even if nothing shut down and we let the disease run loose, I can't predict the stress on healthcare or on society when they see that reaction.

I can loosely predict that if about 5% of the infected get an illness that lasts 2 weeks or more, that's a big economic effect on any business.

It stands to reason that a 5% illness rate for 2 weeks would affect the economy by about 5%. A much larger percentage "shut down" rate would have a much larger effect. If you shut down 50 or 60 or 70 percent of the economy over a 5% infection rate, that's just stupid. IMHO

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

To the last sentence we know what the outcome is of shutting down the country for 2+ months. Unemployment goes from 5% to over 30% and more government handouts are provided that will/is leading to people refusing to go back to work. Not to mention more deaths because people couldnt/wouldn't see their Doctors. Suicide deaths have gone up. Small businesses going under and closing for good. I'm sure their's plenty more examples of what we KNOW are outcomes of shutting the country down

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

None of that supports the statement. It seems to me you’re reducing their thinking to something that doesn’t really represent it.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    SO... Now *YOU* are trying to tell me what I said?
    At no time did I say "Everyone will be dead".

If reinfection is real, at its current infection rate, everyone will die.

Why is this so difficult for you to understand? It's just math. It's not even complicated math.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    It stands to reason that a 5% illness rate for 2 weeks would affect the economy by about 5%. A much larger percentage "shut down" rate would have a much larger effect. If you shut down 50 or 60 or 70 percent of the economy over a 5% infection rate, that's just stupid. IMHO
    If you assume that none of those other business problems would happen by letting the virus run rampant.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    None of that supports the statement. It seems to me you’re reducing their thinking to something that doesn’t really represent it.
    Then why do we have a thread on businesses destroyed by the shutdowns? It appears to be an assumption that they would function at reasonable profitability in the face of NO shutdowns, which I would say is not necessarily a well thought out assumption

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom