To Lead or Not to Lead that is the Question??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Use of Cast bullets in Glocks?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I DO know that the use of lead bullets in any Polygonal barrel is NOT recommended. Especially in Glocks.

Here is the quandary, I have spoke with MANY Glock shooters that shoot lead bullets in their factory barrels, sometimes followed up by jacketed to "Clean Out", sometimes not.

Today I talked to a MAJOR cast bullet manufacture that says that they shoot their cast bullets (Brinell in the Hi Teens), in their Glocks all of the time, cleaning about every 500 rounds, with NO problems.

This from Wikipedia:
    "One suggestion of what the "additional factor involved in Glock's warning" might be is that Glock barrels have a fairly sharp transition between the chamber and the rifling, and this area is prone to lead buildup if lead bullets are used. This buildup may result in failures to fully return to battery."

I can tell you that shooting cast bullets in my G-19, with a Lone Wolf barrel, and it's tight chamber, I get lead "circles" in the chamber, when shooting 124/125gr. RN cast bullets, that does cause it not to return to battery after about 30 rounds.

So, what say you--Cast bullet shooters??..Bill.

Last edited:

pdg45acp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Kokomo
    All I ever shoot in 45acp and 38 special are cast bullets. I clean after every range outing or shooting match.

I shoot lead and/or plated in my Glocks, I have Lone Wolf Barrels in all three of them. Lone Wolf barrels make a huge difference in accuracy with plated bullets in Glocks.

I also shoot mostly lead in all four of my 380s when they are at the range, I carry JHPs in them when I'm out and about.

BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I used to shoot Missouri Bullet co. 180gr hard cast bullets out of my stock G23 barrel. It did lead up but I could easily shoot 100rd before cleaning.

I tried loading up faster and slower loads with both Unique and Bulleye but I just couldn't find that supposed sweet spot where it wouldn't lead up the barrel.

It would clean out with a lot of scrubbing using a copper wire brush with some copper mesh wrapped around it but it took some work. I eventually just got a Lone Wolf barrel and thats worked fine since.

JRPLANE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Hagerstown, Indiana
    I have shot lead out of my GL21 for years now with no problem, at the present time I am right at the 30,000 mark in this pistol. I have shot 2000 in a weekend without cleaning what so ever. I shoot Vance 230 gr round nose, 5gr titegroup. very little leading.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    Bought a G17 new back in 1988 and started reloading for it with LRN bullets . No one said at that time that "it shouldn't be done". After all these years and about 40K lead bullet reloads, the gun still shoots like it did when new. I also load lead for a G21. Both guns using factory barrels. I would recommend hard cast bullets. And, special care in cleaning the barrel and chamber to remove any lead. MidwayUSA sells their brand of Rust & Lead remover cloth, and the Lewis Lead Remover uses brass screen patches to manually remove lead.

Last edited:

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    No Glocks here. I shoot primarily revolvers and 1911s, with cast bullets being the bulk of my ammo. I clean them after the trip is over, could be 500, could be more or less. I never encounter leading that a little soak in some Hoppes and a old bore brush wrapped in a copper chore-boy can't remove in short order.
    I've never seen lead "rings" in a chamber.
    I've seen revolvers lose a bit of time and shave lead from a bullet before.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    MBC Small "Ball" only in CZ..

No Glocks here. I shoot primarily revolvers and 1911s, with cast bullets being the bulk of my ammo. I clean them after the trip is over, could be 500, could be more or less. I never encounter leading that a little soak in some Hoppes and a old bore brush wrapped in a copper chore-boy can't remove in short order.
    I've never seen lead "rings" in a chamber.
    I've seen revolvers lose a bit of time and shave lead from a bullet before.

Yea CH, this I noticed on the 125gr. Missouri Bullet Co. Small Ball..Loaded to fit my CZ barrels, it is right on the ogive of THAT bullet. Some are being "cut" by the Lone Wolf Barrel chamber. I just do not want to seat that bullet TOO deep+drive up my pressures..Bill.

Top Bottom