• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Castleton, Indianapolis
    Let me start by saying, yes, I know this is partially ridiculous. It started out with me and one of my military friends who used to hunt talking about what handguns can do nowadays. He's stationed out of the country, and is nostalgic about the hunting in the states. Somehow, it ended up to us pulling up an article Handgun Bear Hunting. Now he wants to head out next time he's stateside in May of '11. So INGO, I ask of you

Has anyone here hunted for bear successfully?

Where's the closest area to do said feat?

Any ideas of caliber? It says hot .40 but come on.....

Wheel guns the only way to go? Or just Glock it?

Any great backup SHTF type secondary weapon? Large-bore shotty/bear mace? Does mace even work on a pissed-off shot bear?

From what I've read, May hunting is only legal in 8 states. Is it really morally wrong, or should we wait until he sees leave again in possibly a few more years?

Yes, I know this could be possibly insane. I'm trying to find out whether it's "this could go really bad but we're prepared" insane or "we're going to die so make peace" insane. One way or another he wants to do this. It's just a matter of what's the safest/legal options.

Last edited:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I have killed 5 bears. Two of them I varmint called in and they could of been killed with a handgun.

I go to the wilderness of Idaho every April. Cost less than 800.00 for person door to door. That doesn't include your taxidermy fees.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Castleton, Indianapolis
    I've even looked into the T/C pistols in .308/30-06. Would these count? If so, would it even be a good option? I could see for a higher accuracy at range, because no handgun seems accurate at what I would consider safe (bear can't eat me from here) range (100yards?). I wondered why Idaho has more bears "harvested" per year then most other states. $800 is a lot less then what we were looking at in our first glance.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    163463_case_lg.jpg

Smith & Wesson 500?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I've even looked into the T/C pistols in .308/30-06. Would these count? If so, would it even be a good option? I could see for a higher accuracy at range, because no handgun seems accurate at what I would consider safe (bear can't eat me from here) range (100yards?). I wondered why Idaho has more bears "harvested" per year then most other states. $800 is a lot less then what we were looking at in our first glance.

The bears that I have killed have been from 19' to 287 yards. I take a single shot encore with a custom barrel chambered in 280 ackley.

Handguns are not the best weapon of choice for spot and stalk bear guns. But if thats your thing and your willing to put the effort into it then you will be successful.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Of course a pistol will kill one. Indians use old fashion bows.

I killed a nice big black one with a bow a few years ago.

ambushunter

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Northern IN
    Why would a hand gun be a bad idea? plent of ones with plenty of power. I killed a 375# black bear in canada last year at 18 yards with my bow, made it 42 yards.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Castleton, Indianapolis
    Why would a hand gun be a bad idea? plent of ones with plenty of power. I killed a 375# black bear in canada last year at 18 yards with my bow, made it 42 yards.

As well as everyone gives you a "what the hell is wrong with you" look when I've asked experienced big game hunters who I've met. My wife's grandfather for example. Maybe these are just people who went once with a long gun, and thought that was enough of a challenge. Even the one bow hunter who has killed bear with a bow told me the accuracy of a pistol would make it difficult, according to them.

So would 10mm be enough? I'd trust a Glock 20 almost as much as I'd trust a revolver. (Though I have had problems with my Glock in .40 lol) And 15 rounds of 10mm might end up better then 5 rounds of greater then or equal to .44.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'd carry a magazine of .50AE with one in the pipe and another mag in my pocket and feel pretty safe. All the same, I don't expect to ever try it.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    So would you go with a Desert Eagle on this? I don't know if I trust their reputation for durability. The only person I ever knew who had one hated it.
    Theoretically, I'd trust it. If I had to actually put myself in that situation, I'd want to do some preparation.

I've put only a limited number of rounds through my DE, for a couple reasons: one, after about a mag or so, my hand wants to quit shooting it, and two, at 1.65 per, my wallet wants to quit shooting it.

As for durability, the thing is built like a rifle, with a lugged bolt and a stationary barrel. I haven't heard of durability problems, but then again, I wasn't looking. For me, the DE is just a fun gun, not something I protect myself with. It tends to print, no matter how I carry it.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Castleton, Indianapolis
    Theoretically, I'd trust it. If I had to actually put myself in that situation, I'd want to do some preparation.

I've put only a limited number of rounds through my DE, for a couple reasons: one, after about a mag or so, my hand wants to quit shooting it, and two, at 1.65 per, my wallet wants to quit shooting it.

As for durability, the thing is built like a rifle, with a lugged bolt and a stationary barrel. I haven't heard of durability problems, but then again, I wasn't looking. For me, the DE is just a fun gun, not something I protect myself with. It tends to print, no matter how I carry it.

Currently trying to get the proper preparation so as to not be a article in the future: Idiot's gun jams and is eaten by bear. Friend uselessly flavors idiot with pepper-spray.

1.65 per round is insane. I don't see myself getting good enough with any pistol with that type of cost using it. So I guess that might not be my best option. For carry purposes, I think I've always looked at the Desert Eagle as a major no-no in case legal problems surface. I can just see how much fun prosecution would have in even a completely legal self defense situation, so I guess I heard reliability problem then went on to look at other firearms. Just looked again, and it seems to be word-of-mouth/user error related.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Currently trying to get the proper preparation so as to not be a article in the future: Idiot's gun jams and is eaten by bear. Friend uselessly flavors idiot with pepper-spray.

1.65 per round is insane. I don't see myself getting good enough with any pistol with that type of cost using it. So I guess that might not be my best option. For carry purposes, I think I've always looked at the Desert Eagle as a major no-no in case legal problems surface. I can just see how much fun prosecution would have in even a completely legal self defense situation, so I guess I heard reliability problem then went on to look at other firearms. Just looked again, and it seems to be word-of-mouth/user error related.
    I don't blame you for preparing. I would, too. Very smart, in my book.

I would never think to carry the DE except for fun. I have a holster for it, but it hangs to my knees and I'm 6'2". You couldn't put the thing IWB without hurting yourself somewhere you wouldn't want to.

It's mostly a conversation piece. I love to take people to the range to shoot it. Then they can say they shot it. That's about it.

I don't care about the 1.65 per. I usually buy about 100 rounds at a time and they last awhile. It isn't a gun I need to get good with, so I really don't need to practice.

I must say, though, that I thought about trying bowling pins with it. That could be fun. Those rounds have more energy at 100 yards than a .44 magnum does at the muzzle.

coyotedown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    if your after spring bears than canada is the place to go. As for the iron on your hip, I've known them to be killed with .357, but I would opt for encore in 7mm-08.

Top Bottom