• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmfisher71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    Brownstown, IN
    been looking at getting an AR-15.. local gun shop(Acme sports) has one that i was looking at that felt good priced at $795... nothing really fancy collapsable stock, forward assist... dont remember the brand right off hand though... just curious if anyone coupld help me here as i am not very familiar with these rifles, i do have a friend that can help me build one.. just curious if i can build one or buy one for a better price:dunno:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    It really depends on what you want. I built mine, I have about $475 in it. Do you need all new components? fix or collapsible stock?
    This is what I did, now the place I went had used items for sale but you could find them here on the classified ads.
    I ordered a Delaware Mach. stripped lower from r-guns, bought a DPMS LPK, used A2 stock and buffer, a complete used upper and a BCG from a local store.
    Deals are out there if you look(here, gun broker, etc.) The plus side to building every time you shoot it you'll remember you built it.

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    You can get more out of your budget when you build yourself. That being said I spent a little more the first time picking up some tools that I wanted to make the build easier.

It's also true that you can easily get carried away when your building a rifle yourself. Although if you are the type to do that your probably going to do the same modifying a shelf rifle.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I say buy your first one and build the rest There will be a second one :)

twostepadin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Rockville Indiana
    honestly if you do not have much experience with the overall design as of yet. buy the first one, then when you catch the blackrifle plague. you got one to look at for when you but your kit parts.

best of luck.

dmfisher71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    Brownstown, IN
    i am a fan of building my own stuff if possible (quads mostly) i like to know whats inside and that its RIGHT... i have a couple good friends that are more than happy to assist me building one... One guy just sold his BAD A** 458 socom he built....and there has to be a "ar-15 for Dummies" out there somewhere

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I say buy your first one and build the rest There will be a second one :)

honestly if you do not have much experience with the overall design as of yet. buy the first one, then when you catch the blackrifle plague. you got one to look at for when you but your kit parts.

Agreed.

But it would help if the OP could give more info on the rifle in question. ;)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I recommend buying your first and building the rest.

If you buy first you'll have a warrantied gun that you can shoot NOW. You will also learn a lot about the platform without the possibility of messing it up.

You do save some money by building, and you can build it to your exact specifications, but you'll also have to spend $$ on tools up front.

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    I ordered a kit from DPMS ,never had even held an AR 15 at before that,at first I thought 'no way' could I do it myself,but all i had was an exploded drawing and in several hours it was together. You really should have a ' vise block' for assembly.Research it first.I think Field & Stream website has a video on building one,look on U-Tube also

troy28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Behind the crosshairs
    A lot will come down to your comfort level with firearms and mechanical ability. The good news is if you get into a tight spot the guys at ACME are a great bunch to work with and will help you out. They are also a good source to get parts from as well.

I would agree with the others of buying the first one and upgrading parts as you go along. By the time you are done upgrading the first one you should have about enough extra parts to start building your second configuration.

If you are new to the AR world everyone and their brother sells upgrade parts. Do your research of who makes quality in spec parts. You typically will get what you pay for. I personally would recommend Spikes Tactical for either a complete new rifle or for parts. You should be able to buy or build a good quality rifle at a competitive cost. Your equipment will also be backed by very good CS oriented company.

Good luck and start saving now for your second one.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Smith and Wesson, DEL-TON, and Spikes all make mid quality, mid priced AR's If you do not want to full with building one. The thing about building one, is you can choose the parts you use. To me guns are like cars, some brands have better components then others. Unless you buy a high end AR.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I don't think in the market today you can build much cheaper than you can buy unless you are planning on going top shelf or an unusual caliber. Many of the alternative calibers come from boutique builders who charge you a bunch for their name on it. A low end basic rifle...not much difference. Plus it will be worth less when done if you ever look to sell it.

blaster2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Now seems to be very good time to purchase a new complete rifle. I see the DPMS Oracle (forward assist, dust cover and collapsible stock) for $639 new in a gun shop in INdy area. That seems like a nice price for a decent gun.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Since most of the best AR15s out there are around $1k even, you're not going to do better building yourself, and you'll have a warranty with a complete rifle. My personal bias and preference goes to RRA, but since colt's can be had at the same price point now, for a basic AR15 I think they're(colt) the better option. RRA is more target/range oriented, due mostly to weight and the amazing factory trigger.

I'd spend some time figuring out what you need. If you can't make your mind up go as close to mil-spec as possible to avoid issues in the future. Spend money on getting a good one now, then you can figure out what you want later... You may not want to do anything to it. It took me 3 years before I wanted to do anything to my RRA, and in all honesty it didn't make it any better, just something different to try.

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    You can always build one cheaper with the parts you prefer than getting it in one peice. You can put together a rifle that groups & performs just like a Les Baer & save a thousand. Ive already done it. Why pay big for hype?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom