To answer why i want to finally get a gun and what about smith and wesson?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Well I will add Glock back into my "maybe" category for checking out since I read so many law enforcement use them. I will try to keep the explosions and such in the back of my mind.

To answer a quetsion from someone who posted:

I am new to wanting to carry/have a handgun for home defense.

I want to use for defense and carry and home.

The reason I am proceeding is 3 fold:

I feel the world is getting more violent even Indiana.
    I have read about the rash of home invasions and killings and even carjackings ending in execution style killlings.

another is a few years ago a man in a pick up pinned me in at a HARDEES drive up order microphone thing. He pulled in front of me and i couldnt even get out to go inside because the order thing blocked my door and cars were behind me. This moron kept raving about his wife and such ... I assume he thought i was a guy that looked like some dude cheating with his wife. eventually he left after he realized i didnt have aclue what was going on but i felt pretty helpless. had he had a gun id been sitting duck and stuck even tho he was wrong. I didnt like that feeling.

Another incident was around christmas when lots of people were out of town 2 punks dressed like goth punk rockers kicked on a door across from my apartment. i went out to peek out and saw them beating and kicking the door and it finally was kicked in. They ran in and rumaged around. I called 911 but i guess they left before the police arrived if ever (no idea when they arrived I waited for a long time but it was like 4am).

So back on topic.

Are smith and wesson guns better than glocks/springfields for self defense home defense and carrying? which is moire carry friendly?

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    A lot of what you are asking is personal opinion....

Have you ever shot a handgun? If not, you may want to get some serious trigger time in before you make any decisions...

My suggestion would be to talk to some people at your neighborhood ranges, and get to know some of the regulars... then see if they would let you shoot their handguns.... or, to expedite the process, go to an INGO shoot... everyone is pretty good about letting others shoot their toys! :rockwoot:

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I will try to keep the explosions and such in the back of my mind.

This really is a non-issue. You would be best to just completely remove it from your mind.

It does sound like you are very new to the idea of firearms and carrying.

I also suggest reading up on the laws/regulations, researching different brands (online, video reviews, etc), and getting some serious trigger time (go to shooting ranges that rent, shoot with friends, etc).

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Remember, when it come to guns, cars, stereos, dogs, or bacon, the subjective is objective.

1. Study up, read all you can, watch some DVDs, talk to gun nut buddies. Learn the Four Rules.

2. Go to school and let your software select your hardware. Software (training) is to Hardware (the gun) as 3 is to 1.

3. Go shooting with friends. Shoot their guns see what you like.

4. Go rent some guns and see what YOU like.

5. Find a pistol you like, buy another one just like it and buy bunches of magazines and ammo.

6. Get your carry license. "But I'm just going to the range and . . ." No, get. the. license.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    you do realize you dont have to make a new thread every day about what your looking for, you can just respond to your other threads.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Do what evey one else has said and don't concern yourself that much with brand. Handle a lot of hand guns and find out what feels comfortable to you and If you really want to see alot of hand guns just go to Friday Night Steel at Marion Co. fish and game. If you live in the Indy area. Geez I've haven't been in a while gotta go to the next one now that I have 5 mags for the Colt and 5 mags for the Ruger.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    What part of the state do you live on? That will help us point you in a direction to go so that you can fondle/look/fire some of the guns you are considering. It will also allow other members to inform you of different training that may be in the area for you.

All guns can blow up. Ammo issues are the usual culperit. Ever seen a tank cannon blow?and they are stout. I have a Glock and doesn't concern me at all. Why? Because they are a quality manufacturer. So is S&W and Springfield as well as most others.

PTA grad

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I would start with considering what caliber you want, the smaller the
    round = more accuracy, but less stopping power - bigger round = more stopping power but less accuracy. The differences between a 9mm and .40 can be a night and day difference even within the same brand-model i.e. the glock 23 and the 19 the 23/.40 cal snappy- lots of recoil, the 19- half the recoil and twice as accurate. Id also recommend shooting a 9mm, .40cal, and a .45 cal before buying find what you like and get good with it.:draw:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Well I will add Glock back into my "maybe" category for checking out since I read so many law enforcement use them.

This has as much to do with the dirt cheap pricing, if not more, that the departments get as anything else.

Glock/S&W M&P/Springfield are all good, accurate and reliable. If you can shoot them before making a decision, do so; if not get the one that fits your hand the best.

I went with Springfield XD-40 4" several years ago, and I have not had a second thought about it since. I do not like the grip angle of the Glock and I like the trigger better than the S&W M&P.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I would start with considering what caliber you want, the smaller the
    round = more accuracy, but less stopping power - bigger round = more stopping power but less accuracy. The differences between a 9mm and .40 can be a night and day difference even within the same brand-model i.e. the glock 23 and the 19 the 23/.40 cal snappy- lots of recoil, the 19- half the recoil and twice as accurate. Id also recommend shooting a 9mm, .40cal, and a .45 cal before buying find what you like and get good with it.:draw:

Huh? Pray tell. How is a smaller round more accurate? I'm afraid this isn't true. It may be more controllable by someone with no/limited experience, but it's not inherently more accurate. Please don't confuse the newbies, newbie.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Choosing a defense gun is a study in compromise. It's not a decision to be taken terribly lightly, but don't let finding that "perfect" firearm hold you back from making a decision when you're ready. It's likely your wants or needs will evolve as you gain experience. The good news is that guns tend to hold their value pretty well. If you "outgrow" a particular gun you can always trade for something more your style.

I know that isn't something that came up in the OP and I'm not by any means suggesting the OP not do his homework, but fear of buying the "wrong" thing has held me up many times in the past. I'd hate to be disarmed simply because I couldn't find that one perfect pistol when there are so many good pistols to choose from.

Top Bottom