• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Last year i picked up a carbine verson and it seemed in good shape but when you remove the bolt and look at the bottom at the base of the u shaped cut in (bolt guide rails) there is a small crack a little ove a centemeter long right down the middle. i just want to know if i should fire it with this or not. Its my first old gun so... also id love a tip on where to get some headspace gages for it. its nice almost all matching numbers just rec different. I think im going to custom the gun sonce not matching nums dont know yet. would make an awsome dangerous game project.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Are you talking about a Mosin Nagant? Because that's not the same thing as a Nagant.

considering he's talking about bolts and carbines and such, I'm going out on a limb and say that "yes, he is talking about the Mosin-Nagant rifles"

-J-

dkc485

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Greenwood
    I think he means that there is a crack in the receiver. Until we see a picture I won't know for sure. If it is a crack in the receiver, DO NOT FIRE IT!!! l

Lucky for you my friend Mosin Nagant rifles are cheap. My:twocents: is to buy two more and call me in the morning:D

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Yeah I need to not write posts when im way past my sleep time lol. Anyway No the crack is not in the receiver. its in the bolt.
    P1010863.jpg

I assume its from several decades of being dry fired but Id very much like to keep my jaw and eyesocket where they are :)

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    after further research at the website suggested i have found that i have a m44 made in hungery. the history is cool but ithink im still gone remake it. ill wait till i know if i can fire it and have fired it if ill massacure it :)

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Id send him a message if the site would let me Grrrrr. Ill just have to wait a bit and post some more. If any one knows more about the history or rarity of the hungarian m44 let me know id love to hear it. Besides i can always just buy another one to work on. Id just like to do it as a classic style sporter/dangerous game rifle. If I do Im gona do it right with a full refinish and top grain wood. There a website that does all sorts of stocks for alot of different bolt guns. its all they do. Sportster Style

clyde

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    I'd just repair it, or keep trying Indygunworks. The split looks to be in a an area that will only get worse with use, whether it be shooting or just operating the bolt so I would definitely fix it if you want to shoot it. Or just buy another bolt, but keep your old bolthead.

techno.m3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Did you pay a premium for the hungarian model? A dealer at a show tried to talk me into paying a premium for the hungarian carbine. I just picked up the numbers matching 91/30 next to it and talked him down to $80. He wanted like $120 for the m44.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    I bought when i still lived in illinois so it was a bit steep. 135 after all taxes and fees bs. Im so loving living in indiana. Its in great shap minus the bolt problem. So fill me in why such a sought after model?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a Hungarian M44 too and find the gun to be a lot heavier than my son's Ruskie M44 and my M38. It also has one of the nicest triggers I've felt on a non-Finn Mosin. The fit and finish on the Hungarian M44 I have is nicer than on any of our other Mosin's too. That's not saying too much though, as the rest of our are either war time production or went through the war and picked up the patina of use.

I'm not sure of any real differences between the Hungarian Mosins and others besides what I put above.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Speaking of MNs, I was watching Enemy at the Gates and I noticed checkering on the stock of the rifle in the wolf shooting scene.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Im hopeing I can get it fixed soon so i can fire it the first time. Ihear the are a blast. Literally and figuritively. If anyone has barreled rec 44 or shorty id be interested for my project. Id also like to know what models to not massacure as well :)

Top Bottom