• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Dependent on where you have it done they may not do it darker than the legal limit. I took a car in once and they said it was illegal to install it on a street car. I corrected them by saying it was illegal to HAVE it darker, not install it. They wouldn't do it, so I found somebody that would. The original place wanted me to pay for canceling the appointment, my response;:nuts::rofl:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I saw a St. Joe Co. police car at the ballpark the other night with the darkest tinted windows that I have ever seen. Can't imagine it could have been legal. Though maybe it was a special K-9 car to keep Rin-Tin-Tin cool but it wasn't.

I have been thinking about getting the windows done on the wife's car. It has black leather interior and gets pretty toasty. Any good installers in the northern Indiana area?

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I have 20% on my fronts, 5% in the rears. Love the combo. First truck had 35% and it just wasn't enough. If you want them tinted - get them tinted.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    T If anything I want my taillights to be brighter not darker. Sheesh.

Back in 05 or -06 I was pulled over my a sheriff at Post and Washington for of all things... Having tail lights that were to bright. Got a fix it ticket.
    Wish I still had a copy of it to post. Never did quite understand it as he showed me his book that said they had to be visible from atleast 500 feet.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I have 5% over 20% on the back 5% on the front and 35% on the entire windshield. It is extremely dark but i like it. Had it for 3 years only got pulled over for it once in Haughville cop asked why my windows were so dark i said i bought the car this way (lie) and i was on my way.

I've been a window tinter for 15yrs. It is not legal to have dark film on your car, as well as illegal to 'apply' the film to the car. When Indiana changed the tint law (back in 2004 I believe) I haven't filmed a single vehicle illegally. IMO anything darker than 20% is not safe. If you were to run someone over, or pull out in front of someone, it 'could' be argued that the dark film contributed to the accident.

Just as we have 'anti gun' ppl arguing semantics to make it appear as though guns are dangerous and kill ppl, there are 'anti window tint' ppl arguing against window film period (for example, look at the laws in Michigan or Ohio)... We certainly (as an industry) don't need any more drama from drivers that think it's 'cool' to have dark film just for the sake of having dark film.

Since we like to cite IC on here, I'll add a bit from my profession:

IC 9-19-19-4 said:
    Tinting, glazing, or sunscreening vehicle windows
    Sec. 4. (a) This section does not apply to a manufacturer's tinting or glazing of motor vehicle windows or windshields that is otherwise in compliance with or permitted by FMVSS205 as promulgated in 49 CFR 571.205. Proof from the manufacturer, supplier, or installer that the tinting or glazing is in compliance with or permitted by
    FMVSS205 must be carried in the vehicle.
    (b) This section does not apply to the driver of a vehicle:
    (1) that is owned by an individual required for medical reasons to be shielded from the direct rays of the sun; or
    (2) in which an individual required for medical reasons to be shielded from the direct rays of the sun is a habitual passenger.
    The medical reasons must be attested to by a physician or optometrist licensed to practice in Indiana, and the physician's or optometrist's certification of that condition must be carried in the vehicle. The physician's or optometrist's certificate must be renewed annually.
    (c) A person may not drive a motor vehicle that has a:
    (1) windshield;
    (2) side wing;
    (3) side window that is part of a front door; or
    (4) rear back window;
    that is covered by or treated with sunscreening material or is tinted to the extent or manufactured in a way that the occupants of the vehicle cannot be easily identified or recognized through that window from outside the vehicle. However, it is a defense if the sunscreening material applied to those windows has a total solar reflectance of visible light of not more than twenty-five percent (25%) as measured on the nonfilm side and light transmittance of at least thirty percent (30%) in the visible light range.
    (d) A person may not tint or otherwise cover or treat with sunscreening the parts of a vehicle described in subsection (c) so that operation of the vehicle after the tinting or sunscreening is performed is a violation of subsection (c). However, it is not a violation of this chapter if this work is performed for a person who submits a physician's or optometrist's statement as described in subsection (b) to the person who is to perform the work.

IC 9-19-19-8 said:
    Action of tinting or applying sunscreening so vehicle occupants not easily identified; classification of offense
    Sec. 8. A person who violates section 4(d) of this chapter commits a Class A infraction.
    As added by P.L.12-2003, SEC.3.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I did 20% on my doors, and 5% everywhere else including brow. I like it that way as I can see out my front doors at night, but from the outside it looks real dark outside.

stack23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    Just got back from the shop, i went with 20% all around and i'm glad i did. My truck had factory tint on the cab and back windows and the 20% over that gives it a nice dark look, and the 2 passenger windows are just right. Ran me $130 for everything with a lifetime warranty on the tint, which i feel was a good deal. Thanks for the input everyone, appreciate it

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I have 15% on the side windows and 5% over the factory tint on the back windows of my project truck. I have to roll the windows down to back into a spot at night.

My daily has 20% in the front windows and brow to match the factory tint on the rear windows, which I think is perfect. I would like to be a bit darker during the day, but then it would be a hassle at night.

Really? I thought you truck was 5% all the way around. Guess I was wrong. How's the truck coming along anyway? Any changes to it?

No Lot Lizards

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Kenworth W900L
    I've been a window tinter for 15yrs. It is not legal to have dark film on your car, as well as illegal to 'apply' the film to the car. When Indiana changed the tint law (back in 2004 I believe) I haven't filmed a single vehicle illegally. IMO anything darker than 20% is not safe. If you were to run someone over, or pull out in front of someone, it 'could' be argued that the dark film contributed to the accident.

Just as we have 'anti gun' ppl arguing semantics to make it appear as though guns are dangerous and kill ppl, there are 'anti window tint' ppl arguing against window film period (for example, look at the laws in Michigan or Ohio)... We certainly (as an industry) don't need any more drama from drivers that think it's 'cool' to have dark film just for the sake of having dark film.

Since we like to cite IC on here, I'll add a bit from my profession:

Good for you. I can see fine with my tints and dont need the government or anyone else to tell me otherwise.

Ltrain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    I got pulled over specifically for my tint and got a ticket for it. It was 5%. I had to remove it. I replaced it with 20%...I'm a gluten. I've never had anything said since.

No Lot Lizards

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Kenworth W900L
    I got pulled over specifically for my tint and got a ticket for it. It was 5%. I had to remove it. I replaced it with 20%...I'm a gluten. I've never had anything said since.

Was this in Marion County? Just curious. My buddy got pulled over for tints 20 years ago in Commiefornia and the cop cut the tint off right on the side of the road. Im so glad we have tgem here to protect us

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

I had a firebird with 5% on the back glass and 20% on the windows years ago.

Got a ticket for that one :rolleyes:

County cop that used to set at the entrance of the housing addition and had a hard on for dark tinted windows. Had a meter to read the glass and all that.

Weird thing was he never said a word about the .45 Ruger I had in between my seat and console.
    :dunno:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I had cars with 20% and 30% tint. I would not go darker than 20% for night driving. Now understand that the interior color will made tint seem lighter or darker. Black interior will darken the tint. Grey or tan will lighten the tint.

This is 30% on my 2001 Crown Vic. Tan interior made the tint look lighter.

IMPD2001CrownVic1.jpg

This is 30% tint on my 2006 BMW. It has a grey interior but I think the darker exterior color also makes the tint look darker.

2011-07-03_19-34-44_29.jpg

This is my 1993 Passat that I no longer own. I had it tinted with 20%. It was a dark car with a black interior. Tint was as dark as I needed it. It was a little bit of a challenge at night.

Motegi2-1.jpg

Top Bottom