• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stack23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    Have an appointment to get my windows tinted on my truck, just wondering for the people who do have tints what % did you go with? I believe 35% is the legal % in Indiana but i kind of want to go darker around 20. Any feedback/advice or pics is appreciated.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I've had a black Grand Am with 5% and 30% on the entire windshield. NEVER AGAIN!!! never got pulled over, but could not see well. I have had 20% on sides and back window and found I like 15% which I think is really 17%. All my cars were tinted at Wax Werks in Castleton.

Diesel24v

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Central
    I had 15% on the driver and passenger of my 01 dodge with 5% all of the rear windows and never had a problem. I know several people with 5% all the way around and no problems.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    35% is the legal limit, however a lot of people do either 15% or 20%. Depending on which window you get it put on, you might be able to go even darker than that. I know a few people that do 20% on the fronts and 5% on the rear windows.

ETA:: Depending on where you live, when you drive, how dim the road is you may have a problem with 5%-15% on the sides. I drove a truck with 10% on the sides and had to drive with the windows down.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    you can go 20. i always have. just stay away from the spots that will draw attention to you and give the police "probable" reason to make a stop and you will be fine.
    example: 18th & college at 2 am or washington street in the red light area.

i have never had an issue with 20%. i think if you go 5% you may have more of an issue. but 20% is ok.

stack23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    I've had a black Grand Am with 5% and 30% on the entire windshield. NEVER AGAIN!!! never got pulled over, but could not see well. I have had 20% on sides and back window and found I like 15% which I think is really 17%. All my cars were tinted at Wax Werks in Castleton.

Yeah 5% is DARK, i want to be able to see at night and not get attention from the cops. What did you not like about the 20%? Not dark enough?

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    20% seems to be the happy spot, i've had 5% on the rear window of my truck before, at night you can't see a damn thing to back up. 20 is illegal but cops really don't bother you for it, like said above, unless you're out late in a drinking hotspot, then it's just a reason to check.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Yeah 5% is DARK, i want to be able to see at night and not get attention from the cops. What did you not like about the 20%? Not dark enough?

I didn't think it was really dark enough for my likings atleast. I thought the legal limit was pretty pointless and 20 isn't really much better. 15 you can still see out of pretty easily but still harder to see in which makes it easier to hide stuff in a parking lot or what not.

Here was my 20%
    park010.jpg

My 5% w 30% windshield (the black car, nevermind the cavy)
    cavgrand009.jpg

I am almost positive this is 15% although I don't know for sure as it came like this when I bought it.
    531100_397102630319068_923694551_n.jpg

stack23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    thanks for the pics and nice beamers!

I think im going to go with 20%, the last pic looks good but i think that's on the border of being a cop magnet lol.

edit: on the first pic did you get 20% all around? the back windows look darker

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    The fronts appear to be lighter just from all the light coming in through the windshield. While the rear windows are all tinted.
    Also the quality of tint plays a role in how dark they are.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    The fronts appear to be lighter just from all the light coming in through the windshield. While the rear windows are all tinted.
    Also the quality of tint plays a role in how dark they are.

This, yes they are all tinted except the windshield in the first pic.
    Sadly that car is no longer with us as it was totaled just 3 months after buying her. She was tboned at 25th and Post by a truck that had no license/insurance :xmad:

Also on the first picture in the rear side windows, if you look closely about half way up you can see the driver's side window so it is somewhat easy to see in/out of.

20% is nice though, I know you will like it when you have it done tomorrow :)

Last edited:

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    with a land rover, i have WAYYY to many windows.. 15 all the way around is the only real option.. however 5% on the windows behind the drivers seat and 5% brow is an option.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    20 is perfect. Still can see out at night but can't see in during the day and keeps the cab nice and shaded. Do not get your front windshield tinted. That's just dumb if you ask me. That's up there with tinting your brake lights. Just my opinion.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    20 is perfect. Still can see out at night but can't see in during the day and keeps the cab nice and shaded. Do not get your front windshield tinted. That's just dumb if you ask me. That's up there with tinting your brake lights. Just my opinion.
    AGREE, the brow on the windshield is fine for me, (i despise the blue stuff). and who tints their tail lights.. seriously.? you are just begging to get run over, rear-ended, pulled over, etc. :dunno:

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    AGREE, the brow on the windshield is fine for me, (i despise the blue stuff). and who tints their tail lights.. seriously.? you are just begging to get run over, rear-ended, pulled over, etc. :dunno:

Trust me Ive seen people tint their tail lights so that their vehicle looks cooler. I guess its more important to be cool than get rear ended. One of the stupidest things Ive seen. If anything I want my taillights to be brighter not darker. Sheesh.

No Lot Lizards

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Kenworth W900L
    I have 5% over 20% on the back 5% on the front and 35% on the entire windshield. It is extremely dark but i like it. Had it for 3 years only got pulled over for it once in Haughville cop asked why my windows were so dark i said i bought the car this way (lie) and i was on my way.

nox

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    TX->IL->IN->MO->IN
    I have 15% on the side windows and 5% over the factory tint on the back windows of my project truck. I have to roll the windows down to back into a spot at night.

My daily has 20% in the front windows and brow to match the factory tint on the rear windows, which I think is perfect. I would like to be a bit darker during the day, but then it would be a hassle at night.

Top Bottom