• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Have you ever made a time capsule or thought about making one?
    Im talking about a box with a bunch of crap that you seal and open in 5, 10 or 15 years.
    Im thinking about doing that with my better half.
    Im not sure what to put in it yet.Im also not sure how to make the actual box.Im thinking about either a wooden box that I could close with a padlock (and throw the key away), add a seal, glue etc ... or a large ammo can that already comes with a rubber seal that could help protect the items inside.

Do you have any ideas of what I could put inside or any ideas on how to make the box, seal it and stuff? :dunno:

So far im just thinking about including notes that we would write the day we would seal the box, a newspaper, pictures, a few items (not sure which ones yet), maybe a box of ammo (im sure I would be glad to find some ammo in 10 years).

Any idea would help. :)

New50CalCan.jpg

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Make it a 100-year time capsule, but the only contents should be another, slightly smaller, 100-year time capsule. Epic troll. You'd be trolling the future.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Make it a 100-year time capsule, but the only contents should be another, slightly smaller, 100-year time capsule. Epic troll. You'd be trolling the future.

:):

lol that would be hilarious!
    I actually want to open it myself so I might make it 10 years idk.
    Not that I just have 10 more years to live. :D

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Put something "high tech" in it, so you can laugh about how primitive it looks 20 years from now.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Put something "high tech" in it, so you can laugh about how primitive it looks 20 years from now.

I cant really afford high tech stuff just to store them for 10 years, like an Ipad or something.
    Well we will already be laughing at the Ipad in 6 months anyway, some are even already laughing at it today. :):

I guess I can find non-expensive high tech stuff. :dunno:

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    I'm in the process of making a "treasure chest" for my newborn son, to be opened on his 5th birthday. So far I have the following items:

-Beads
    -Foreign coins & bills
    -Whistle made of elk horn
    -A pencil made from a branch
    -Shells
    -Magnifying glass
    -Horse Teeth
    -1/2 Geode
    -Matchbox Car
    -Several interesting minerals, pyrite, hematite, carved soapstone, etc.
    -Shark teeth

I plan to put it into a 5.56 ammo can, wrap in plastic, put into a 20mm ammo can, and fill the gaps with expanding foam. Then bury it in the back yard once the ground's not frozen.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'm in the process of making a "treasure chest" for my newborn son, to be opened on his 5th birthday. So far I have the following items:

-Beads
    -Foreign coins & bills
    -Whistle made of elk horn
    -A pencil made from a branch
    -Shells
    -Magnifying glass
    -Horse Teeth
    -1/2 Geode
    -Matchbox Car
    -Several interesting minerals, pyrite, hematite, carved soapstone, etc.
    -Shark teeth

I plan to put it into a 5.56 ammo can, wrap in plastic, put into a 20mm ammo can, and fill the gaps with expanding foam. Then bury it in the back yard once the ground's not frozen.

That sounds pretty cool (I just find the teeth a bit creepy for some reasons).
    Foreign coins may be a good idea.
    That way I can remenber the Euro zone in a few years. :rolleyes:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Pvc, or better yet, ABS pipe and an oxygen absorber. Whatever you put in, use something with a date on it.

Im not that worried about humidity and such, im not going to burry the box in the ground since im not sure where I will be in 10 years, we might move out and stuff.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I was going to suggest the PVC. I've made outdoor video camera housings with that. You can get fittings for 4 or 6" pipe, cement a cap on one end, a screw fitting on the other, ptfe tape on the lid. You can cut the pipe to length for capacity. I'd throw moisture and oxygen absorbers in on principle. Find it, unscrew the lid, there you are. Want to bury it? Post hole digger. Some ARs could, um, disappear that way...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I was going to suggest the PVC. I've made outdoor video camera housings with that. You can get fittings for 4 or 6" pipe, cement a cap on one end, a screw fitting on the other, ptfe tape on the lid. You can cut the pipe to length for capacity. I'd throw moisture and oxygen absorbers in on principle. Find it, unscrew the lid, there you are. Want to bury it? Post hole digger. Some ARs could, um, disappear that way...

I dont own any AR yet.If I had one I couldn't burry it for 10 years in the yard.I would go crazy and it would stay burried for 10 seconds I think.
    If I owned a dozen AR I could burry a few but im not there yet. :)

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Sounds like a good plan...write a letter in there about how great freedom is and how much you wish they could taste a little glimpse of that freedom.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Sounds like a good plan...write a letter in there about how great freedom is and how much you wish they could taste a little glimpse of that freedom.

Maybe I should throw the Bill of Rights in there, in 10 years maybe people wont even know what it is anymore. :dunno:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Maybe I should throw the Bill of Rights in there, in 10 years maybe people wont even know what it is anymore. :dunno:

And a constitution, a dictionary, a couple of Esee knives coated in wheel bearing grease, and a lansky knife sharpener.

(if it's not apparent, I have doubts about our country and our freedoms)

I think it's worth being said, "hope for the best, plan for the worse"

Top Bottom