• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    As long as it stays in the middle of nowhere (Bourbon County, Kansas, probably counts) :) we're cool. When it is airborne in a dense population center, then it gets problematic.

But, I don't really disagree with your basic assertion - there are germs out there that can kill us that we haven't even found yet.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    With all the Tamiflu we are putting in the environment, my guess for "severe flu epidemic" is moving up the list. Unfortunately, it might coincide with the inability of the federal government to borrow more money, if we are unlucky.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Along those lines, I read that the flu has killed 11 USians this year. That's about 11x the number of ebola deaths in the US this year.

If the antibiotic-resistance increases, thatsa gonna be a problem.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Maybe that..........or maybe giant ants.

them-ant-on-hill1.jpg

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    If the antibiotic-resistance increases, thatsa gonna be a problem.
    Antibiotics are not useful for virus infections, only bacterial. Viruses commandeer the machinery of living cells from the inside, where antibiotics cannot reach them. It's always a race between the immune system and virus propagation. The loser dies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    BBC News - Whooping cough proteins evolving 'unusually' fast

Whooping cough may be evolving to outsmart the currently used vaccine, say researchers.
    Analysis of strains from 2012 shows the parts of the pertussis bacterium that the vaccine primes the immune system to recognise are changing.
    The "million dollar question" he said was what, if anything, could be done to improve the vaccine - which is still the best defence we have - and prevent future outbreaks.

In itself, whooping cough might not be particularly apocalyptic. Rather, it may be a case study in how bacteria evolve in response to vaccines.

Earl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2014
    United States
    I bought this movie, and love it. Peter Graves shot off the antennae from the very ant in the picture with a .38 snub, off hand, while running! James Whitmore finished it off with a Tommy Gun.

Personally I'm hoping for giant ants... At least we can shoot at them. A virus would just be boring.

Top Bottom