• ...and so much more!
  • tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    Accidental shooting - Florida Gun Range

Wonder what really happened, guns don't usually just start firing on their own, not even Jennings. No matter what happened, they broke at least 2 of the 10 commandments, treat every gun loaded and always keep it pointed in a safe direction. But instead this will probably turn into another story of how a dangerous gun randomly hurt 3 people.

Three People Injured in Florida Gun Range Mishap - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Not good at all. Not too familiar with the Jennings. Can it slam fire? That would be the only way I can see a pistol firing 3 times in that situation.

Either way, gun should have been pointed down range / toward the ground / in a safe direction.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Must have been one of these:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpgL5kuBpMA]YouTube - Plaxico Burress On Gun Safety[/ame]

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Three People Injured in Florida Gun Range Mishap - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Sunday , October 04, 2009

LAKELAND, Fla. —
    A Tampa couple and an Irish tourist were shot at a Lakeland gun range after a handgun accidentally fired. Polk County sheriff's deputies say it's not entirely clear how many times Michael and Sherri Thourot's 9mm accidentally went off Saturday, or what caused the handgun to fire. The pistol was a Jennings make.
    The man in an adjacent stall, 29-year-old Gary Flynn, of Ireland, was most seriously injured. He underwent surgery after being hit in the shoulder and throat, and was listed in stable condition.
    Michael Thourot was shot in the left hand, and Sherri Thourot was hit in the left arm. Both were also listed in stable condition.

Oy, just what we need...not that I am not sympathetic to the victims, but I am sure the antis will have a field day with this...

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    With the amount of new gun owners I'm surprised we do not here more of stories like this. I'm glad no one has died. Sounds like Mr. Flynn might make it.

When talking to new shooters we all need to stress the importance of getting some training. Whether it be a class or a few range visits with someone who is an experienced marksman.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    3 people injured at gun range?!?

I don't understand stories like this. They say it is unclear how many times the gun accidently fired. Or how it fired?

Uh, just curious, anyone here have a gun spontaneously fire in their house? Or spontaneously fire while in their holster? If these peoples have not figured it out yet, my bet is that SOMEONE HAD THEIR FINGER ON THE TRIGGER of that gun and actually pulled that very same trigger. Apparently multiple times :rolleyes:

Three People Injured in Florida Gun Range Mishap
    Sunday, October 04, 2009
    PrintShareThis
    LAKELAND, Fla. — A Tampa couple and an Irish tourist were shot at a Lakeland gun range after a handgun accidentally fired.

Polk County sheriff's deputies say it's not entirely clear how many times Michael and Sherri Thourot's 9mm accidentally went off Saturday, or what caused the handgun to fire. The pistol was a Jennings make.

The man in an adjacent stall, 29-year-old Gary Flynn, of Ireland, was most seriously injured. He underwent surgery after being hit in the shoulder and throat, and was listed in stable condition.

Michael Thourot was shot in the left hand, and Sherri Thourot was hit in the left arm. Both were also listed in stable condition.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Not good at all. Not too familiar with the Jennings. Can it slam fire? That would be the only way I can see a pistol firing 3 times in that situation.

Either way, gun should have been pointed down range / toward the ground / in a safe direction.

Exactly. Jennings is a low-end brand. It isn't clear from the article if it was a malfunction, poor handling, or both. Even so, good safety precautions would have minimized the damage. I'm sure the details will come out.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Uh, just curious, anyone here have a gun spontaneously fire in their house?

Yes, many people have. Mine was an 870 with a load of Remington #00 buckshot at Shootrite during one handed reloading drill. One hand closing the slide, one hand behind my back. Bolt go forward, gun go boom.

This can happen each and every time you load or unload. Keep this in mind everytime you have to unload and reload.

Every time, every single time you jack with guns to load or unload them, the weapon can discharge.

The Four Rules light is always on even in loading and unloading.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...oading_unloading_4_rules_light_always_on.html

Lanser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Evansville
    I hate that the worst injuries were to an Irish tourist. As if a European needed that for a first experience of American gun ownership! :facepalm:

Heck, I just went to Ireland this summer, and the people were the warmest and friendliest I've ever met. I really feel bad for that guy!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    There is a point of diminishing returns with many cheap pistols. One reaches that point immediately upon purchase of a Jennings.

Top Bottom