Threading a barrel yourself. Good idea or bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Hello everyone! Had a quick question. Sometime in the (hopefully near) future I plan on getting a take apart 22lr-5.56 suppressor. With that being said, I'd like to be able to put it on my Savage 22lr bolt action rifle. Problem is the barrel on the rifle isn't threaded. I'm terrible at guessing measurements but it looks like I have about a 1/2in length on the barrel to not effect the front sight and the barrel is about 1/4in thick. I also know a guy who knows a guy who is supposedly very good with a lathe and can do threading. Does this seem possible? Is it dangerous? Any other advice?

On a random side note, I got this rifle pretty cheap. So if you advise against this for the sole reason of possibly ruining the gun, I'm willing to take the risk. If this is stupid and dangerous though, let me know. The last thing I want to do is take a trip to the ER or even worse, the morgue.

Thanks!
    John

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'd be less worried about ruining the barrel than I would about not getting the threads straight and risking a baffle strike - which will ruin your suppressor.

I believe SSNFA has a machinist who can thread barrels for around $75 bucks or so. Threading dies and tools are going to run you between 40-60 bucks anyways... so it's not like it's that much more of an expense to have it done professionally (unless of course, you already own the tools... or the guy you know that knows a guy who's uncle's father in law owns a lath and you trust he can do it right).

Last edited:

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    I'd be less worried about ruining the barrel than I would about not getting the threads straight and risking a baffle strike - which will ruin your suppressor.

I believe SSNFA has a machinist who can thread barrels for around $75 bucks or so. Threading dies and tools are going to run you between 40-60 bucks anyways... so it's not like it's that much more of an expense to have it done professionally (unless of course, you already own the tools... or the guy you know that knows a guy who's uncle's father in law owns a lath and you trust he can do it right).

Very good point.:yesway:

I'm currently living in West Lafayette and my hometown is Valparaiso so i make semi frequent trips back a forth. Who/what/where is SSNFA? Does he/she/it happen to be near either place or even kinda on the way in between? (if i can avoid shipping, that'd be great;))

As for my buddy's friend who owns a lathe, i have no idea on his skill level other than what my buddy has told me. But you can bet i'd make DANG sure he was really good before i let him do ANYTHING with my gun, especially after considering what you said!

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Go with Corey. He has never disapointed.

Gemtech does a decent barrel threading and have done a few of my more unique barrels. Cost $150 and takes about a month though.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    Cutting threads with dies is not the best method. To properly thread barrels, they should be setup on a lathe between the centers to ensure the threads cut are actually concentric with the bore, not the OD of the barrel. A single point cutter will also give you the best results.

My gunsmiths, CF Gunworks, thread for $120 using this method and the results are fantastic. They measured my barrels at 0.002" of runout at the end of my suppressor, that's about as straight as they come.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Also check out Tornado Technologies. You will have to ship out the rifle. $150 seems steep for a basic thread job to me.

ETA, if you are threading for a can, pay someone who knows what they are doing. A suppressor is basically a for-life purchase.

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    162   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    as some of the guys have said ( dont do it ) risking hundreds of $$ for a do it yourself thats not even going to save you anything .

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Ive been a machinist for 15 years. I can mill, turn, weld, tap and thread.

Whenever I'm ready to get a suppressor, I'm still sending my barrel to someone who threads barrels all the time. I know I can do it, but why take the chance?

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    Also check out Tornado Technologies. You will have to ship out the rifle. $150 seems steep for a basic thread job to me.

ETA, if you are threading for a can, pay someone who knows what they are doing. A suppressor is basically a for-life purchase.
    That's not too terrible really. They have to strip the rifle down, remove the barrel from the action. Set up the lathe to cut threads concentric to the bore, then put it all back together again and ship it back to you. To PROPERLY thread barrels, it's anywhere between 1-3 hours depending on how much extra work is involved.

I refuse to send any of my guns to a guy in his garage running a die on a drill press for 50 bucks...that's a baffle strike waiting for a place to happen.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Yes, you first have to turn the barrel before you can thread it anyway, since the OD likely isn't the major diameter of your thread.

As others have said, it's easiest to put it on centers, turn the end down, and then use a single point thread cutting tool.

You could also true it up on a mill some how, mill the end down to size, and then use a die or thread mill.

It is NOT a cheap operation, however you choose to go. If you just want to cram a die onto the end of your gun, sure, that'll be cheap, but it won't work right.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Just had mine done by the guy Corey (curraheeguns) uses; and he did great work. I had the Barrel threaded, front sight moved, and a thread protector and it cost me $112 cash out the door. Here's a pic with suppressor mounted...
    2011-10-06_19-36-23_619.jpg

Last edited:

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    Ive been a machinist for 15 years. I can mill, turn, weld, tap and thread.

Whenever I'm ready to get a suppressor, I'm still sending my barrel to someone who threads barrels all the time. I know I can do it, but why take the chance?

I've been a machinist for 12 years myself. I do my own barrels, as well as barrels for others. It's not too terribly difficult. I just wish I had the funds to put up a building, buy some machinery and go into business myself.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Threading barrels isn't rocket-science. That being said, if you or your friend aren't a machinist then it may be above your abilities. The thread runout is critical with a suppressor.

If your friend has the knowledge and equipment to properly set up and indicate runout on the bore of your rifle and single-point thread it, then go ahead. Otherwise, just pay to have it done.

I can, and have threaded my own barrels before. I've made my own suppressor before (legally). It isn't rocket science, just basic machining.

ret

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    I asked Tornado Tech if they would thread a KT sub 2000...they were not interested. I am looking for that service if anyone can help...thank you.

Has anyone removed a KT Sub 2000 barrel? Can anyone coach me thru that or point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Top Bottom