• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobcooters

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Gonna make our first trip to land between the lakes this weekend. Looking to do some fishing and just general hiking/exploring. Any places we should check out or other recommendations? Good fishing holes lol:D

Gibster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Boone County
    Make sure you go to the LBL visitor center to get a token that opens the gate so you can drive through the Elk and Buffalo Plains. Buffalo will come right up to the car. Look for a whole bunch of wild turkeys in there too.
    Be careful as the speed limit in there used to be 45 mph. Didn't really understand why until I crossed the 80/68 bridge over Ky Lake eastbound just at dusk and spotted 50 deer or so very close to the road in the first 1/4 mile. They were everywhere for miles.
    Have good time!

vwarren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    greenfield
    Lake Barkley and ky lake will probably be pretty shallow right now but you might try energy lake or devils elbow fishing won't get good down there till march.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I was down in July and had a great time despite the 110 degree heat. I fished early off the ledges and managed to catch a few cats. It was too darn hot. I would love to go back in the spring. We stayed at Shawnee Bay Resort and would recomend it. You have to go eat at Patties 1880's establishment and hit the little antique shops near it. One of them has guns and knives. All kinds of stuff to get into down there. Have fun!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Leave it on your list. You are good to go as long as you have a license. I carry everytime I go there. Check handgunlaw.us. LBL is nice if the ticks aren't out yet.
    Did you read handgunlaw.us?
    http://handgunlaw.us/states/kentucky.pdf

Below is the information LE&I provides to the public in regards to possessing firearms at LBL NRA:

1. Possession of firearms is prohibited except during legal firearms hunting seasons by licensed hunters and going to and from the LBL NRA firearms range. Firearms must be cased and unloaded during transport.

2. Firearms possessed during legal hunting seasons by licensed hunters must be cased and unloaded (chamber + magazine) while being transported in a motorized vehicle.

3. LBL LE&I also states that the concealed firearms carry permit does not apply to LBL NRA at this time, although the LE officers at LBL will honor the concealed carry permit if there are no other aggravating circumstances. Examples of aggravating circumstances are, but not limited to, violation of the concealed carry permit itself, shooting from a roadway, or shooting outside of the LBL firearms range”.

So, it violates the rules, but they CLAIM they will look the other way unless you "aggravate" them.

Either way, enjoy your trip! I'd love to get down there some time myself. I've heard great things about the fishing.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I have family there in Calloway County. Watch out going over the narrow bridge, very close quarters. They have to shut it down to let wide-load semis through, and if you try going through with a camper, you need to stop, and let oncoming traffic pass you.
    If you go catfishing, watch for the gars and snapping turtles, they are everywhere in the coves. Might catch more of them, than catfish. Game Wardens are always out, I've been carded twice, and had my live well and bait inspected once. They also hunt coyotes, so you might see one with a rifle dragging a dead coyote around. There are some huge fish in KY lake, right now the lakes should be shallow though. Right across from the Hancock Biological Station is a great place to put in at. I can't remember the name of the dock though.

The buffalo will sometimes be in the road, and may approach vehicle, be prepared to go in reverse if one wants to mess up your car.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom