• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    What do you guys do when confronted with what looks like an excellent pistol, but from an unknown manufacturer? The pistol in question is the Diamondback Db380. I've been looking for a smaller pocket pistol and am really impressed with the Db380 but know nothing of the manufacturer. It's only a $350 purchase, which is not a life altering amount of money should it turn out to be a waste, but it's also not a sum of money I spend lightly.

Right now, I'm thinking of picking one up as they get good reviews whenever mentioned, but since it's so new, that's not too often. It has a lifetime warranty, but that usually means the lifetime of the manufacturing company, not the gun itself. With a company that's been around for decades, there's little enough risk of it going under to make it a safe bet, but with a brand new manufacturer you never know.

Being US made, I'll probably take the chance and buy one to support another company building products here in the US. I was just curious what you folks think when confronted with something that's really nice, but unknown.

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    I always purchase a firearm from a manufacture with a long history of quality manufacturing. That said seems like i have gotten a lemon from companies i thought were ok more frequently now than before. If you like the gun get it,you can hopefully sell it if the love wears off. Try to look up reviews for this new gun. Good luck.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    i have purchased early production guns in the past and have been lucky and very happy with my purchase. also i only did this since i already had plenty of proven guns in my collection so i figured what the heck i will give it a try. if it were to be my first gun, only gun, or carry gun then i would stick with a proven manufacturer with good rep and save the experiments for later down the road if you want to. just my :twocents:
    also, i have heard good things about the diamondback 380 from a few fellow INGO members and i would love to try one myself. if you get one please share your thoughts on it after a range trip.

rubicon_joey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    I tend to wholeheartedly agree with that statement. Usually when I see something I've never heard of, I barrage the seller with questions, then scratch chin hair, then leave to do some homework.
    Same here...Sometimes it's difficult to judge the quality of something from its looks. I tend to let someone else be the guinea pig, and then if it turns out well for them follow suite.

As for small pistols...this doesn't look much different than a ruger LCP which could probably be had for a little less money.:dunno:

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    I have been watching the db380s as well. DiamondBack is a company that makes top of the line air boats in florida. They have a great reputation for boats and decided to build guns :).

I like the idea, feel and design of these guns however, they have more negative reviews than good ones.

I'm gonna wait for them to work some kinks out. Plus $350 is kinda expensive for a polymer mouse gun.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Heck, even a long-standing manufacturer will have issues with newly introduced firearms.

Ever hear of Ruger? Or the finish issues on the first M&Ps out of Smith?

But a first offering from a new to the market manufacturer... Not for me, thank you. Especially when the new offering is from a company who's NEVER done firearms before.

So, for the DiamondBack... I'll pass.

-J-

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Remember the grendel ? I usually wait & read a few reviews on a a new product from independent sources when something like this comes out.I was one of the first to scream blasphemy when glocks first starting to come in to the states(plastic guns...icky I thought)But Ive changed my tune & have found favor with them ,they are very durable & have proven themselves as one of the favorite carry guns of several police depts.So if you want to drop 350 on a diamondback & give it a field test ,go for it but wouldnt trust it as a carry piece until its proven its reliability

Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    If i was going for pocket gun in 380 I would just go with the Kel Tec. Very reputable company and you can get them at a very good price..

Im not saying diamondback is not a good company.. I have no idea... In there defense, Glock, S&W, Sig, Taurus all had to start at the same place Diamondback is..

qwkdrwmgw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have the DB380 and so far I am happy as all get out, the way it shoots compared to the Kel Tec is so much nicer. It doesn't hurt (your hands) to shoot like the p3at, the grip is much more comfortable, the finish is very nice, and it has sights. From what I hear the customer service is A#1.

I understand your feelings about a new company, I don't always buy the first run of a new company or model, but I feel that this little gun and the company will be around for quite awhile my :twocents:. If anyone is in the Howard or Grant county area and want to shoot a few rounds through it look me up (bring a few rounds for me since there isn't much out there just kidden).

Scott

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    We've all bought guns that didn't quite turn out to be what we thought they would. I say if you want the gun and it fits your hand well - buy it. Report back to us on how things turn out. I do agree with whoever said $350 is a little expensive for a mouse gun.

XDs4me

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I have one of the DB380's and like it much better than my LCP. The gun has a much better fit and finish and is much more enjoyable to shoot. It is also one of the first production guns. The guys that are making this use to to work for Kel-Tec which is right down the road from Diamondback. They are now working on a compact 9 version. If you break one of theses down you will see a lot of Glock inside. I think they will be around for a while.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    I've heard the same story about their connection to Kel Tec. The DB380's look really nice and so far I've heard good reports too. They are definitley on my list to check out, but I haven't gotten my mits on one yet.

As to the question about buying from a new vendor...? Well, if this were to be my first gun, or my main carry piece, I'd wait until they were around long enough to have all the kinks worked out. On the other hand, if this were just another addition to your collection, to try out and maybe become part of a ccw roster, I'd say "give it a try." Somebody has to be the first on the block to try them out and tell the rest of us what they are like.
    ---------------
    GoBoilers!

Top Bottom