• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Thinking about getting one of these in the near future. Any suggestions? Ive done some research online but kinda want some first hand experience.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    There are a lot of happy GSG owners out there. My dad has put several thousand rounds through his and loves it. If I was buying a dedicated .22 1911, that would be my choice. I have a Kimber conversion that works for me. The hard part is keeping them fed these days.

oldguyguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Cicero
    I am also thinking about buying one of these. My online research agrees with Hoosier45 in that the GSG is a good gun at a reasonable price. Only think I didn't like was plastic sights or plastic mounted sights. The Browning would cost you an additional $200 and is a highly rated gun. Depends on how much you want to spend and what you like. Remember the Sig is a GSG in disguise.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Id recommend GSG 1911s or a sig which is the same thing. I sadly had to let my GSG go a couple days ago. If you do go with a GSG or Sig Id recommend ZRTS for aftermarket parts, they are super quality and even better customer service.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I had a GSG and loved it. Bought an M&P from a buddy and sold the GSG because I was stupid. I like the M&P but I wish I still had the GSG.

Both work well with a can, but the GSG sighted in better, or so I remember it that way.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I e had a GSG for a couple of years and have put several thousand rounds through it, probably 98% suppressed with little to zero cleaning. It still runs just fine. I squirt some oil into it every on e in awhile and it just keep chugging along. I removed the mag safety and have put some decent wood grips on it, but other than the thread adaptor, its stock and does just fine. I'd highly recommend one especially if you had plans to run a can on it.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Get the Sig instead of the GSG... I have owned both & the price difference is worth it for the smoother trigger & the lack of a clunky grip safety.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Thinking about getting one of these in the near future. Any suggestions? Ive done some research online but kinda want some first hand experience.

Do not, I repeat do not, buy a Chiappa.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    I have the Sig1911-22

Overall its fine ill list my complaints.

1. First outing it began showing wear at the slide stop, the cheap zinc slide is questionable.
    2. The grip safety is very sharp and an odd shape. I plan on replacing it.
    3. The safety is very sharp and blockie, its also ambi which i dislike. I plan on replacing it.

I personally dislike the grips and arched mainspring housing but too me thats personal preference so i wont knock the pistol. Once again ill replace those. My concerns are ill put $200 into a pistol and have the zinc slide fail me which won't make me very happy.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I got the GSG, and so far I like it.
    Ive only been able to put 100 rds of Win.hv copper plated downrange but I must say it shoots really well with ZERO malfunctions.
    Im not gonna spend alot of extra $ on this firearm, it is what it is. The ambi safety is terrible!!! I'll run this firearm til the wheels fall off then I'll order upgraded parts.
    The boy and myself are gonna push this firearm to the breaking point!! I'll keep ya'll posted.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    A GSG 1911-22 works fine for me. Haven't put that many rounds thru it yet...you know how it is getting ammo for it. But I like it, the feel of it is nice, and it's fairly accurate. LOL! It shoots better than I do!

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I picked up a used GSG a few years ago. Gave it a good cleaning when I got it home, and haven't had a single issue with it, no matter what ammo I feed it. The Browning is nice, but it isnt a full size 1911, its like 2/3 actual size.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I know it's going to sound lame- Remington has new 1911 pellet gun that feels and takes down like the "real deal". Only $99 and supposed to be available now. Backyard practice for cost of lead pellets! Had chance to see it at NRA convention. Had other projects or I would have bought one since .22 ammo is hard to get.
    I plan to order one soon since just read about Remington going through some kinda "down sizing thing" on another thread here. LOL

James20

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 9, 2013
    Woodburn
    My friend had a GSG and really likes it. I've shot it once and it shot nice. Would jam once in a while but I suspect it was the ammos fault over the gun.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My GSG 1911-22 has been unreliable since I acquired it. Polished the crap out of the chamber, etc. I have not tried CCI Minimags, though, but I don't really want a gun that needs special ammo to function properly.

Top Bottom