Thought Id try Iron Sights out this time!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I had an extra lower sitting in the safe that couldn't sit alone by itself any longer. I've wanted a real light weight carbine for a while now and have really wanted a dedicated carbine with just iron sights to shoot with. I have to say I think it turned out well, the 15" handgaurd lends to a really nice long sight radius and just mounting the sights it was pretty much dead on at 50yrds. Now maybe it will stop raining long enough to put some more rounds down range with it :ar15:

IMG_20150329_121909_712_zps0ikwnjig.jpg

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yea I have to admit, I like them more than I thought I would. I think once I practice with them a bit more I may shoot it as much or more than my other carbine.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    Iron sights are underrated in my opinion.
    Huge +1. I find optics have their time and place, but I keep several guns irons-only (AR included).
    I love scopes because of how easy it is to get decent groupings at longer distances, but also love irons because the challenge in honing your accuracy without an aid (like a 3-9 scope)

Oh, and I'm talking normal rifle distance of 100yds, I'm always confused when I see people at the 25yd range with a AR. It's their choice and IDC either way, I just don't understand the reasoning for such a short distance (maybe sighting in and home defence practice?). I stick to the 50 and 100 for iron sights (gonna have to try 200 one of these days).

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Now my other carbine with the red dot that I use for run n gun I have it sighted in at 50yrds an practice quite a bit at those distances. But I agree I hope to get a bit more practice with the irons. Its fun learning an trying new equipment to shoot.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I had an M68 CCO (Aimpoint) on my rifle in basic training, and for the first few years of service. It was ok, I guess. Then I went to Squad Designated Marksman school down in Arkansas. We were issued an ACOG and a rack grade m4 that had the old removable charging handle with A2 sights. We shot known distance and unknown distance out to 600m on torso sized targets, and the first week we weren't allowed to use the ACOG, except to range targets on the uknown distance range. After a while, you get to know how to dial that sight for windage and elevation pretty well, and it's really pretty fun. The big lesson for me was that I could engage targets out to 600m with a decent hit probability, almost as good as an ACOG, and still have a quick target acquisition at 2 or 3 m. Just put that big sight post center of mass and hit the accelerator pedal.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yea that's pretty cool story Woobie. I'm having a bit ofbfun with the irons so far. I haven't really shot irons much since I normally just shoot benchrest but since I've gotten into the run n gun thing with the carbines its been something I've wanted to try an practice with.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    +1 as another iron sights guy. My budget AR has a co-located red dot and BUIS, but it seems like I keep the front one up quite a bit just to make sure that the red dot is centered correctly. My next build will probably just have the front sight gas block.

And, that is a nice lookin' rifle!

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I once had an Aimpoint PRO on my AR, but it added what felt like nearly a pound to the overall weight and profile. I came to appreciate a lighter, cleaner looking rifle because sometimes...

...Less is more!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Iron sights are underrated in my opinion.

Not at National Match Highpower Rifle competition. Everybody shoots iron sights, and the winners are pretty much holding 1 MOA in their hands with no artificial support.

Iron sights can get pretty sophisticated, and spendy. The open class match adjustable front aperature globe style sight and the adjustable rear sights, plus all the brackets, shades, etc can easily chew up $700.00. $1000 is not out of the question. The sad part is a young guy with good eyes can still beat you with a standard post and peep system that comes on an A2 configured AR.

In another decade, ol' sloughfoot made my matches difficult with his A2 style AR.

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Something to be said for the old way of doing things. I've shot back when I was younger with irons but got out of it when I got older an started messing around with other things.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I've always loved iron sights, in fact there just happens to be a stripped Colt M16A2 upper sitting around that's going to make it's way to my 20" A4 clone. Time to go old school I think. I have a 4X scope on it currently but my eyes seem to see just as well to the distances that scope it worthy of.

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    I just put together a nearly identical looking setup that I am leaving as a dedicated lightweight irons platform. Curious what yours tips the scale at?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I just put together a nearly identical looking setup that I am leaving as a dedicated lightweight irons platform. Curious what yours tips the scale at?

Very nice, Im very happy with the weight of mine it came in at 6lbs 1oz an that's with using the 15" handgaurd so Im very pleased.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I've always loved iron sights, in fact there just happens to be a stripped Colt M16A2 upper sitting around that's going to make it's way to my 20" A4 clone. Time to go old school I think. I have a 4X scope on it currently but my eyes seem to see just as well to the distances that scope it worthy of.

I hear ya Ford, Ive been really thinking about doing one for my next AR project. Be something kinda different that you don't see much of anymore.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom