• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    I've been around firearms all my life, primarily shotguns. I only recently purchased my first handgun. I served in the Army, so I'm familiar with combat rifles.

Lately, I've decided that, now that I'm older and making more money, and half the kids grown, maybe I could afford to get into the gun collecting hobby. I know, can you ever *really* afford that? :P

So, a month ago, I sent in my carry permit app, and I've been spending an inordinate amount of time with my nose stuck in my laptop getting up to speed on what's going on in the gun world - to the extent that she occasionally refers to it as my "obsession". Well, I'm a bit OCD anyway, so she's probably not far from the truth.

Anyway, I've kind of been expecting this to be one of those hobbies that would involve a *lot* of bargaining to keep it above-board with the wife, as she's never expressed any interest in firearms of any sort. I figured it would tend to be the typical, "Honey, mind if I buy a [insert firearm item here]?" To which she would reply, "Sure, if I can get a [insert item typically extorted from husbands by wives here]." I'm actually ok with that. It's one of those things that makes the world go around, right? :)

So this morning, out of the blue she asks me how much it cost for me to apply for my gun permit. Great, I thought. Time to pay the piper. I controlled the wince reflex as I told her it was a total of $125 for a lifetime permit. She just looked at me for a moment and replied, "I want one."

O_o ... -_- ... O_o

You don't think she wouldn't worry with a permit for a gun, if she planned to use it on me, would she?? :eek::):

Actually, I'm kinda stoked now. Not only might this make my future...ahem...acquisitions a bit easier to talk her into, but I'll be able to get her to the range with me as well. :rockwoot:

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I use the same line she uses on me when I notice she has a new outfit on, "what this I have had it for years" works both ways, hehe.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Well, it sounds like a good thing :yesway:

...but proceeding with a bit of paranoia is still recommended! :):

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Having the wife on board will make life a lot better! Instead of having to beg to buy a gun, the fusses are "which one this time," or "No, you got the last one, it's my turn" LOL. That's a LOT more fun :)

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    That's great! Now get her on INGO so when she decides she wants her own gun, she can make an informed decision without you doing all the research for her. ;)

Well, ok, and maybe we need a few more ladies around here. :):

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    My wife is slowly coming around. She was not raised around firearms, so while she is not against them, she is not exactly an enthusiast either. She has been shooting with me a few times, but really showed no interest, and acted like it wasn't worth her time or trouble to go along.

However, I brought it up the other day that I think she should get her LTCH lifetime only because she can. I'm taking baby steps with her, as I doubt I will ever get her to actually carry, but you never know.

She doesn't say a word to me about what I buy, and I'm not sure I could live with a woman that did.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    However, I brought it up the other day that I think she should get her LTCH lifetime only because she can. I'm taking baby steps with her, as I doubt I will ever get her to actually carry, but you never know.

Use the old "accidental felony" thing. You know, if you have guns in the car and you stop for a coffee while she waits in the car, or she borrows your car and your pistol is in the glove box...

"Honey, it's just for your protection. You don't have to touch the guns." :D

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Use the old "accidental felony" thing. You know, if you have guns in the car and you stop for a coffee while she waits in the car, or she borrows your car and your pistol is in the glove box...

"Honey, it's just for your protection. You don't have to touch the guns." :D

Yup. That's the first one I brought up, and the one that made her think twice.

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    I'm in about the same boat as 360, wife never handled a gun before we started dating. Actually one of our "dates" we went to a range, she ended up really liking shooting. I would not say its a hobby for her but she enjoys it. We also will be getting our lifetimes soon. Its great to hear that your wife wants to get involved with your hobby, so your "discussions" don't have to be if your getting a new gun but rather who is getting the new gun:):

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    The good news is my wife couldn't care less about my guns. The bad news is, she could care less when it come to shooting them either

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    A couple of thoughts on gun collecting and wives.

Spending a ton of time on INGO: "I guess I could go down and hang out at the tavern instead. Lots of guys spend every evening down at the corner pub sitting around and drinking up their hard earned money. When I'm on INGO I'm at home. You know exactly where I am at and what I am doing."

Spending a ton of money on guns: "Guns can (theoretically) be sold and turned back into money. I could have worse hobbies like gambling or heavy drinking that just consume money and don't produce anything. If something happens to me you can always sell all these guns, otherwise, the kids will inherit them and have something to remember me."

Spending a ton of time hunting or shooting. "Why don't you get your LTCH and a hunting license? I'll pay for them and we'll have something fun that we can do together."

Practice saying these things in front of the mirror with a very sincere expression on your face. :D

Trpanther

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I to had a similar experience, I got a 4yr Ltch so my wife wanted one also. I got a lifetime Ltch geuss what my wife wants one also. I got a glock so did my wife, do you see a pattern here. Now I just bought an AR-15 at the last 1500 gun show, as a result I have been going to the range. Last Sunday I was going to the range my wife decided to go also. She shot my Ar-15 guess what, you got it she wants one now so be careful what you wish for this is becoming expensive. lol

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I to had a similar experience, I got a 4yr Ltch so my wife wanted one also. I got a lifetime Ltch geuss what my wife wants one also. I got a glock so did my wife, do you see a pattern here. Now I just bought an AR-15 at the last 1500 gun show, as a result I have been going to the range. Last Sunday I was going to the range my wife decided to go also. She shot my Ar-15 guess what, you got it she wants one now so be careful what you wish for this is becoming expensive. lol
    Make her buy her own...problem solved.

Top Bottom