• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    HI all.

I am looking for a thirty carbine. Not a collectors peace. One to shoot, I don't care if numbers match, I want a good shooter. What will I have to pay for one? Thank you much for your time.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    They are a great rifle and a load of fun to shoot. Buying a USGI M1 carbine that's been through a CMP rebuild is a good way to find a very good shooter. An M1 that will gauge at the muzzle from 0 to +2 (no more then +2) with good solid wood and is a mix-master will cost you anywhere from $600.00 (hard to find) to over a grand. It just depends on the mfg. of the rifle.

I would stay away from non-USGI models such as Universals, Alpine, and a few more post war commercial mfgs. Some of the commercial models are quite fine rifles as they used as much as 90 - 95% new old stock USGI parts. Mfgs. such as Plainfield, and Millville Ordnance built 100% USGI M1's from new old stock surplus USGI mfgs such as Winchester, Springfield, etc. Do some research on the different commercial mfgs. to see if one of them may be suitable for you. I highly recommend this website M1CarbinesInc.com as a great source for info on the different commercial mfgs. Commercial mfgs. rifles can be had for as little as $350.00 and up, and are 100% USGI parts and parts compatible.

If you want to stick with a USGI mfg M1 I'd suggest Gunbroker, and perhaps Armslist as sources to find one. CMP now only sells them by auction when they have them available and those are going anywhere from $1.200.00 to over $2000.00.

The history, and just plain fun shootability of a good M1 carbine is tough to beat. Ammo can be a little salty. For just plain plinking I've found Aquila to be excellent ammo at a very good price. If your into reloading you can save a good amount by rolling your own.

Hope this helps.

Atlas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    pretty sure he is talking about M1. best bet is gun shows. They do walk in all the time as people try to move them. Sometimes you get a very decent deal sitting on the tables as well, if you get there at opening :) Otherwise, gunbroker is your best friend.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Estate sales. I know of lots of old guys that bought the good ones and their widows are now selling them. Some of the old guys were my friends.

And no, there will not be one for sale in my estate sale. Lots of great firearms, just not a M1 Carbine. I sold mine for $800 about five years ago.

Top Bottom