• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Irishman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Bloomfield
    I am considering starting to reload. Where is a good place to get supplies? What books do you recommend to teach me? I don't want to spend a fortune, but the wife says I am spending to much on ammo!

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    I am considering starting to reload. Where is a good place to get supplies? What books do you recommend to teach me? I don't want to spend a fortune, but the wife says I am spending to much on ammo!

First read this link:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...reload_but_you_don_t_know_where_to_begin.html

Then check this link:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...upply_inc/108364-reloading_class_reviews.html

After that you might want to read this link:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...hops_do_you_by_reloading_components_from.html

Then of course you will want to come back here and ask even more questions!

BTW Welcome to :ingo:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The easy answer to your question, aside from reading those threads, is Lyman's 49th Edition reloading manual and the Lee Classic Turret reloading press kit from Graf's or Midway.

Buy all your reloading components from Andrew at Profire Arms, if you're in the Indy area.

Oh, and there is nothing to think about. Just do it. We need a Nike swoosh smiley. :)

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    I would also recommend stopping by profire arms if you are in Indy. Great shop and great staff that will answer your questions honestly.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Lyman has good books and info. Not impressed with the tools ss much. My $.02 RCBS tools are tougher.
    LEE are ok if you're on a budget or not sure you want to spend a lot to start. Any investment you make
    will pay off if you stick with it. You probably won't end up spending less just shooting more.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I have a lyman tmag II press. Love it. Similar to the lee turret, except I have 6 heads and don't have to worry about an indexing rod breaking or stripping out.

Wysko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Indy, West Side.
    I started with the Lee reloading book, the Lyman is very good also. The Indy public library has books on the subject as well. Check out Youtube as they helpful reloading videos and product reviews. I picked up my press and nearly all the items needed to reload used from a guy who quit reloading after he set off a primer. Near new with powder, primers and bullets at a great price. Good deals can be found if one hunts for them. Dont be afraid to ask questions on forums. Reloading is fun for most of us. You will have a big smile when you shoot your first box of reloads.:)

Mike

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I started with a single stage Lyman press kit. That was a fairly way to get into reloading and let me learn a whole bunch of stuff. After a couple of years, I saved and bought a Dillon 550 and love the thing. I would not want to have started with the Dillon, as there is too much happening with each pull of the lever and it would be easy to miss something that went wrong. Starting with a single stage press let me learn every step very well and I think I have a better understanding of each of those steps than I would have had I started with a progressive press.

The big difference for me between the Dillon and the single stage press is that I used to load what I needed for a weekend on the Friday night before going shooting. Now, with the Dillon, if I buy 500 bullets, I go home and load 500 bullets. The single stage does seem a bit nicer when working up a new load though. It's easier to make changes to the powder charge outside of a progressive press. When doing 20 rounds of each load for testing, the single stage is just a bit less tedious than the progressive with all of the pins to pull to check loads.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have been reloading for just under a year. I started with a Lee single stage kit. Some people knock Lee, but hey, my ammo works. I did upgrade to a RCBS Chargemaster auto powder dispenser. It has really sped up my reloading. All my dies are Lee, 9mm, .223, and .308. I have the Lyman primer pocket uniforming tool and flash hole uniforming tool. As for case lube, I use the RCBS pad and lube kit. Starting out, I spent around $300 to reload 9mm. That included everything but brass, bullets, powder, and primers.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It really isn't that complicated. For a newbie, start with a good reloading manual. Read the front part about how to reload. There are plenty of good videos on the subject as well, but they don't replace a good reloading manual IMHO. Stick with new reloading equipment from any of the leading manufacturers, i.e. RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, Redding, or has been suggested, if you are on a very limited budget, Lee. If you want to start out with a progressive press, the leaders are Dillon and Hornady. Stay away from cheap Chinese made stuff, like SmartReloader, Franklin Arsenal, etc. Their price is attractive, but their quality just isn't there...Don't ask me how I know this.:D

I would suggest that you start out reloading the cartridge you shoot the most. If it is a straight walled pistol cartridge, you will be ahead of the game, because you won't have to trim cases and debur (you will with bottle-neck rifle cartridges). I would also suggest you start out loading mild target loads rather than full house personal defense type rounds.

If you have a handgun that has standard rifling, as opposed to, polygonal rifling found in Glocks, H&K's, etc., you can choose to load hard cast lead bullets, which will save you a lot of money, since the bullet is the biggest cost next to brass cases (You are collecting brass aren't you?).

Reloading is a safe hobby as long as you are careful. Avoid distractions (no tv, texting or **** chat) and impairment (no alcohol or medications that give side affects) while loading and take your time at first. Having good, safe ammo beats having a lot of stuff that is questionable in quality. There is no doubt that a reloader can produce better ammo than is available off the shelf and at least as safe. The equipment will pay for itself over time. The ammo you load can be customized to suit you and your firearms.

It doesn't take an engineering degree to reload, just an average person with reasonable reading skills, ability to follow instructions, some attention to detail and ability to focus on the job at hand. Hey I learned how to do it!

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Don't be afraid to ask questions, when I first started I ask all kinds of questions, still do. Most guys and gals are ready to help out because we like to talk about guns and reloading, Ingo just gives us more people to chat with. To me reloading really adds to the shooting experience. Be careful about load data off the internet, like bullets used and powder charges, get a good book and use it. I Do not recommend Lee load manual, the rest are good, Lyman, Hornady, or Sierra to name a few.

One more thing buy quality tools and you will save money in the long run. Quote from BE Mike, "Their price is attractive, but their quality just isn't there...Don't ask me how I know this.:D", I have an idea what he's talking about. A little homework goes a long way to saving money.

Top Bottom