• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I carry a G19 as my EDC. It's not bad, but gets a little uncomfortable at times. I tried the G26, but there just wasn't much of a noticeable difference. I've been reading a lot of posts both here and other forums and a lot of people seem to really like the M&P Shield. It's a bit smaller, thinner and lighter and I think it might make enough of a difference that it would be more convenient for me to carry, especially as nicer weather is (finally) coming. I hate the fact that I'll lose capacity, but that's the only real downside I can see. I already have an Alien Gear hybrid holster that I CC with, so I thought I'd just order a new kydex shell and be ready to go. I see them online for under $400 and was surprised to see BGF had them for a great price ($399) when I was at the range this weekend. I plan to see if I can pick up a used one, either in the classifieds here, or at the 1500 this weekend. If not, may just have to spring for a new one.

Thoughts, comments?

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    I think you will be very happy with that choice for a summer carry. Out of 5 us in the shop, 3 carry shield when the need ultra slim guns for cc.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I'm in the same predicament. I carry a M&P9c as my edc, but this will be my first summer doing so. If, for some reason or another, I find the compact to be too cumbersome the shield 9 will be my next purchase.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Nice, thank you for the feedback :)

I guess I should also specify, I do NOT want a pocket gun. Not looking at anything like the Kahr's, or the LCP, or anything along those lines. I want a gun that's okay to shoot at the range and is decently accurate. I fired the LCP my Dad bought his wife and I HATED it. From what I've read, the Shield is easy to carry, plus fun to shoot and accurate. That's why I'm looking at that form factor and not something smaller.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I've looked at them for the same reason... want something a touch smaller than the G19. I really am turned off by the manual safety, especially since I am a lefty.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Heres a review of the Shield that Shooter521 and lovemywoods done. They also compare it to the Glock 26.

Maybe this will help.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck64DpUhn0g[/video]

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    I have a Shield in 9mm. There are many posts about the 40 troubles . I like mine very much. If you worry about the thumb safety, don't use it. Shoots great, and shoots everything.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I have a Shield in 9mm. There are many posts about the 40 troubles . I like mine very much. If you worry about the thumb safety, don't use it. Shoots great, and shoots everything.

Glad to hear there are no issues with the 9mm, as that's the option I plan to go with. I didn't like shooting a G23, so I'm guessing a Shield .40 would not be for me.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    I'm with Perry, manual safety makes it a no-go for me. I'm a lefty also. People say "don't use it". I wouldn't, but Murphy would at the most opportune time.

ThatsLife

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I also CC the G19 Gen4 in a supertuck or a remora and it can be cumbersome at times. So I bought a Shield and I can say, yes, it is definitely more comfortable. For the most part it disappears under just a t-shirt and I don't even notice it while sitting in the car. The safety is just something that I need to get used to. I practice my draw a lot because i use the thumb safety. I don't want to not use it and assume that its off if I ever needed to yank it. I am am very happy with the gun. I bought another supertuck and remora for it. I also put some pro i-dots on and just last night I installed the Apex carry kit and I can't wait to shoot it this weekend. With the Apex kit the trigger feels very similar to my Glock (which is stock) but smoother and I love it. I chose the Shield over the XDs because it felt better to me in hand. I bought it for summer carry but it will probably be carried year around now. I'll never sell the G19 though! Good luck!

spyshot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Winchester/Union City
    I've looked at them for the same reason... want something a touch smaller than the G19. I really am turned off by the manual safety, especially since I am a lefty.

dont use it. pretend it's not there. it's too tiny to manipulate properly anyway.
    i have one on my hip right now.

Last edited:

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Do it. Love my Shield! It's a great little gun that's given me no problems. Light and easy to carry. I usually carry appendix, which works well. I am also trying OWB in a kydex holster with pancake wings to make it lie flat against my body. It amazingly conceals just as well as IWB and I can even wear pretty tight t-shirts with it. I'm thinking it'll work very well for summer carry. I have been carrying my full size M&P lately, but as it warms up I will probably turn to the Shield more often.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Do it. Love my Shield! It's a great little gun that's given me no problems. Light and easy to carry. I usually carry appendix, which works well. I am also trying OWB in a kydex holster with pancake wings to make it lie flat against my body. It amazingly conceals just as well as IWB and I can even wear pretty tight t-shirts with it. I'm thinking it'll work very well for summer carry. I have been carrying my full size M&P lately, but as it warms up I will probably turn to the Shield more often.

I'll second rbMPSH12's enthusiasm. It's a great slim gun. There are a few smaller guns out there that are more properly pocket guns - but as per OP, you don't want a pocket gun, just a thin gun. This is it! In 9mm it's a great little package. Still heavy enough to shoot well. Also, the grip length is just about perfect for me - even with the small mag I can get all my fingers on the grip (well, pinky is 2/3 on the grip).
    I carry mine with the 7 rd mag in the gun and my reload is the 8 rd mag. 7 (+1) +8 is pretty decent and I will make that trade for concealability and comfort all day. I switched from a glock 23 to the shield

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I'm in the same predicament. I carry a M&P9c as my edc, but this will be my first summer doing so. If, for some reason or another, I find the compact to be too cumbersome the shield 9 will be my next purchase.
    I switched from an M&P40c to the Shield 9 for EDC.
    Lefty here. Still love it.
    I'm with Perry, manual safety makes it a no-go for me. I'm a lefty also. People say "don't use it". I wouldn't, but Murphy would at the most opportune time.
    g19's don't have manual safeties.... nor do most M&Pc's for that matter. I choose simply not to use it. Forgot it was even there till it was brought up. It's tiny and I would not rely on getting it off in an adrenaline situation because of that.
    However, if you are of the group that only carries with a manual safety, I totally respect that. As a lefty, I gave up on ambi controls as a must have a long time ago.

JohnMcClane

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2014
    Indy
    I love my 9mm shield. It has been fun to learn on and spend time at the range. I look forward to carrying this spring/summer as I get more comfortable.

Top Bottom