• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Should I do this?I'm thinking that I could run a home based business for minor gunsmithing,transfers,and other things of the sort.Besides the $150 every three years,what other costs are there?What does the BATFE consider as a "place of business".Also,of I were to buy firearms for personal use now and then,what's the process of that type of transfer?

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    They may try to strongarm you into paying into ITAR, but that's he type of bull that the DoS under Hillary tries to pull.

The FFL07 is intended to support a business model, not to allow individuals to purchase for themselves. While the occasional transfer is generally OK, the ATF agent that does the interview will probably caution you on this issue.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I don't intend to use it primarily to purchase for my personal collection but wouldn't it be dumb not to use the FFL when I do buy for myself?I want to mainly do gunsmithing work and it'd be a secondary income.Can anyone explain what ITAR is?

96ramair

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Delphi
    Insurance will be your biggest expense.. honestly with the deals on slick guns they are with in 20.00 of buying with your ffl...

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    ITAR is International Trafficking in Arms, a law that controls export of technology and goods for items on a list of "no-noes". The State Department has been putting pressure on FFL's to register with them and pay a $5000 bribe.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Then there is excise tax. There is nothing easy about an 07 license if you are a one-man shop. It's much easier to go the 01 route and then see how things are developing for you. If you don't have a business plan, you really need to put some thought into the 07 requirements.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    ITAR is International Trafficking in Arms, a law that controls export of technology and goods for items on a list of "no-noes". The State Department has been putting pressure on FFL's to register with them and pay a $5000 bribe.

How would this have an effect on a ship that doesn't export things?I highly doubt a gunsmith from Solsberry is going international or even interstate.This is going to be local.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Then there is excise tax. There is nothing easy about an 07 license if you are a one-man shop. It's much easier to go the 01 route and then see how things are developing for you. If you don't have a business plan, you really need to put some thought into the 07 requirements.

I thought that an 01 wouldn't let me do gunsmithing,which was the main reason for getting the license.My main thing was doing AR builds for sale,scope installs,trigger jobs,etc.I'd do transfers here and there and maybe buy and sell a few but mainlyaalterations and builds.

Squirt239

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Speaking from experience, there is a lot more entailed with the 07. There's a lot more commitment; you could be subject to heavy taxes. I'd suggest discussing your options with ATF agent Lisa Laughlin. She's my agent and really knows her stuff. She's been a huge help with my business.

96ramair

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Delphi
    Your home will have to be zoned business with your county or the atf will not approve you... some counties its no big deal others I hear can be a big pain

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    was going to open a shop in Koleen.....had FFL then i looked into the insurance......$2700.00 a year.......i sent the FFL back........got to change a lot of springs and trigger jobs to pay that.....

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    was going to open a shop in Koleen.....had FFL then i looked into the insurance......$2700.00 a year.......i sent the FFL back........got to change a lot of springs and trigger jobs to pay that.....
    So you're the one!My in-laws live at the top of the hill and I saw that sign on the old post office one day and got super excited.I was actually planning on coming in to see about an apprenticeship once the place opened.Truly heartbroken to hear that it isn't going to open man.

Top Bottom