• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guncakes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    So, I'm thinking about building an AR-15. It should probably take me about two years as my children are eating my disposable income at an alarming rate.

I'm thinking about doing it in 9mm, but would love to hear if there are any major advantages to another caliber (other than "stopping power").

As a lefty, I'm also thinking about having if eject on the left.

I'd love to hear any advice other folks wish they had been told prior to their first builds, as well as things they learned along the way.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Most seem to do 5.56, 16" builds for their first build, as it is the standard and therefore it is cheaper. A basic AR could be built for under $600 with iron sights.

Most lefties seem to shoot standard ARs and make adjustments in their grip if a problem presents itself. The deflector on most uppers seem to do a good job of keeping brass out of the shooter's face.

Good luck and have fun!

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I think Stag Arms is the company that's known for making lefty AR's. Check their stuff out.
    If you buy an upper that already has the barrel mounted to the upper receiver, the rest of the build is a cake walk.
    There's countless videos on YouTube.

guncakes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Thanks guys! I am close to USDS and the guys there are awesome- in fact our kids are in the same class together.

Ive vey been doing some research for a few months. I've looked at the stag arms stuff and it seems like where I'll probably go. My thought is that if I'm going to go to the trouble of building a gun, I'm gonna make it fit me from the get go, otherwise it kind of defeats the purpose.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The video to watch for the most basic AR is the "Midway AR build" videos. Now he is building a 20 inch A2 HBAR. But a 16 inch carbine A3 isn't much different.

Top Bottom