• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tooleman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    I am looking to purchase a new holster and would like some advice. I am looking for a thigh rig. I have looked at the blackhawk serpa ii and I am looking at the 5.11 thumb drive. I have read about the problems with both of this holsters. So if there is another thigh rig that I should take a look at please let me know. Thanks

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    I am looking to purchase a new holster and would like some advice. I am looking for a thigh rig. I have looked at the blackhawk serpa ii and I am looking at the 5.11 thumb drive. I have read about the problems with both of this holsters. So if there is another thigh rig that I should take a look at please let me know. Thanks

If set on a thigh rig I would highly suggest looking into the safariland als holsters.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Like Shooter said, unless you have a really specific reason (i.e. tactical police work or combat) a thigh rig is way more trouble than it's worth.
    I agree I bought a "cheapee", either, at the 1500, or by mail order.
    I have worn it at the MOST, 10-12 times, once, at the OC, event, last year..... it is a PITA ....... :twocents:

Tango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Blackhawk Serpa unless you don't like the auto-lock feature. The Serpa also allows for quick disconnect as well as use with the molle platform, so it's more versatile.

Tango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    I've got a cousin who blew a chunk out of his calf with a .357 desert eagle practicing his "quick draw" from a thigh rig. :twocents:

The serpa auto-lock system helps to prevent things like that too lol. It requires that you index properly as you draw your firearm.

It also helps to prevent people from drawing your firearm during a skirmish.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

IMO, only one person should wear thigh holsters......Angelina Jolie (she has the thighs for them). ;)

laracroft.jpg

tooleman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Well, thanks for all the input and the winner is Safariland holster. I have taken everything into consideration and went with this brand mainly cause it was onsale (40.00) NIB. although it is only the holster w/ belt setup, however I can add the thigh rig later. Thanks again for all the input.

tooleman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    It is the 6280 worked with it last night alittle really like the control. I don't have it set up as a thigh rig yet but it would be easy to do

QUOTE=shooter521;2060501]Which model?[/QUOTE]

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Like Shooter said, unless you have a really specific reason (i.e. tactical police work or combat) a thigh rig is way more trouble than it's worth.

If I where going to be using a load bearing vest. I would much prefer a thigh rig over a belt holster. Unless your vest has a place for a pistol.

sentinelrepublic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville

I agree, I spent money on a thigh rig and found myself putting my holter back on my hip....It was nice to have, but i get faster draw from my hip and more tactical mobility in run and gun. My philosophy is keep your load light and you profile as minimal as possible. My thigh rig is in a shoe box in the closet now...

sentinelrepublic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville
    If I where going to be using a load bearing vest. I would much prefer a thigh rig over a belt holster. Unless your vest has a place for a pistol.

Yeah, you can run into that problem, I had to adjust and raise my vest up to eliminate that problem, come to find I perfer to have my vest up higher, it places my mag puches closer to the magwell on my ar15 when doing reloading drills.....

Top Bottom