• ...and so much more!
  • r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    For those of you who have an interest in the M1 carbine, CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) is OUT. Outside of personal sales, this has been the single source of the rifle for quite some time. They say that there are no rifles in the foreseeable future. There was some talk a while back about Korea sending some M1 Garands and M1 carbines back for public sale, but as I understand the issue the "anti-gunners" killed that.

CMP will be selling stripped barrels and receivers that are left over from rebuild efforts. I suspect they will really be shot out/really beat-up.

Another page in history is turned

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    For those of you who have an interest in the M1 carbine, CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) is OUT. Outside of personal sales, this has been the single source of the rifle for quite some time. They say that there are no rifles in the foreseeable future. There was some talk a while back about Korea sending some M1 Garands and M1 carbines back for public sale, but as I understand the issue the "anti-gunners" killed that.

CMP will be selling stripped barrels and receivers that are left over from rebuild efforts. I suspect they will really be shot out/really beat-up.

Another page in history is turned

Where did you see this? I've just checked out their site and they still list rifles for sale...?

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Im glad I already inherited one! I need to pick up a Garand before those dry up. I dont really know much about the supply of them. Should I be concerned about getting one quick, or can I wait a few more years? I have noticed the price rising, so I am inclined to say sooner rather than later.

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    I suspect the supply of Garands is much better than the carbines (Duh... obviously). There were more of them made and they were produced well into the 50's (I believe). There is no talk of near term shortage that I have heard but, sooner or later, all good things must end.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    so there ar no more m1 carbines being made at all?

There are clones, but they're junk compared to real USGI carbines.

I had one and sold it. It's a nice piece of history, but it is outclassed by the modern rifle caliber carbine.

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    so there ar no more m1 carbines being made at all?

The last GI M1 carbines were produced about September 1945.

...outclassed by the modern rifle caliber carbine

Yep! But, they did their job. There are a lot of dead folks out there thanks to that .30 caliber round. The carbine was originally designed as a replacement weapon for those personnel armed with the M1911 A1, .45 pistol. Didn't work out like that, though. It became a T/O issue rifle, along with the Garand during WW II and Korea.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I suspect the supply of Garands is much better than the carbines (Duh... obviously). There were more of them made and they were produced well into the 50's (I believe). There is no talk of near term shortage that I have heard but, sooner or later, all good things must end.

That is what I thought. Gives me a few years before I will feel like I HAVE to buy one. Im keeping my eyes open for deals in the mean time. The price on them is slowly rising, and I would hate to find myself paying twice what they are now just because I waited three years.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Glad I got one when I did. I will probably pick up a barreled receiver at some point as well.

Now, as with all things CMP........ they say they are out, but they always find more ;)

They do still have some of the nicer Carbines, but they are listed on the CMP auctions and go for a lot more than the regular rifles did.

Top Bottom