• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ianreed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Williamsport
    my fiance recently stopped with me at a buddies who bought a new pistol and wanted me to try it out. She wasnt real thrilled because she thinks guns are a waste of money and i dont really need them, however after shooting i told her to hold it for a second (which she refused) but after talking her into it she finally held it and i showed her how to hold it properly, as im helping her i notice that she has this funny look in her eye. Sort of like an "i am all that is woman. i told her to squeeze off a few rounds, she refused, handed me the gun, told me to hurry up, and got in the truck. Can any of the ladies out there help me in trying to win her over and get her into something that i love to do without making it seem like im forcing her to do it?

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Do you have any female friends that shoot? Seeing another female shoot might loosen her up and encourage her. Perhaps a "group" shoot that includes females?

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Step one: Share your enthusiasm, but on HER time. When she indicates she's done talking about it, then stop talking about it. (And women can be *very* subtle....)

Step two: don't expect overnight success. It took my husband six years to convince me, and even then, HE didn't convince me. It was an idiot customer who scared the bejeezus out of me that convinced me. There's at least one guy here who says it took his wife 30 years. Others have said their wives *still* haven't come around.

Question: why does she think guns are a waste of money? why does she think you don't need them?

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    My wife never gave a clue of wanting to shoot until our friends home was broken into and he came home with them still in the house. She invited herself the next time my son and I went out to shoot. Now she is a Glock lover!
    Maybe when a news story comes on TV you could discuss with her what could have prevented the rape, murder, or home invasion? Oh and do it SUBTLE as was suggested by the previous poster!

ianreed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Williamsport
    to her she sees me spend the money on something and then continue to spend money on it in things such as ammo, cleaning supplies, targets,and things of that nature. When she says i dont need them i think that it has to do with she was never raised around them and never saw a need for them.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    to her she sees me spend the money on something and then continue to spend money on it in things such as ammo, cleaning supplies, targets,and things of that nature. When she says i dont need them i think that it has to do with she was never raised around them and never saw a need for them.

Tell her to watch the news.

That Police action shooting just weeks ago happened in TAPAWINGO PARK!

Does that ring a bell? It SHOULD. It's in West Lafayette!
    I don't want to cause undue alarm, BUT, that police action shooting took place in response to an attempted robbery in Tapawingo Park. It's been all over the local news.
    This past weekend, someone did a "drive-by" in my neighborhood (two blocks away) across the river in Lafayette. A shotgun was fired at the front of a house in a residential neighborhood. No injuries. Homeowner WAS home, but only bird-shot was used, which did not penetrate the front wall of the house.

West Lafayette is NOT the sleepy little community some would like you to think it is. Too many transients.

Be careful, and good luck convincing her. Just go slow!

WheelGloryDame

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    These United States of America

My husband can Identify with you. I was never against guns but didn't see the reason for one. And then when he spent money on them, all I could see was the unpaid bills (not so much that we went with out, but just that we weren't ahead) or the fact that I could have used that $25 he just spent on cleaning supplies on a hair appointment I had been coveting for a month. The best way we have settled the "money" argument has been by setting aside a certain amount of money from his check each week into a "Gun Fund" that he can use any way he wants and I can't touch for bill except in a dire emergency with his permission. Now, we are both young, and I am still going to college, so he is the bread winner right now (probably always will be dominantly). He explained to me once that he works all week and needs to see some of the money he works so hard for all week. Also he told me how much of a stress reliever it is for him to go out and fire off a hundred or so rounds. Plus she will pick up (after a while) how good a mood you are in after a few hours at the range.

Maybe look up a few female related firearm websites for her and just mention that you would like her to check them out. DON'T PUSH!!!! And my husband and I have a rule that I will actively listen and try to engage in a conversation with him about guns as long as he doesn't try to talk over my head about them and when I say I've had enough "gun talk", I mean it and we change the subject for at least an hour.

Hope these ideas help. :draw:

Adrenaline

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    North Carolina
    hmmm take her to see Zombieland and tell her she can be like the kick *** chick on there. lol hmm just have a shopping day but make a deal, spend a few hours at the mall or doing what she likes and spend a few hours looking at guns or at the range...seeing other women will help her if her problem is that she doesn't think it is a 'girly' endeavour. I personally always saw the guys shooting when I was younger...and honestly it looked like fun and I wanted to do it too...but I am kinda a tomboy at heart.

Top Bottom