Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    more guns less valuable

more guns more valuable

more guns equal value

less guns less valuable

less guns more valuable

less guns equal value

i was jsut curious as to how folks gun collection is going with the economy the was it is. i tried a poll but somhow messes it up

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I think you should try to set up the poll again.

I'd say there are more guns out there selling for less, so that sounds like it'd be More guns less valuable?

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Great year here!

I sold two Mini-14's and two AR's, and 16K of ammo and bras for .223 when the market was hot. Made a killing. The fear was so thick you could taste it, and the prices went stupid-high, so I sold. I'll do it all over again in a few years.

The market prices for the older shotguns (SxS and 1890-1935 models I collect) were pretty good. I did not see more of any model on the open market, but there were less people buying, and I filled several slots in my collection for much less money than I thought it would take.

The older rifles seemed to follow the same trend as the old shotguns, so it was a very a good year for me, I bought a bunch at lower prices than I've seen in 5-8 years.

Hunting rifles (modern) seem to follow a yearly trend no matter who is in the Washington, for any given model you're looking for, it's typically much cheaper in March than in September, because of hunting season. This works for private party and gun shops. You can get a hell of a deal in March if you know what you're looking for.

Ammo was another blessing for me, I had a terrific inventory built over the last 15 years, in several calibers, and it sold quickly, for much more than I paid for it. God bless capitalists everywhere.

On the service side, I've had less than half of the re-stock jobs I've normally done, and that is purely a reduction in cash for people who want to re-stock old guns.

I have had more quotes this year than ever before, which tells me word-of mouth advertising on my stock work is geting to the customers, they're just waiting for the market to firm up before they spend the money. I'm really busy at my day job with a heavy travel schedule, so that has been a blessing in disguise.

I've done enough transfers this year, Michiana has a reserved parking for me, and rumor has it he's going to Vegas again!

IndySKS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    LaPorte
    I've got into this at the wrong time lol. Everything is so high right now it's crazy. Things seem to be going down a bit though thankfully.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i guess i should have been clearer. i was talking more along the lines of

i had a bunch of highpoints and now have a 2 glocks.

or i had 20 fifty dollar guns and now have 10 500 dollar guns. im not looking for exactly what guns you have just if you are happy with where your collection has gone in the last year.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i probably have to say less numbers more valuable

when i was in highschool (10 years ago) i had proabably 25-30 guns. but the most expensive one was about 150 dollars. now i probably dont have 30 but they are more valuable.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    ... I did find out that I'm allergic to Kel-tecs, Highpoints and most shotguns made in Turkey.

And I'm currently looking for a therapist regarding old Winchesters and Parkers.

More guns, more valuable. That's my final answer.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    More guns- more valuable

It's been a bad year for some.

I'm not one that will take advantage of a person, especially when they are down on their luck. I'm more likely to go out of my way to help.

That said, I AM an opportunist, and I WILL take a good deal when I see one. This year, while not overly lucrative, has kept me fed, clothed, housed, and able to add to my collection.

Being self-employed is not all fun and games, but it's a LOT MORE fun and games than working for someone else!

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    This has been a year of selling. I have been un-employed since January 30, 2009 and I still have bills that must be paid, so I must sell things people will buy. 2009 Sux, for me anyway.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It's been an interesting year at our house. One year ago, the only gun we had in the house was an old Marlin 25 .22lr that had not been shot in over 20 years. My wife had a fear of even that, insisting that the bolt be kept in a different location.

Now, one year later, we have 8 Mosin Nagants, an SKS, two shotguns, an AR, 3 more .22s and 8 handguns. We've been to the range at least once per week with most weeks having two trips and some three. We've put well over 10,000 rounds down range between myself and my two sons with over 2000 each through the 1911 and various Mosin Nagants. The three of us are completely safe and can recite (and live by) the 4 rules instantly. I carry a pistol daily and my oldest son is about to apply for his LTCH too, so he can carry is Bersa 45. As of a month ago, we've started hand loading .223 and .45ACP.

So, as far as guns go, 2009 has been a great year for us. I don't think I can afford to match this in 2010, but 2009 sure has been fun.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    It's been an interesting year at our house. One year ago, the only gun we had in the house was an old Marlin 25 .22lr that had not been shot in over 20 years. My wife had a fear of even that, insisting that the bolt be kept in a different location.

Now, one year later, we have 8 Mosin Nagants, an SKS, two shotguns, an AR, 3 more .22s and 8 handguns. We've been to the range at least once per week with most weeks having two trips and some three. We've put well over 10,000 rounds down range between myself and my two sons with over 2000 each through the 1911 and various Mosin Nagants. The three of us are completely safe and can recite (and live by) the 4 rules instantly. I carry a pistol daily and my oldest son is about to apply for his LTCH too, so he can carry is Bersa 45. As of a month ago, we've started hand loading .223 and .45ACP.

So, as far as guns go, 2009 has been a great year for us. I don't think I can afford to match this in 2010, but 2009 sure has been fun.

defintally a good year

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers

Banner Year! Excellent to hear you're shooting, handling, and training, not just filling the cellar!

Top Bottom