• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I lived not far from his office back in the day, when he was in the thick of it. I agreed with what he was doing and why, but he started to lose me when he started assisting suicide for non-life-threatening diseases. Basically just helping people who got tired of living with whatever disability they had. I think it completely destroyed his whole message.

He passed away in the hospital where I was born.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I lived not far from his office back in the day, when he was in the thick of it. I agreed with what he was doing and why, but he started to lose me when he started assisting suicide for non-life-threatening diseases. Basically just helping people who got tired of living with whatever disability they had. I think it completely destroyed his whole message.
    Yeah, he made some mistakes along the way to be sure. I think he either got caught up in his own spectacle or lost some of his focus, but we all take our eyes off the ball every once in a while.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    If one has the right to live, then one also should have the right to die. What stature must one possess to have any say over how long another person should live? Terminal or not, where do you draw the dividing line between a tortuous existence, and quality of life?

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I saw the movie "You Don't Know Jack" a few months ago. It is really well done and is a good introduction to the story of Jack Kevorkian.

I had no idea he assisted in so many suicides until I saw that movie.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    My only request in life is that I remain reasonably self sufficient. If not, just let nature run its course.
    depending on how much pain and suffering you are in you might not feel that way one day.

In my opinion this doctor was a true caregiver. in a practice where the majority of doctors I have ever had are distant and cold, he brought a human element back into care giving. I think one day doctor assisted suicides will be normal and he will be looked at as a pioneer of medicine.

do many people realize that when they pull the plug on a loved one they either starve to death slowly and painfully or suffocate, etc? current medical practices are anything but compassionate. If Im gonna die, Id rather jump out of a plane rather than to shrivel up and die in a bed with a crowd of on lookers or maybe no one.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    depending on how much pain and suffering you are in you might not feel that way one day.

do many people realize that when they pull the plug on a loved one they either starve to death slowly and painfully or suffocate, etc? current medical practices are anything but compassionate. If Im gonna die, Id rather jump out of a plane rather than to shrivel up and die in a bed with a crowd of on lookers or maybe no one.

Yes, that's true. And I've watched my mother go that way after I said to do it. It was better than "living" - trapped in a body that would never breath or move again. And because of the current "medical establishment" my last memories of her are gasping for breath.

I agree with what this man did and hope he finds happiness and love on the other side.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    For my 50th birthday my friends got me a gift certificate for a one time visit to Dr Jack Kevorkian's office! Did I say Friends!! I guess I use that term loosely!! :D

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield

In my opinion this doctor was a true caregiver. in a practice where the majority of doctors I have ever had are distant and cold, he brought a human element back into care giving. I think one day doctor assisted suicides will be normal and he will be looked at as a pioneer of medicine.

True. I don't plan to get to the shriveled up in a bed with on-lookers stage though. If I can't fend for myself it shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 days to succumb to lack of food and drink. Probably less if I'm in that bad of shape. No hospitals please. I see no reason to spend upwards of $50-$100k just to live an extra week in a drug induced stupor. ****, I can do that at home for waaaaaaay less.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Well I will get flamed on this one but here goes..

I did not like HIM nor what he did. Euthanasia is not a subject to be taken lightly. If you think its your right to have that option, you better check on the dutch experiment. Once you become a burden, you become expendable.

It already happens here in the US. You know, nursing home and patches?

How one can be in favor of it and be anti abortion is an oxymoron....

Anyhow, what I am saying is that what he did was legitimize self caused death. It is not YOUR right to do so, only your creators.

I have an elderly parent who is frankly a pain in arse but I would never condone this.

Don't give me quality of life crap. If you want to off yourself, there are many ways. You don't have to make society condone it. That is part of the problem we have now.

To think of this POS as a hero of some type is wrong...

This is MY opinion and mine only.....

Flame away..

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Abortion and euthanasia are not remotely the same thing sir. A full grown adult, legally culpable for any decisions they may make, should certainly have the right to choose their time of dying, should the be in a position of terminal illness to the point that their life consists of nothing but physical pain, and mental anquish. You consider it more merciful to allow a person to languish bed-ridden, in agony than to allow them the peace of the grave? I fail to see mercy in that proposition at all.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Don't get mad at me but my thoughts are that if you help someone die you commit murder(unless they are trying to kill you). If you want to end your own life that is one thing but to help someone end their life is another.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Get mad? At what? Everyone's entitled to their own thoughts and positions. I mean, none of them but mine are right, but you can definitely have them.

:p

Top Bottom