• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I can remember going to a small campground outside of Milford,IL back in the late 70's, where the game was played with washers thrown at coffee cans buried in the ground. Sometime in the mid 80's, I saw the boards come in to play at the "world famous" Earl Park Fall Festival. ( or as it's known around here, the Fall Down festival) Still played with washers. Never really saw the bean bags, or heard it called "cornhole" until about 6 years ago. On a side note, ever tried to explain Euchre to a non Hoosier?

I can remember being in college, playing euchre in front of a guy from New Jersey. It drove him crazy. He'd say "So yous just deal out the cards, and then one of you throws down his hand, and the rest of yous throw down your hands, and then somebody gets points?" in a thick New Jersey accent.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I remember playing a similar bean when I was little.

but Ill admit, I have friends down around Cinci/Kentucky area, and those guys are SERIOUS cornhole players. They all have their own custom made sets, with matching bean bags. Everyone knows how to play, and they drink a lot of beer while doing it! ;)

ccochran3

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Clinton
    a lot of people call it "bags" too. but its a really fun game, one of the biggest college tailgaiting drinking games out right now.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I can remember being in college, playing euchre in front of a guy from New Jersey. It drove him crazy. He'd say "So yous just deal out the cards, and then one of you throws down his hand, and the rest of yous throw down your hands, and then somebody gets points?" in a thick New Jersey accent.

Similar to my experience with a kid from Batavia, New York, and chicken fried steak. He asked, "which is it? chicken or steak?"
    :dunno:

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I didn't know that most people don't know what cornhole is. I thought it was just another game people played like checkers or something. Guess that's what I get for being a Hoosier country boy. :dunno:

browncofiddler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Brown County
    I've only heard of this game in the past 5 years or so. Wondered what it was myself...then I found out. You're right....it is kinda weird.

Welcome to the Hoosier State!!!!!! Hope you enjoy it.

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    When I moved from Cali to here and heard that name for the first time, I laughed then got a little nervous:n00b: Once I found out what it was, It was the same game we played out their it just called bean tossing. I guess it was a boarder thing. And yes, They fill the bags out their with beans.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I grew up here, played a lot of washers & "cornhole" growing up, but had never heard the game called that until my adult years.

While fun, nothing is more annoying than having a neighbor play cornhole all afternoon while you are inside trying to get work done.

Think "thunk..thunk..swish- woohoo!..thunk.."

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    When I was a kid "Corn Hole" meant something I definitely DON'T want to play. But I sorta grin every time I hear someone talk about the game now. I first saw it played with washers and boards and then the bags filled with ground corn husks. While in the Navy it was a great day when you could find 3 other ppl to play Euchre! Also while doing a contract in Boston I gave up trying to explain why ppl would eat biscuits n gravy for breakfast.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

Similar to my experience with a kid from Batavia, New York, and chicken fried steak. He asked, "which is it? chicken or steak?"
    :dunno:

Spasmo grew up in Indiana and I grew up in Michigan. The first time she introduced me to a tenderloin:

Me: So, what is it?
    Her: It's a tenderloin.
    Me: Of what?
    Her: What do you mean "of what"?
    Me: I mean 'A tenderloin of what'.
    Her: I don't know what you mean! It's a tenderloin!
    Me: Ok, what kind of animal is it made out of?
    Her: <increasingly agitated> IT'S A TENDERLOIN!
    Me: Why is it the size of a throw rug?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    How old is the game, or at least the name for the game. I've been in Indiana for 45 (minus 4) years and I never heard of it until a few years ago.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    I first heard of it 2 years ago when someone in a neighborhood (a nice one) on my way home had a sign out advertising "Corn-holing supplies". The first thing that came to mind was not a game involving tossing bean bags.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Top Bottom