• Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Is this what you are talking about?

That's the line. The problem is that the 30k is global, and I thought we weren't going to be the global police anymore. Also, that's down ~10% from 2014. So, by that measure "we" are winning.

Comparison:
    11,774 Terror Attacks Worldwide in 2015; 28,328 Deaths Due to Terror Attacks

"The total number of terrorist attacks in 2015 decreased by 13% and total deaths due to terrorist attacks (28,328) decreased by 14%, compared to 2014," the report says. "This was largely due to fewer attacks and deaths in Iraq, Pakistan, and Nigeria. This represents the first decline in total terrorist attacks and deaths worldwide since 2012."

So.... math > emotion?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You can't take politics out of the convention. Trump. It is what it is. Meanwhile the D's are in lockstep behind HRC. All this infighting in the GOP is poison. The D's don't care how bad HRC is, they will vote for her and the numbers will be there.

Not anti-gun, anti-gun, abstain. Those are the choices. Pick one.

It's a binary choice between candidates but it's not as sure that each of those choices are the two.

I guess we have a difference in perspective. Where's the "not anti-gun" choice?

This comes down to two lines of thought... one that trusts Trump, and one that does not.

That's fair. It's my estimate that Trump has the edge. Given the totality of information available I think it's more likely that Trump is the gun friendlier candidate. But I don't think that gun rights are as important to him as they are to me. If there's a deal he needs struck on something he values more, I can certainly see him pragmatically caving on guns to get the other thing. On SCOTUS picks, yeah, he produced a descent list of possibilities, but then he may go with his first words on the subject and try to appoint his sister.

Trump certainly presents a bigger risk than many of the other GOP candidates. But, Hillary represents a sure thing. I have extra clothespins if you want to borrow one.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    That's the line. The problem is that the 30k is global, and I thought we weren't going to be the global police anymore. Also, that's down ~10% from 2014. So, by that measure "we" are winning.

Comparison:
    11,774 Terror Attacks Worldwide in 2015; 28,328 Deaths Due to Terror Attacks

So.... math > emotion?

Department of State study? Did they leave out workplace violence? Maybe they classified some killing and rapes as domestic disputes. I clearly don't see any reason the DOS wants to say terrorism is in decline. :p

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Department of State study? Did they leave out workplace violence? Maybe they classified some killing and rapes as domestic disputes. I clearly don't see any reason the DOS wants to say terrorism is in decline. :p

This administration would never adjust the numbers to fit their agenda, now would they? :rolleyes:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

Ok.

So your numbers are.... what exactly?

I'm down with the notion that "winning" can't be described by numbers. Daesh has lost ground on the battlefield in 2015-16, particularly in Iraq. So that's winning.

How do you describe winning in the GWOT, or I guess the new acronym will be GWORI?

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    It's a binary choice between candidates but it's not as sure that each of those choices are the two.
    I did not say Pro-gun. Without a voting record there is no proof either way, and that is what scares people. I don't think he would turn his back on the 2nd. Being a deal maker, and nothing being off the table was the reason I was not a Trumper to start with.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    So...14 million people voted for Trump?

That only leaves 305 million that didn't...

I'm not voting for Trump. The best I can do for you for "getting on board" is not cast a vote in the general at all...

If that doesn't make you happy...tough.

Still waiting for you to provide actual proof that Trump is a life-long hillary supporter.

Cruz probably doesn't need Trumper votes to win a primary, but he would need them to win a general election campaign. He just shot that all to hell. For all the whining Trumpers are doing about a vote not for Trump is a vote for Hillary, they'll fiercely defend not voting for Cruz if he won the next primary to face Hillary.

If he's the GOP nominee next election, I would still vote for him.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    This administration would never adjust the numbers to fit their agenda, now would they? :rolleyes:

Same report said it went up the 2 prior years.

And believe me, the reasons have almost nothing to do with US policy nor the CINC. But if you have different stats/definition, please provide it so we can talk about the same thing. Ideally, Newt would have a resource for his rhetoric, but I think I've seen him at work longer than you guys have so I don't expect anything substantive from him.

Unless you count fearmongering as substance. If that's the case, Newt should be arrested for... substance abuse.

(C'mon now, that was funny.)

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    How do you describe winning in the GWOT, or I guess the new acronym will be GWORI?

The first step would be admitting that there is/should be one.

On Monday, an Afghan refugee in Germany used an ax and knives to slash and wound train passengers while shouting Allahu akbar. Last week, ISIS claimed responsibly after a Tunisian man drove a cargo truck into a crowd in Nice, France. He murdered 84 people including 10 children, three Americans, and injured over 300 others. Two weeks ago, almost 300 people were killed and more than 200 were wounded in bombing attacks in Baghdad.
    Two days before that, radical Islamists in Bangladesh killed 20 hostages, including three American college students. A few days before that, at the Istanbul airport in Turkey, ISIS attackers armed with guns and bombs killed 44 people and injured hundreds more.
    Last month, a radical Islamist in Paris stalked a French police officer to his home where he murdered the officer, tortured his wife to death in front of the 3-old-son, while streaming it all on social media. He was pondering out loud whether to kill the 3-year-old when he was killed by police.
    Two days before that, an attacker pledging of allegiance to ISIS killed 49 people in an Orlando nightclub, and wounded dozens more.
    All of this in just the past 37 days. We cannot let ourselves grow numb to these accumulating atrocities.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The first step would be admitting that there is/should be one.

Well, I don't disagree. Obama's abandonment of that rhetorical line was more than just symbolic. He structurally changed US strategy, and not for the better.

But, enough about the boring stuff we probably agree on!

There's another issue: previously-potential VP, prime time RNC speaker Newt Gingrich just said we are losing the war on radical Islam. The corollary of that is that the radical Islamists are winning the war.

Does that not give aid and comfort to our enemy? Talk about PR bonus points - Daesh should start using that, "old important white dude in a suit says we are winning!"

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Well, I don't disagree. Obama's abandonment of that rhetorical line was more than just symbolic. He structurally changed US strategy, and not for the better.

But, enough about the boring stuff we probably agree on!

There's another issue: previously-potential VP, prime time RNC speaker Newt Gingrich just said we are losing the war on radical Islam. The corollary of that is that the radical Islamists are winning the war.

Does that not give aid and comfort to our enemy? Talk about PR bonus points - Daesh should start using that, "old important white dude in a suit says we are winning!"

All Newt cares about is more war, more weapons, and more money to the military industrial complex.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    All Newt cares about is more war, more weapons, and more money to the military industrial complex.

See, INGO will get much less interesting if people keep posting things that are generally agreeable.

Hmmm... wonder if Trump is going to start marketing products in the MIC segment.... Trump and DARPA combine to present the T-2000 personal assistant and security robot...

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    See, INGO will get much less interesting if people keep posting things that are generally agreeable.

Hmmm... wonder if Trump is going to start marketing products in the MIC segment.... Trump and DARPA combine to present the T-2000 personal assistant and security robot...

As long as he points T-2000 at globalism, and big government, that is fine with me. :):

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

You are absolutely correct sir.

Thing is, is that Newt's right. And I hope to God he gets his weapons and money because our military needs all of it and right now.
    Ask any military officer and he'll tell you........yes even the Air Force. :rolleyes:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom