The ticket I got yesterday makes me dislike leo's more.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    exhibition of acceleration

I found out about the illegality of
    "exhibition of excessive acceleration"
    the hard way too.
    It took awhile for me to process why such a thing existed.

Once you ride it's always in your blood you know.
    Good to hear your ticket will be cleared.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I'm not stating that such is always necessary, or wise for that matter.

However, there are instances that a reasonable people can agree upon such.

Case in point: I stopped a man for driving through a stop sign. He was in a company truck, with his 8 year old son, and dropping off a friend at the airport to catch a flight out.

When I took his license, it had expired 3 weeks prior.

If I would have written him for driving without a license, towed and impounded the truck, left him and his son stranded, and reasonably expected that this man lose his job as a result; what would that had accomplished?

I had his friend take the truck and park it, call for a ride, promise to renew his license that day, and wrote him an airport citation (not a UTT) for his failure to stop as indicated.

If that is the Executive branch of government "making law", then so be it.

I don't know about you, but I take driving without a license very seriously.

I might be often critical of police, but people who obviously violate the law deserve whatever consequences come.

I would also blame the legislature for not bothering to write a grace period into the statute.

It is neither the role of a police officer on the street nor a judge to overrule the enacted laws of a democratically elected legislature.

So, in short, I would have written him and let him plea it out in court. He's the one who chose to drive without a license. Sympathy is not in your oath.

Perpetuating another myth. :noway:

Yeah, of course. Sensory perception has nothing to do with safety. :rolleyes:

My next bike will be a touring bike, which is much bigger and easier to see, and there is objective, empirically verified evidence that they are involved in fewer accidents.

I'm not saying drags for everyone, but having rode one (quiet) motorcycle, it was absolutely terrifying. A little bark never hurt anyone, and with baffled pipes, if you take it easy and shift early, it isn't that loud anyway.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    All of u guys make good points. Thats good to hear coming from someone from the inside. Don't get me wrong I appreciate the cops that are doing their jobs for the right reasons! I just despise the ones that try to make me feel like I am a lesser equal to them. There are no reason for the leo's having to be an a$, I am always respectful to them, would be nice if they were respectful back to me.

I just hope that you learned something and modify your driving behavior. It might be a good thing if you do like you said and give up your motorcycle since it seems to bring on impulsive behavior in you. The streets are no place for doing anything except driving defensively. There are simply too many lives at stake.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I just hope that you learned something and modify your driving behavior. It might be a good thing if you do like you said and give up your motorcycle since it seems to bring on impulsive behavior in you. The streets are no place for doing anything except driving defensively. There are simply too many lives at stake.

What's the old maxim?

Ride like you are invisible and everyone is out to get you.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

My next bike will be a touring bike, which is much bigger and easier to see, and there is objective, empirically verified evidence that they are involved in fewer accidents.

I'm not saying drags for everyone, but having rode one (quiet) motorcycle, it was absolutely terrifying. A little bark never hurt anyone, and with baffled pipes, if you take it easy and shift early, it isn't that loud anyway.

The only thing loud pipes do is **** off non-riders...and give you a false sense of security.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    What's the old maxim?

Ride like you are invisible and everyone is out to get you.

Going thru Peru yesterday.
    Stopped at a 4 way.
    Nobody to the left and front of me, two trucks to the right of me.
    I stop, First truck to the right of me, who is stopped, proceeds into and across the intersection.
    My turn to cross the intersection, (or should have been) :rolleyes:
    I pull out and am half way into intersection, second truck gasses it and misses my tail by a foot.
    :xmad:

I'm sure he could hear me cussing him through my helmet and his rolled up windows.

I don't know if he was not paying attention or trying to be a d-bag. :n00b:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I decided that my previous posts came off as anti-LEO, and I wanted to add something..

I have done some STUPID things on my motorcycle, been pulled over, and let go with just a warning. So I have been on both sides of the proverbial coin.

I have been stopped for no reason other than to check my Endorsement. They used to do this all the time on the Circle years ago. In fact, I once got stopped THREE times before making it around the Circle once.

I have also been pulled over for speeding, and once for a wheelie on Meridian downtown, and let go.

Bottom line is, if you want to ride "on the fringe" be prepared to be pulled over.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    The only thing loud pipes do is **** off non-riders...and give you a false sense of security.

There's no evidence of that, and it's pretty obvious to me that you're wrong. Luckily we live in a society free enough that we can decide for ourselves.

Personally, I have no use for a quiet motorcycle.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

I ride and overtly loud pipes **** me off.
    I have a Yosh pipe on my bike and it's louder than stock, sounds great but it does not split your ears open even under heavy wail.

There are guys with straight pipes on big twins that when they go by you can't hear the person next to you talking even when the bikes are down the road.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville

So I take it in the name of safety, and using the principles of maximizing other drivers sensory perception of you, you must wear safety yellow riding gear, jacket, pants, and especially the helmet. After all, it's easier to see people with brightly colored helmets, then with dark helmets, or no helmets at all.

It is the easiest way to be seen on a motorcycle after all.

darien-hi-viz.jpg

There's no evidence of that, and it's pretty obvious to me that you're wrong. Luckily we live in a society free enough that we can decide for ourselves.

Gee, then why are so many places passing motorcycle noise laws?

I know governments love passing new laws when they can profit from them, but there is usually some driving force that pushes them towards that.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom