• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I recently picked up a Springfield Loaded 45. I've been waiting to get one for years and I finally made it happen. Now, I don't really have an opinion about having a guide rod vs not having a guide rod, but cosmetically I think they're alright. I'm really just trying to understand the reasoning behind the guide rod that comes on the gun that requires an allen wrench to take it apart. I don't really care for that because unless you have an allen wrench on you it prevents you from being able to strip the pistol without tools. I'm planning on replacing it a Wilson full length guide rod so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

This 1911 is not going to be a carry gun, or my bedside gun. I've got glocks for the serious stuff. The 1911 is just a range gun, and a history lesson to explain to noobs. All I'm looking to do is get the gun easier to break down without diminishing it's overall quality or reliability. Is there a reason for the allen wrench guide rod that came on the gun?

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    You can buy and install a standard short (G.I.) guide rod. The full length guide rod serves no purpose other than to sell them to people who think they "need" one. And it slightly complicates takedown as you have found. Give the full length rod and wrench to someone you don't like.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Both of my RIA's have full length guide rods and no tools are needed to take them down. I don't really see where they, RIA, FL guide rods complicate dis-assembly

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Both of my RIA's have full length guide rods and no tools are needed to take them down. I don't really see where they, RIA, FL guide rods complicate dis-assembly

The guide rods you're talking about wouldn't complicate anything. The guide rod in a loaded is a different animal.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I recently picked up a Springfield Loaded 45. I've been waiting to get one for years and I finally made it happen. Now, I don't really have an opinion about having a guide rod vs not having a guide rod, but cosmetically I think they're alright. I'm really just trying to understand the reasoning behind the guide rod that comes on the gun that requires an allen wrench to take it apart. I don't really care for that because unless you have an allen wrench on you it prevents you from being able to strip the pistol without tools. I'm planning on replacing it a Wilson full length guide rod so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

This 1911 is not going to be a carry gun, or my bedside gun. I've got glocks for the serious stuff. The 1911 is just a range gun, and a history lesson to explain to noobs. All I'm looking to do is get the gun easier to break down without diminishing it's overall quality or reliability. Is there a reason for the allen wrench guide rod that came on the gun?

If you are going to use Wilson replacements, get this one.
    Flat-Wire Recoil Spring Kit | Full-Size-Wilson Combat

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1st congrates on the new 1911.
    The 2 piece in the loaded is a bit longer than a one piece. Some say it is more stable and helps with felt recoil and stability.
    I have both styles. I can not say i can actually feel a difference or see more accuracy with either of them. I do prefer them to a GI short piece. I have (2) loaded's 1 of which went to the SA custom shop for the full monti. In discussing the mods with them they were very persuasive on retaining the longer 2 piece rod. As they build these daily I still have it in the gun. I also have an allen wrench for it.

Is using an allen really all that irritating???

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I swapped out the FLGR on my Loaded Springer for a Wilson drop in replacement one piece FLGR and couldn't be happier. Much easier to assembly/disassemble and you don't have re-tighten it every 100rnds or so.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I swapped out the FLGR on my Loaded Springer for a Wilson drop in replacement one piece FLGR and couldn't be happier. Much easier to assembly/disassemble and you don't have re-tighten it every 100rnds or so.

Springfield has that issue taken care of now. Call 'em up and I'm betting they send out one of the new style. They did me anyway. No charge and no problems with it since. Oh, only took them overnight to get it to me. Top notch customer service for sure.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Springfield has that issue taken care of now. Call 'em up and I'm betting they send out one of the new style. They did me anyway. No charge and no problems with it since. Oh, only took them overnight to get it to me. Top notch customer service for sure.

No doubt! Springfield has among the best CS in the business. No argument there. But I also just do not like two-piece guide rods. I much prefer not needing a tool for take down.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No doubt! Springfield has among the best CS in the business. No argument there. But I also just do not like two-piece guide rods. I much prefer not needing a tool for take down.

I would say something smart-alack here about you not having the proper tools or skill sets to use them but I may be out your way to have a steak.........:)

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    So what's changed on this new style loaded guide rod? I never want to clean mine because I have to go find the stupid wrench. :):

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I would say something smart-alack here about you not having the proper tools or skill sets to use them but I may be out your way to have a steak.........:)

Meh, to tired and crummy feeling to make a witty comeback. My dad and my brother will be cooking tonight.

Keep it up and you just might be served a big helping of "porcupine" steak.

I have met Churchmouse. He doesn't drive a BMW.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    So what's changed on this new style loaded guide rod? I never want to clean mine because I have to go find the stupid wrench. :):

They sent me the complete rod and spring assy with wrench. It looks to be a little heavier.
    I've got all types of guide rods on my 1911s and honestly I can't tell a bit of difference in any of them as far as shooting, accuracy, recoil, or dependability goes.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    1st congrates on the new 1911.
    The 2 piece in the loaded is a bit longer than a one piece. Some say it is more stable and helps with felt recoil and stability.
    I have both styles. I can not say i can actually feel a difference or see more accuracy with either of them. I do prefer them to a GI short piece. I have (2) loaded's 1 of which went to the SA custom shop for the full monti. In discussing the mods with them they were very persuasive on retaining the longer 2 piece rod. As they build these daily I still have it in the gun. I also have an allen wrench for it.

Is using an allen really all that irritating???

It's not that irritating, I just like to be able to take weapons apart easily to clean them. I hadn't even thought about it coming loose while shooting, but I'm not too thrilled at the prospect of that. Mine is brand new just a couple months old, so maybe I won't have that issue anyway. When you talked to the custom shop did they give you a reason for what the two piece rod did for you?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's not that irritating, I just like to be able to take weapons apart easily to clean them. I hadn't even thought about it coming loose while shooting, but I'm not too thrilled at the prospect of that. Mine is brand new just a couple months old, so maybe I won't have that issue anyway. When you talked to the custom shop did they give you a reason for what the two piece rod did for you?

They were saying it (the longer 2 piece) helped cycling in some way but the geometry escapes me. I do think the longer rod is the better option but I can not give factual info to that just my personal feeling.
    The new 2 piece is supposed to be a better part.

Top Bottom