• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I guess Colt isn't bringing back the Gov't. .380...so this is as close as you will get. Interesting.

I think a "pistol kit" with .22 conversion all in one box would have been the bees knees as an "intro to pistol" gun for newbies...but I guess that would mess with their already existing product.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    A Mustang or a Pony works for me.
    main.php

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    That 1911 is too big for me in that caliber. The point of .380 for me is concealability. It may be a good starter pistol for someone though.

pasonik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    A Ruger LCP with Lehigh Defense 380 Auto 85gr Xtreme Penetrator 800 fps The perfect .380 acp! These awesome little shooters are accurate and light weight. You will always grab your Ruger LCP everytime you leave your house. Never have an excuse not to have a gun on you! :)

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It may not be the optimum for concealed carry but I think it would be great for new shooters and shooters with smaller hands that would enjoy shooting a 1911(and who wouldn't?:)) that fit their hand better and has a little less recoil.

Heck, when people shoot my 9mm 1911, they usually get a big smile on their face and then they go buy one.

I could see my 4'11" tall, 105lb wife really liking something like this. But she's not getting one since I am not adding a new caliber to my stock.:)

So don't tell her about it, okay?

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    I wonder what barrel length is on it. For me, right now, the "right 380" is a Beretta 85. For my wife it is the PK380. However, as an instructor I like the round. It is a good caliber for new shooter and shooters who are recoil sensitive.

EDIT: Looks like 4.25" Barrel. It might be something I'd add to my collection.

Last edited:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    For me, in .380 I want 'small'. No bigger than something like the Ruger LCP, NAA Guardian, or Seecamp LWS. I'd actually say smaller but, apparently, the Seecamp is currently the small size winner.

No control issues with the Kel-Tec P-11 or SCCY CPX-2, so there should be no issues with any of those listed above. The 'problem' is that all of those above aren't much smaller than the Kel-Tec or SCCY, which both run the 9mm. The question, then, becomes, why carry a small .380 when one can carry a 9mm that's just as (or very close) small?

If they weren't so ridiculous on price, I'd have already purchased a Boberg XR45-S (.45 ACP.) Carried an AMT Backup .45 for years, which is virtually identical in every dimension to the Kel-Tec P-11.

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    ......The question, then, becomes, why carry a small .380 when one can carry a 9mm that's just as (or very close) small?

As a firearms instructor that sees many different types of shooter (experience, stature, confidence, etc....), I'll answer with a response I had in a different thread....here it is:

T-MANN said:
    ...yes you can get a 9mm in that size or smaller....so what. I carry a LC9, but my wife is more recoil sensitive than I am and I would rather her have 9 rounds of 380ACP that she is accurate with than 8 rounds of 9mm that she isn't (and doesn't like to shoot). Let's face it, a LC9 (and very small light 9mms like it) are not the most fun firearms to shoot. For all of you "380 BLEH...9mm is as low as it goes" folks, that is why someone would choose a 380ACP over a 9mm Luger that is the same size package...recoil sensitivity (which leads to inaccuracy, not practicing and not liking the firearm you are carrying and eventually not carrying).

This quote is referring to why my wife would rather carry a PK380 over the smaller 9mms on the market....and why I would "allow" (and even encourage) her to do so.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    What 9mm is the same size as my TCP 738 for $239?
    I didn't mentioned dollar amounts (except how pricey the Boberg is), the issue discussed being size. That said, the both the P-11 and the CPX-2 are pretty close to that price. Enough so that I'd prefer to spend the extra $40 +/1 and prefer (with optional flush fitting mag) 12+1 in 9mm (P-11) rather than 6+1 in .380 (TCP) for what appears to be a similarly sized handgun.

As a firearms instructor that sees many different types of shooter (experience, stature, confidence, etc....), I'll answer with a response I had in a different thread....here it is:

...yes you can get a 9mm in that size or smaller....so what. I carry a LC9, but my wife is more recoil sensitive than I am and I would rather her have 9 rounds of 380ACP that she is accurate with than 8 rounds of 9mm that she isn't (and doesn't like to shoot). Let's face it, a LC9 (and very small light 9mms like it) are not the most fun firearms to shoot. For all of you "380 BLEH...9mm is as low as it goes" folks, that is why someone would choose a 380ACP over a 9mm Luger that is the same size package...recoil sensitivity (which leads to inaccuracy, not practicing and not liking the firearm you are carrying and eventually not carrying).

This quote is referring to why my wife would rather carry a PK380 over the smaller 9mms on the market....and why I would "allow" (and even encourage) her to do so.
    And I would absolutely agree, for those that are recoil sensitive. However, if one carries a handgun for defensive purposes, constant and consistent training should be a 'must' rather than an 'option', as I strongly impress upon my own students.

I did begin my initial response with "For me", it should be noted.

For me, again, for a .380 the consideration is that it must be 'small' and significantly smaller than several 9mm's or even a .45 (AMT, Boberg) on the market.

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    I did begin my initial response with "For me", it should be noted.

You're right, you DID qualify it with "For me" and it should be noted

And I would absolutely agree, for those that are recoil sensitive. However, if one carries a handgun for defensive purposes, constant and consistent training should be a 'must' rather than an 'option', as I strongly impress upon my own students.

I also agree with this statement, that constant and consistent training is a "must" rather than an "option". Another reason that those who are more recoil sensitive choose a 380ACP over a 9x19 in a small package. They get into a 380ACP and are more willing to put in the time to practice and get proficient, whereas if they have a subcompact/micro 9mm they aren't as likely to put in the practice time.

Now, back to the subject at hand...the Browning 1911-380. I will probably add one to my collection but it wouldn't ever see the carry rotation because of it's size.....for me. I do think it will be a fun gun to shoot and teach with though. I think a scaled down 1911 in 380 will give many new shooters confidence with it's light recoil and accuracy, although there are many shooters I come in contact with that are surprised by the relatively light recoil of a 5" 1911 in 45ACP with its big, slow bullets.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It would be interesting to spend a day shooting one of these to see if it is as much fun to shoot as it looks like it could be. .380 is a very cheap caliber to reload for and with .22lr still being on the expensive side (for.22, that is) it could make a fun gun to plink with. On the other hand, a 9mm 1911 would fit that bill too and would be normal size. I don't know if this is anything I'd consider carrying. My P238 fits that role quite well and this seems much bigger than the P238.

Top Bottom