• ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Interested in how the direction of this conversation goes... I find it difficult to discuss electric cars with some folks

I really, really want a Tesla. I think they are neat and the future. I don't care about the environment, I don't care about saving money.

Whenever I mention those 3 things up front, some immediately want to steer the conversation towards how they "don't help the environment as much as claimed" or "it costs more than they say" in a passionate attempt to dissuade me from wanting one.

Bring on the Cybertruck!
    If somebody wants a battery powered car, they should be able to buy one.
    But that's where the debate should end.

The environment and cost are what those who are trying to mandate them on us keep using a an excuse.
    So that naturally will be in the discussion.

PERSONALLY, my main sticking point with battery powered cars is that the government is trying to force them on us by various mandates.

If the government would just stop with the mandates, stop working to destroy the oil, gas and coal industries, and let the automakers make the vehicles the buying public wants, I'd support it.
    But these "green new deal" zealots refuse to just let the issue work itself out with the mainstream public.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Have you checked the cost of gasoline or diesel lately?
    I think I saw a chart for electricity prices over in France where they are 7x what they were a year ago. I am the energy engineer for the plant I work at. Our plant's electrical bill has gone up 30% just this summer. Our budgeted natural gas rate is forecasted to almost double for 2023. There is no such thing as a free lunch. All energy is connected to one another.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

The environment and cost are what those who are trying to mandate them on us keep using a an excuse.

PERSONALLY, my main sticking point with battery powered cars is that the government is trying to force them on us by various mandates.

If the government would just stop with the mandates, stop working to destroy the oil, gas and coal industries, and let the automakers make the vehicles the buying public wants, I'd support it.
    But these "green new deal" zealots refuse to just let the issue work itself out with the mainstream public.

Yep, because if the government wants us to want something, we should be very wary about the reasoning behind it. This whole climate agenda BS is nothing but an expensive boondoggle used as an excuse to force authoritarian mandates and for government to get more and more control.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

I cannot figure out if people are ignorant or willfully blind to what the government is doing with electric vehicles.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I like the idea of going electric as well for financial purposes not so much going green. I keep getting the same sort of answers.

Tucker (in video above,) is reporting that places in Europe are more expensive to fill your EV than a gas car would be.

It's kinda like Obamacare, healthcare has never been more expensive, since we were fooled into "free." :n00b:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A drop in the bucket compared to replacing batteries out of warranty or the cost of charging your vehicle once energy costs go up where they're expected to be.
    Actually, no. Tesla’s battery warranty, for example, is 8 years or 150K miles. Add up how much gas the average driver spends over the same time/mileage minus what the electric bill is. Fuel is way more expensive over that time than a new battery.

The problem with battery life isn’t the cost alone. It's that it happens in one expense, whereas fuel for ICE vehicles is spread over that time. It has the effect of limiting the effective life of an electric car to the life of the battery, because as the car ages it’s value decreases to the point where it’s not worth the cost of the battery to replace it to most people.

But that's not a lot different from ICE vehicles because those engines don't last forever. Some vehicles you’d be lucky to squeeze out 150K miles until you start having expensive repairs due to engine problems. And those expenses could easily approach the cost of replacing a battery. But, for many ICE vehicles, if you take good care of them, they can last several hundred thousand miles.

I have a vehicle that we're thinking about replacing. It's throwing catalytic converter codes. It has maybe 130K miles on it. It uses about a quart or so of oil per 1K miles. We think that's what clogged up the cats. The dealer quoted us around $5K to replace them, which is ridiculous. It should be about half that. If I did it myself I could probably get it done for just over $2K. But with it using oil so bad, I think it's time to replace it.

We could get the engine rebuilt, and replace the cats ourselves. That might approach the cost of a new battery if it were electric. But we can drive the car as it is now with the problems it has. We couldn't do that with an EV if the battery can't hold a charge.

Top Bottom