• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    This is a good example of how the child support system in Indiana has turned into another form of "welfare". The mother planned that her kids move out at 21 and she was going to cut back her lifestyle to adjust for not having her kids' child support. I see alot of wrong in this story and it's not even being covered.

http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-indi...hange-from-21-to-19-20120614,0,3156391.column

Parents like her are why I'm happy to see the law change. I've seen alot of people treat thier kids as a check. My ex being one.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    $10,000 in pay, huh?

I would hope the father would continue to provide support (financial or otherwise) to his kids if they need it, but I think it's a good thing that the funds don't have to go to the spouse for "distribution".

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    $10,000 in pay, huh?

I would hope the father would continue to provide support (financial or otherwise) to his kids if they need it, but I think it's a good thing that the funds don't have to go to the spouse for "distribution" .

That is exactly my point. Where is it stated that the parent can distribute these funds as they see fit? Like the mother stated in the story
    "Now I have to adjust in 2 weeks and I thought I had until the kids were 21"

I see no problem being there for your children but when you do what you can and then it's abused by the other parent thinking it's thiers and not the kids'.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    This is awesome for me, Its about time Indiana did something right for the people who have had to pay child support.

My oldest boy turns 18 in 3 days.....only a year to go...woohoo!!!

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Here is what is messed up, my dad paid zero percent of my college education that i had to pay. My mom's lawyer was very bad. If it wasn't for the fact I have a relationship with my dad again, I would force the issue. I figure relationship>other stuff.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Here is what is messed up, my dad paid zero percent of my college education that i had to pay. My mom's lawyer was very bad. If it wasn't for the fact I have a relationship with my dad again, I would force the issue. I figure relationship>other stuff.

And if your parents were still together, they could throw you out on your ear at 18 without a dime. My parents were still together and made over $100k between them. Their was no notion that they were going to pay a dime for my college. But if my wife leaves me, I'll be on the hook for my daughters college tuition?

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    My ex was living in Wisconsin while my daughter was living in Michigan with her aunt. I went to court and had my support cut in half, payable to the aunt, and forced the mom to contribute the other half, to the aunt. I now have joint legal custody and the aunt has primary physical custody.

The system worked for me. Of course the attorney wasn't cheap either lol

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    There are a lot of useless turds in society who don't, and have never, paid a dime for the kids they helped make, and child services generally does nothing about it. There are a lot of guys like me who love their kids, teach them right from wrong, spend time with them, do things for them, help them with problems they may have, make sure they have everything they need, and child services will be on my ass the moment the mother decides she wants a few more dollars of mine. I've been lucky to have an excellent attorney, and have had child support reduced EVERY single time that woman has gone crying to child services about how bad she has it. The slugs who occupy the space in the child services office would not be able to cut it at any other place than a government job. I'm glad our state has made a sensible decision, but child services is useless, and all, yes, ALL child services employees should be kicked into the gutter where they belong.

Jamesaritchie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    An eighteen year old is an adult, and shouldn't need support by either parent. But as I understand it, this law won't affect those who are in college. If you kid goes to college, you can still be hooked for tuition and the like until the child turns twenty-two.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I paid my support on time, every time until my kid turned 21. I asked her one day around the age of 20 how classes were going. Her response was "why do you care it isn't costing you anything"! On her 21st b-day I presented her with the printout that I received from the clerks office of every payment I made. She was quite taken back with the sum total and then asked me where was all of the money that I had paid? My simple response was go ask your mother.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've never had to pay support, but getting money out of my wife's ex was nearly impossible, and that's going through not only the state, but retaining an attorney and going to court. I swear that cost us more than we ever got from him. She was the good parent, and we could manage, but her son generated some of the expense, and his dad should have been on the hook for that. He sure never gave up on any visitation opportunities to screw the kid up.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    no offense intended, but its not your mom's or dad's responsibility to pay for your college education.

+1 My Son starts Purdue this fall. Paying for some of his college should be my choice, not a requirement. I turned 18 in basic training, no one was going to pay for me to go to college.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I asked my attorney exactly what I would be on the hook for when my kids hit college age, and she told me that in recent years, judges have been trending more towards NOT ordering non custodial parents to pay for college, and that since we provide health insurance for my kids (which my ex is supposed to do but doesn't), I would most likely not be ordered to pay. This is in Southern IN, so may be different in other parts of the state, but it would seem that maybe judges are doing as they should, and looking at more than just "you're a male, you're gonna pay". I personally, have not experienced that line of thinking, anyway.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Well i see no problems with this.. it should be lowered to 18 not 19.

Paying for college bit is kind of bs. Whay is the cap on that? State school? Ivy league school? Where does it end?

Kids are not a paycheck i dont feel the least bit sorry for the woman named karen in the article.

I also dont feel one bit sorry for you guys having to pay child support and lawyer fees.. you choose to stick you disco stick in that woman.. and you choose to let the seed fly inside of her..

Now i do feel bad for those guys who have to pay child support and the mother refuses to let you see your kids on schedule.. etc.. and makes your life a living hell.

Cheaper to keep the baby mamma than drop her. Condoms and pulling out is even cheaper. Abstaining is completely free..

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    +1 My Son starts Purdue this fall. Paying for some of his college should be my choice, not a requirement. I turned 18 in basic training, no one was going to pay for me to go to college.

It's rather peripheral, but 4 of my 7 roommates were in ROTC. Sometimes it IS about getting some one else to pay for college, and sometimes it ISN'T. If someone is paying for their own college by taking on debt or has to answer to the .gov for footing the bill, usually they were the ones who were more morally, academically and economically 'in tune' with their education. Not a bad thing IMHO. Getting out with $200k in debt isn't a great option, either. Those full-ride ROTC guys sure got a good deal in the end, though.

Back to topic of college, if parents want to pay to help their children, go for it. Who will get the end benefits of the investment? The child. Who should most of the financial responsibility of college fall on then? The person who will reap the benefits. I paid every dime through my efforts, and if the kids at least have to pay part of their way, they'll appreciate it later on.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't disagree. I'm paying for a third. I've told my Son's mother that I think she should pay for a third and my Son should pay his third. She doesn't like that idea so I told her that she could pay his third if she wanted but I thought he needed to have some ownership of the experience so it isn't wasted.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    Paid child support for two children, never missed a payment. Contributed to the one who has since graduated from college...felt it was the right thing to do. He took out loans, his mother took out loans and I paid cash...seems like that's the way things should be. Everyone does what they can. Isn't that how you raise citizens?

Top Bottom