• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    This is neat.

These days we take for granted that a self-contained cartridge has a primer mounted in the center of the cartridge bottom, but there was once several competing systems. In the 1820s, a French gunsmith named Casimir Lefaucheux invented the pinfire system, which featured a priming pin that protruded from the side of the cartridge.

Lefaucheux's original design was for a double-barreled shotgun. A pinfire revolver was patented in England in 1854, though my sources disagree as to whether it was Casimir or his son Eugene who patented the design. In either case, the pinfire revolver was used extensively during the Crimean War and adopted by the French Navy. The example shown to the right is an 18-shot pinfire revolver with twin barrels.

gunshow2003-pinfire.jpg

Credit

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I'd vaguely heard the term pinfire, but couldn't have told you what it meant. I've never seen a revolver like that, though. Apparently one of my favorite authors thinks the concept is as cool as I do.
    I also have a derringer made in Waco, Texas, that was originally chambered for .45 ACP, but which I had rechambered for
    .45 Colt. It contains a system that alternates which of two firing pins the hammer hits. Build a big revolver with two barrels, one up and one down, choose a cartridge small enough for two six-shot rows of chambers, and what you have is the Herron StaggerCyl .270
    L. Neil Smith at Random THE BIRTH OF THE .270 HERRON STAGGERCYL

Edit:
    A commenter at the above link posts this (3rd gun down) specimen, of different make judging by the star extractor, with many detail photos of one chambered for 6.5 Velodog and another chambered in 6.35mm.
    Nouvelle page 0

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Google the History Channel- Tales of the Gun series

I've seen more than one episode that included pin-fires, "rocket revolvers", and even a pistol that fired a triangular round they named a "tround".

Dardick tround - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can find examples of these now and again (collectors items) but they'll cost you!

Did you realize Lewis and Clark had air-guns with them that they used to hunt game?
    They did not want to have to carry gunpowder, and if you ran out, where would you get more?

Many interesting old designs

Last edited:

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Did you realize Lewis and Clark had air-guns with them that they used to hunt game?
    They did not want to have to carry gunpowder, and if you ran out, where would you get more?

Actually L&C carried mostly Gov't issue rifles, but they did have a few (two or three) air rifles. Amazing thing was that they fired the same .69 cal ball as the issue musket!

One of the most amazing things, gun related, is when I was reading 'Undaunted Courage' by Ambrose about the L&C expidition. The cans that held thier black powder were made of lead and the amound of lead in the can material would make the porper number of balls, when melted down, for the amount of powder in the can. basically, you eptied the can of powder into your powder horn, melted the lead can down and cast bullets and you had the proper ration of shot to powder from each can. How amazing of an idea is that?

Doug K

PS, they enjoyed shooting the air rifles for th eindians ans it really freaked them out! Oh, and if I remeber right, the favorite meat of the troops ended up being mountain lion, followed closely by indian dogs!

Top Bottom