The people you think should know...DON'T!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    Today I went to Deb's gun range in Hammond only to be told I have to be 21 or with someone that is 21 in order for me to use their range. Which was somewhat understandble. So I posed the question out of curiosity; If I'm allowed to buy a handgun at 18 and legally carry why can I not practice my skills so that I am the safe and a better trained gun owner? The guy answered quickly and told me that I can't own a gun at 18 and that the gun would have to be purchased by my parents and lent to me, and I also need their consent to carry. He explained how it would be in my parents possesion. Also he add that if I was ever stopped by a LEO they would most likely call my parents, ask if they allowed me to carry. I gave a little smirk, and left.

Honestly, you think that someone working in a gun range. Wearing a NRA certified instructor hat would know the proper laws in the state of Indiana. I believe he is hurting the knowledge of future gun owners that are going to be gaining false information.

Also, do any gun ranges allow you to be 18 years old to shoot in NWI.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Today I went to Deb's gun range in Hammond only to be told I have to be 21 or with someone that is 21 in order for me to use their range. Which was somewhat understandble. So I posed the question out of curiosity; If I'm allowed to buy a handgun at 18 and legally carry why can I not practice my skills so that I am the safe and a better trained gun owner? The guy answered quickly and told me that I can't own a gun at 18 and that the gun would have to be purchased by my parents and lent to me, and I also need their consent to carry. He explained how it would be in my parents possesion. Also he add that if I was ever stopped by a LEO they would most likely call my parents, ask if they allowed me to carry. I gave a little smirk, and left.

Honestly, you think that someone working in a gun range. Wearing a NRA certified instructor hat would know the proper laws in the state of Indiana. I believe he is hurting the knowledge of future gun owners that are going to be gaining false information.

I don't think this is correct. I think you can own a handgun and carry at 18 in Indiana...you just can't buy one until you are 21. Example if someone that is 21 years of age or older purchased a handgun and gave it to you as a gift.....you now own it. As far as them calling your parents for consent to carry ...thats total BS....and I don't think that is correct either.
    I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me on this will pipe in on this.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009

You dont need their consent to carry, they can either buy the gun and gift it to you or you can buy from a FTF transaction. You cannot buy from an FFL

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana

many places let you shoot if you are over 18. Any DNR range will let you , If you have your LTCH .

most gun clubs only require you to be 18 to join..

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I don't think this is correct. I think you can own a handgun and carry at 18 in Indiana...you just can't buy one until you are 21. Example if someone that is 21 years of age or older purchased a handgun and gave it to you as a gift.....you now own it. As far as them calling your parents for consent to carry ...thats total BS....and I don't think that is correct either.
    I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me on this will pipe in on this.

You can buy one at 18, just not from an FFL (that's a federal law, and it applies to the FFL holder, not to the buyer). Indiana law says you must be 18 to purchase (or otherwise transfer ownership of) a handgun.

IC 35-47-2-7
    Prohibited sales or transfers of ownership
    Sec. 7. (a) Except an individual acting within a parent-minor child or guardian-minor protected person relationship or any other individual who is also acting in compliance with IC 35-47-10, a person may not sell, give, or in any other manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun or assault weapon (as defined in IC 35-50-2-11) to any person under eighteen (18) years of age.

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    I understand I can purchase at 18 through a ftf. Also I can carry without my parents consent. I was just writing a little rant. I probably won't go to shoot there. Where is a DNR range near NWI.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I understand I can purchase at 18 through a ftf. Also I can carry without my parents consent. I was just writing a little rant. I probably won't go to shoot there. Where is a DNR range near NWI.

I get your point about the gun range not knowing the law. It's hard to keep up with every nuance of the law and there really aren't any good classes that cover it. Even the NRA Basics class only touches on it. Still, an NRA instructor ought not to be spewing incorrect information like that without checking his facts first.

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    jasper pulaski i think is by you...if not blythes in valpo doesn't care how old you are as long as you have a ltch...

I will go to Blythes when ever I have time to go, but I guess I have to go to Debs tomorrow since I would like to shoot before I go to work. With my girlfriend that is 21 of course. :rolleyes:

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    the same exact thing happened to me!

when i was 20 i went there to shoot and i was denied because i was not 21.

the guy there told me the exact same thing, you cant OWN a gun until your 21 and blah blah blah. he even cracked a joke, which was not funny and made me irritated, about how an "adult" needed to be there with the "minor" to say "yeah, he's with me" in case he does somethig stupid. not funny. i had even paid, and grabbed my targets, and they checked what i was shooting, before carding me and then denying me.:noway:

i did however send a complaint letter that INCLUDED a copy of the IC that states that it is legal to own as long as you're 18. then i got a return letter in the mail that had a copy of the firearms child safety act that had a copy of the same exact code i sent them!

i did go back in on a later occasion and talked to a guy working there by the name of Chester. i told him about what happened and he said the guy was an idiot and i was free to shoot there on days that he worked, i beleive he told me he works fridays and saturdays. i even called once before i went in to verify he was there on a later date and he let me shoot.

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    when i was 20 i went there to shoot and i was denied because i was not 21.

the guy there told me the exact same thing, you cant OWN a gun until your 21 and blah blah blah. he even cracked a joke, which was not funny and made me irritated, about how an "adult" needed to be there with the "minor" to say "yeah, he's with me" in case he does somethig stupid. not funny. i had even paid, and grabbed my targets, and they checked what i was shooting, before carding me and then denying me.:noway:

i did however send a complaint letter that INCLUDED a copy of the IC that states that it is legal to own as long as you're 18. then i got a return letter in the mail that had a copy of the firearms child safety act that had a copy of the same exact code i sent them!

i did go back in on a later occasion and talked to a guy working there by the name of Chester. i told him about what happened and he said the guy was an idiot and i was free to shoot there on days that he worked, i beleive he told me he works fridays and saturdays. i even called once before i went in to verify he was there on a later date and he let me shoot.

I also talked to a gentleman on the phone that told me I was aloud to come in and shoot even though I was 18. This guy today was just very cocky and arrogant. I'll be going in tomorrow like a said, and if it's the same guy I'll make a point about him knowing the law.

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    Nwi range

I'm not sure where exactly ur at but if u go to kingsbury there is a nice outdoor range that has pistol range and rifle range out to 100 yards, also has shotgun and archery ranges and that is just a bit south of laporte, a bit closer than Jasper Pulaski

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    I also talked to a gentleman on the phone that told me I was aloud to come in and shoot even though I was 18. This guy today was just very cocky and arrogant. I'll be going in tomorrow like a said, and if it's the same guy I'll make a point about him knowing the law.
    Be sure to print out the IC. Most idiots will continue to argue their ignorant points, even after they've had indisputable evidence shoved up their nose. But I doubt their superiors would be happy to learn that their employee was lying to you/ discriminating against you/ demeaning you because of blatantly false information after you had already gone out of your way to prove the facts.

If it were me in that situation, I would have called my 'parents' up just so they could tell him to sit and spin themselves. That's just plain ridiculous.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

Probably the closest public land with a range is WILLOW SLOUGH.

Head straight south down US41/Indianapolis Blvd toward the Kankakee river. Within a mile or two after passing over the Kankakee river is WILLOW SLOUGH. They have a very basic outdoor shooting range area there. There is a backstop area for shooting handgun/rifle as well as an open area for shotgun.

Nothing fancy, but if you want to shoot for free that is one place to go and its probably about the same distance as going out to Blythe's in Valpo, maybe a bit closer.

LINK TO D.N.R. website for WILLOW SLOUGH => DNR: Willow Slough
    Target Ranges:
    Target ranges are open to the public on a first come first serve basis. All shooters must obey range rules and regulations.
    Range is open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. local time.
    The range is closed on Monday and Tuesday.​

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    I actually went back to debs today with the girlfriend and put 100 down range. And I have to say I was very pleased.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    The range at Blythes is open, they no longer rent guns, was there on wednesday the 28th and there were people shooting at the range.

Top Bottom