• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    the PACK knife is a project i have wanted to take on for YEARS. thanks in large part to the support of my family, friends, and fellow makers, i can finally get it off the ground!

the concept is not a new one. a high quality knife, basic in design, with no added garbage. nothing to inflate the price, or break, or fall off. just a well designed, basic knife. the largest plus in the concept is the use of high end "super" steels at a fraction of typical cost associated with a knife of that steel. when was the last time you saw a super steel sell for around $100, fully ready to fly?

the first run is going to be CPM M4. if you research M4 you find a few things. first thing? a ton of cutting competition knives are currently M4. second, you can have hardnesses all the way up to 65RC. mine will not be that hard, as it would be too difficult for the user to sharpen, generally speaking. you will also see that it does rust. with each steel, issues are present. CPM M4's issues are: difficult to sharpen at HIGH hardnesses and rust. its positives far out weight those small issues. it is ridiculously tough and holds an edge through alot of work. it is tough. stupid tough.

PACK Knives, as i am calling my knives in this concept, are simple and reliable. and an inexpensive way to get your hands on a super steel, usually reserved with a much HIGHER price of entry.

P.lain A.$$ C.ustom K.nife.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    47C5D6F2-4642-453B-89D9-6A41AE16CB4C-445-0000002AC4A6F8B6_zpsf332c128.jpg

in the center of the picture are the PACK knives. with the large holes in the handles. the one with extra holes is just a prototype of a prototype for handles. cord wrap is possible and easy. grips are also possible, but not something i will be offering, intially. blade is about 4", handle is about 4". made to PACK anywhere. toss it in or on and go.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    very cool sir. I bet you will sell a good amount of these. good concept. like a midtech folder.

I see a choppa in cmp m4 would that be mine :)

Nope! I have your 3V chopper here. After I knock out a few sheaths, it is up next. I am hoping to use the new grinder on it! Need to get a tool rest.....

With the initial feedback I have gotten, I expect the PACK to turn into a success. The results from show and tell so far have been a resounding positive!

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    That batch, pictured, is the majority of what was shipped for heat treat a week or so back. 100 knives (well, 99!). Included in that batch are some INGO orders, as well as others, and a bunch of knives for dealers!

I think the Choppers in M4 are gonna be sweet, too!

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Something like this. The PACK Prototype. My first hollow grind. These are gonna be awesome.... I think I will have to keep this one.

9400C5EA-BC17-4B63-83E7-90ECB10CB030-2122-0000014E49DC33A1_zps5196cbc4.jpg

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Lol! I get the Fatboy in the drawer, waiting on her final touches on the refinish. I still haven't figured out what happened.

The first ones will be available soon. The new grinder has made things far more controlled and thus go much quicker! First orders of business are:

Ship Grunts Fatboy
    Refinish the other Fatboy
    Build some sheaths
    Build Grunts Chopper
    Build a Bunch of knives for vendors and customers!

Order of completion of #3 and #4 may vary....

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Lol! I get the Fatboy in the drawer, waiting on her final touches on the refinish. I still haven't figured out what happened.

The first ones will be available soon. The new grinder has made things far more controlled and thus go much quicker! First orders of business are:

Ship Grunts Fatboy
    Refinish the other Fatboy
    Build some sheaths
    Build Grunts Chopper
    Build a Bunch of knives for vendors and customers!

Order of completion of #3 and #4 may vary....

I like to see grunts name 2 times in the top 4. I need the choppa. I want to test out some 3v retention!!

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Knife is done.... I have loaned my dad my tin snips, which is pivotal in making sheaths, for me. I need to make 3 sheaths and ship those guys! Well. 7 sheaths, I suppose!

I was thinking of picking up a pair of tin snips to use on Kydex. Does it work well?

Top Bottom