• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think it depends on the ordering system. So many restaurants now have the server order the meal via computer and that computer ticket/order is what the kitchen uses to prepare the meal. Once it is ordered and in the system, the server would have to enter payment of some form, and I'm not sure how you trick the system in that scenario.

I worked at a restaurant for a while that did not use a computerized system. It would have been very easy to do the sort of thing you are talking about. A verbal order or handwritten ticket to the kitchen to prepare the food. Collect the money and punch in something of lesser value when ringing it up in the register and pocketing the rest. We still have a number of restaurants in our area where it is done that way.

This. Our kitchen didn't make anything until I rang it in. At that point, I either have to close out the ticket with some form of payment or have management make changes

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    The place where I worked, there was no cashier. The kitchen was busy so they just prepared whatever was on the ticket I wrote up. When I delivered the food, the ticket was stuck on a stack with the rest of the tickets for all the servers together. Each server rang their sales into the register and ran any credit cards through the cc machine. At the end of our shift, the manager rang out our sales in the register and that was the money we turned in...the rest was our tip money that we kept.

I never even thought of doing was SD45 is describing, but I can see how it would have been very easy to do where I was working.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    They made it earlier! When you count your cash at the end of the day, do you go by what the kitchen has cooked? Or by what the waitress rang up?

I get what you're saying. What I'm saying is that if someone wanted a $50 meal there would be absolutely no way for me to get the kitchen to make it without ringing it in first

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think it depends on the ordering system. So many restaurants now have the server order the meal via computer and that computer ticket/order is what the kitchen uses to prepare the meal. Once it is ordered and in the system, the server would have to enter payment of some form, and I'm not sure how you trick the system in that scenario.

I worked at a restaurant for a while that did not use a computerized system. It would have been very easy to do the sort of thing you are talking about. A verbal order or handwritten ticket to the kitchen to prepare the food. Collect the money and punch in something of lesser value when ringing it up in the register and pocketing the rest. We still have a number of restaurants in our area where it is done that way.

Even with verbal orders or handwritten tickets you cant do that with someone in charge of the cash register who knows what comes out of the kitchen and therefore how much money has to come in.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Even with verbal orders or handwritten tickets you cant do that with someone in charge of the cash register who knows what comes out of the kitchen and therefore how much money has to come in.

That would depend on the size of the place and how busy they are I guess. If it a verbal order and written ticket and the place is huge and/or packed, the person running the register may not know

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine

Most of the restaurants around here have cashiers that stand at a register near the entrance to the restaurant. They have no clue what goes in or out of the kitchen. They seat customers, give them a menu and ring up whatever is on the ticket as they leave and charge according to that ticket.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Most of the restaurants around here have cashiers that stand at a register near the entrance to the restaurant. They have no clue what goes in or out of the kitchen. They seat customers, give them a menu and ring up whatever is on the ticket as they leave and charge according to that ticket.

Yep. I don't know how many restaurants still use verbal or written tickets though. Everything where I worked was all computerized. If I went to give the kitchen a written or verbal order they would have laughed at me. Gotta ring it in first

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I get what you're saying. What I'm saying is that if someone wanted a $50 meal there would be absolutely no way for me to get the kitchen to make it without ringing it in first

It's why I came up with the idea of the van to cook a $50 meal for only $8 and bring it into the restaurant by the ventilation system.
    The $8 meal the kitchen made for you is just given to the driver of the van for him to eat.
    Now that could work.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Olive Garden has the waitress punch everything in at a post on a computer.there is no one standing there. Maybe that's where we're getting messed up! They take their receipt to a computer and punch it in! At the end of the day they add the receipts up with the cash and credit cards. If she punches in a soup and salad or uses a coupon she had hidden in their apron they can make hundreds every night! They do about 2000 customers a day! Easy to scam when that amount is coming in.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yep. I don't know how many restaurants still use verbal or written tickets though. Everything where I worked was all computerized. If I went to give the kitchen a written or verbal order they would have laughed at me. Gotta ring it in first

I worked in a place where we mostly used verbal orders.
    In some places it actually looks bad if the waiter is writing down orders.
    I saw waiters who can take orders for a bunch of tables without writing anything down.Then they dont forget anything when they go tell the chef.
    And of course when they get 50 meals coming out of the kitchen they remember exactly where to send them.

You also have to do that while talking to clients and asking about their days.Rain Man stuff. :faint:

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Olive Garden has the waitress punch everything in at a post on a computer.there is no one standing there. Maybe that's where we're getting messed up! They take their receipt to a computer and punch it in! At the end of the day they add the receipts up with the cash and credit cards. If she punches in a soup and salad or uses a coupon she had hidden in their apron they can make hundreds every night! They do about 2000 customers a day! Easy to scam when that amount is coming in.

I see. Yeah where I worked everything was all one stop at the computer. After you took the order at the table you went to a computer and punched it in. That gets sent to the kitchen so that they can make the order. The the receipt prints out for you to give to the table. If they add things to their order, you go through the same process. There would be no possible way to run that scam where I was serving.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bikemannc
    Top Bottom