• Status
    Not open for further replies.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    As long as the bags are still sealed it shouldn't be a problem...or put them in a couple big rubbermaid totes to keep the water out.
    Brilliant idea.

Salt isn't *that* expensive but people would really steal them out of the bed of a truck? That's ............ saddening on so many levels.

People will steal your bags of salt. Just saying....

And don't using anything like cement blocks, iron, hard stuff with edges. You have to stop suddenly its going to hurt when it hits you.
    Would be a good test for my Line-X Premium bedliner! :)

If I were going to use cement blocks or iron or anything like that - I would tie it down good. The bed has those movable tie-downs which are really nice [love them].

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Brilliant idea.

Salt isn't *that* expensive but people would really steal them out of the bed of a truck? That's ............ saddening on so many levels.

If I were going to use cement blocks or iron or anything like that - I would tie it down good. The bed has those movable tie-downs which are really nice [love them].

Yes, people will steal the stuff. had it happen to my friend.

I'd make sure its tied down with some good rope.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep, I agree with DB, Salt may get lifted.

We had the bed of the truck full of split wood. Stopped at Home Depot for Chain oil. Came out and 3 Mexicans were eyeballing the wood. They had stopped behind my truck and were out looking in the bed. A few shouts and threats they took off.

These days people will steal "ANYTHING"

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    We had the bed of the truck full of split wood. Stopped at Home Depot for Chain oil. Came out and 3 Mexicans were eyeballing the wood. They had stopped behind my truck and were out looking in the bed. A few shouts and threats they took off.

These days people will steal "ANYTHING"
    That's just sad...

Sometimes I feel there is no hope for this world.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Brilliant idea.

You want to put it over the wheels for best traction too. Neighbor had 500 pounds of sand in his truck for added weight. He spun out on I94 last week in the storm and went into the median...the sand bags all flew around and busted his tailgate in two! His truck is pretty screwed up overall, but couldn't believe those bags did that to the tailgate...blew it right in two!

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    You want to put it over the wheels for best traction too. Neighbor had 500 pounds of sand in his truck for added weight. He spun out on I94 last week in the storm and went into the median...the sand bags all flew around and busted his tailgate in two! His truck is pretty screwed up overall, but couldn't believe those bags did that to the tailgate...blew it right in two!

Sound advice there!

Howdy mom!

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I'm back. Driveway and walk from garage to house is shoveled, waiting on the the Mrs. to come home now. Man, I'm a good husband. ;)

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    You want to put it over the wheels for best traction too.
    I planned on tying it down between the wheel humps right over the axle as not to create a lever with the truck body itself [i.e. reducing downward pressure in the front or increasing it [and, as such, not putting as much weight over the back wheels].

I tend to over-think...

Neighbor had 500 pounds of sand in his truck for added weight. He spun out on I94 last week in the storm and went into the median...the sand bags all flew around and busted his tailgate in two! His truck is pretty screwed up overall, but couldn't believe those bags did that to the tailgate...blew it right in two!
    500 pounds of anything slamming into something else is going to cause some damage. Hopefully the hinge is OK - I know the tailgate on my truck comes off pretty easily- you undo the tailgate and take it down to like 45 degrees and pull off the one side then back up to like 60 degrees and the other side slides off. It's difficult enough it won't happen on accident but simple enough that it's not a pain.

That said - thankfully he was OK.

When I about spun out there were light poles on either side of the road. Thankfully I've practiced [a lot, several hours per week every winter] on slides and controlling them so I didn't panic and got it back under control and straightened out...

That said - I am not sure I like this new fangled traction control system on my truck... I can see how it would help an idiot that has no clue what they're doing but I almost felt like I was fighting traction control to regain control myself. Anybody else old-school ever experience this or am I nuts?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bikemannc
    Top Bottom