Not open for further replies.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I've been told that steel is bad for your chamber, extractor, etc for years, and never had any problem with it. However, I prefer brass because I reload it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just not true. My SIL ran it in his AR.....constantly stuck casings and eventually messed up the chamber. Saw it with my own 2 peepers. Rare case...:dunno: but I had to put a reamer in the chamber to get it back into spec. He rums brass now and no more issues.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Steel is bad for your guns? I've never had anyone say that to me. Then again I don't really sell ammo.

They think that steel ammo will damage their extractor since steel is harder than brass.But from what I heard the steel used to make the extractor is much harder than the steel used in the ammo so it's not the case.

theundeadelvis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    One of the issues that some experience with steel is it's lack of expansion (in comparison to brass). When you fire a brass cased round, it expands and actually seals the chamber. Then it retracts and ejects easily. When steel is fired, it doesn't expand allowing powder residue to be forced into the chamber. This can cause the steel case to become tighter in the chamber, making it difficult for some guns to extract. It's not a common issue, and personally, I wouldn't think twice about shooting steel cased ammo, unless I had a specific gun that's had trouble with it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bikemannc
    Top Bottom