ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Well good golly I must be awful niave, cause that 50 cal only dented it and this just about penetrated it...

I was just dumbfounded. I need to study up some more.

Comparing apples and oranges here.

You have two different things to combat when picking your steel. Velocity and Energy. Hardness of the steel combats the velocity, while the thickness of the steel combats the energy.

50bmg is a high energy round, and that is why it dented the plate. Thicker material will resist the deformation of these higher energy rounds.

22-250 is a higher velocity round. That is why you saw the penetration you did from this round.

Now your first reaction to this might be to say you just want a 1" piece of AR500 to shoot everything at....While this may sound good on paper, think of this.....The thicker target will take more damage from velocity than a thinner target of same hardness. This is because of the extra weight of the target preventing the target from getting out of its own way. The target acts as a more static version of itself and takes more damage from the round before it creates enough momentum to move. That's why you get a lower THUD as apposed to a louder TING. The target isn't vibrating as much to generate the sound.

We use 3/8" as it will cover most needs of everyone, but there are some occasions where we might want to talk about other option.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I just woke up from a nap. I can't remember the last time I took a nap. Being sick does have it's perks.

I'm the same way. I NEVER nap unless I'm sick. When I had Strep last month, I laid down on the sofa waiting for my wife to finish something, woke up 3 hours later.

Hope that your feeling better.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom