Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    how ya feeling mom?

Like crap. Not sick to my stomach so much...now it's just a nasty headache. I hope tomorrow morning isn't a repeat.

But I luvs me some bacon.....:cool:

Got a notice in today's mail from IDEM that another hog farm is going in about a quarter mile from the back of our property. 8,800 pigs....I knew it was coming. Nothing we can do to stop it. That will be southwest of our house...warm summer breezes will take on a whole new meaning. The other two that IDEM is in the process of approving includes 17,600 pigs about 5 miles west and a half mile to the north and 8,800 pigs that will be a mile and a half almost directly north of us. Of course, it isn't just the pigs...those pigs produce millions of gallons of manure that will be spread on the fields all around us at least twice a year. I like bacon too, but I do not like factory farms that are placed in the middle of established neighborhoods.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Like crap. Not sick to my stomach so much...now it's just a nasty headache. I hope tomorrow morning isn't a repeat.

Got a notice in today's mail from IDEM that another hog farm is going in about a quarter mile from the back of our property. 8,800 pigs....I knew it was coming. Nothing we can do to stop it. That will be southwest of our house...warm summer breezes will take on a whole new meaning. The other two that IDEM is in the process of approving includes 17,600 pigs about 5 miles west and a half mile to the north and 8,800 pigs that will be a mile and a half almost directly north of us. Of course, it isn't just the pigs...those pigs produce millions of gallons of manure that will be spread on the fields all around us at least twice a year. I like bacon too, but I do not like factory farms that are placed in the middle of established neighborhoods.
    This right here would make me sick to my stomach. Sounds like no matter which the wind blow, it's gonna smell hogs. Sorry to hear this.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    This right here would make me sick to my stomach. Sounds like no matter which the wind blow, it's gonna smell hogs. Sorry to hear this.

Our county zoning laws have not been updated since they were originally written in the 50's. There have been amendments here and there, but overall, the rules are antiquated. 90% of the county is zoned Ag so they pretty much can go anywhere they want. The county commissioners refuse to limit any of the farmers. It makes me crazy! And they wonder why they can't attract industry and people who want to build nicer homes...like qualified doctors to staff the hospital. I better not get started....

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker

This is just wrong. I understand the need for this kind of industry but the needs of local residents should be considered as well. Regardless of existing zoning laws, there should be a law preventing this type of industry within a reasonable distance from a large amount of residential property.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Our county zoning laws have not been updated since they were originally written in the 50's. There have been amendments here and there, but overall, the rules are antiquated. 90% of the county is zoned Ag so they pretty much can go anywhere they want. The county commissioners refuse to limit any of the farmers. It makes me crazy! And they wonder why they can't attract industry and people who want to build nicer homes...like qualified doctors to staff the hospital. I better not get started....
    Some afternoon when we both have time, I will call you, and give you vent time. I know what you mean. The commissioners are elected, times up jr.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Some afternoon when we both have time, I will call you, and give you vent time. I know what you mean. The commissioners are elected, times up jr.

They are elected and, unfortunately, we have no better candidates running than those currently in the position. Every other county in the state that has a CAFO ordinance limits where they can go to areas used only for intensive agriculture operations. Our county seems to think having them right next to residentially zoned property or towns is perfectly okay. Trust me...I vent to several people regularly. I'm getting quite good at it when it comes to county politics and BS.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I guess I will take my cranky self to the kitchen and make some dinner for the hubby. I'm not really hungry...maybe a bowl of soup for me.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    They are elected and, unfortunately, we have no better candidates running than those currently in the position. Every other county in the state that has a CAFO ordinance limits where they can go to areas used only for intensive agriculture operations. Our county seems to think having them right next to residentially zoned property or towns is perfectly okay. Trust me...I vent to several people regularly. I'm getting quite good at it when it comes to county politics and BS.
    Can a CAFO ordinance be put on the ballot?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom