churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I’m always open to suggestions and advice

No worries from me on a half breed. Look for a 6.0 if you are going LS. Be patient and find the right on. You have the research skills.
    I am not sure as to the glide unless you do the Turbo or have solid plans to boost the power. Glides are lazy on the street and take away from the fun factor in my humble opinion. But a Glide will take some abuse and makes the car easier to set up for drag racing.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Well you opened the door so here it is....cut out those trashy LS motor mounts and put some serious blue oval Ford power where it belongs. Lol ok, there I said it.
    So what are you planned uses for this car? As you know that helps in steering any plan

We were down in Fort Walton over the weekend visiting my sister, her backyard neighbor has a 67 Mustang Fastback sitting in the yard. The car has definitely seen better days but has serious potential and I mentioned that I'd like to have it. The wife asked me what I'd build it for and I told her it'd be a street car. She agreed it would make a nice street car project.

She doesn't realize just how vague my answer was!:laugh:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We were down in Fort Walton over the weekend visiting my sister, her backyard neighbor has a 67 Mustang Fastback sitting in the yard. The car has definitely seen better days but has serious potential and I mentioned that I'd like to have it. The wife asked me what I'd build it for and I told her it'd be a street car. She agreed it would make a nice street car project.

We do.....:lmfao:

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    If you turn it into a drag car, I want some of the corner carving parts.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I've been workin a ton of OT lately and hunting when I'm not working. I think I'll have things caught up enough by January to finally start making progress on the Notch.
    But in the meantime, I keep fixing stupid stuff with my truck.
    First, it was fuel filters. Truck was losing fuel pressure like crazy. I could barely touch the throttle without staying above 5psi (normal pressure should be above 16 at all times, but damage won't occur with this pump if I go lower).

So I got that fixed. And Sunday, on my way home from the store, my ABS flipped out on me and I literally STOOD on the brakes. Apparently that was the wrong move, because this was the result:

https://imgur.com/rE5xMpW

https://imgur.com/yMyXNLY

https://imgur.com/ZFSWzEv

https://imgur.com/xKiyqgT

I didn't find out that I bent the Master Cylinder push rod until I started pulling stuff apart, which of course was at 8pm on Monday. Brothers Auto Parts on Kitley had an entire hydroboost assembly for only $50, so I drove up there and bought it. Threw it in that night and the truck's happy again.

PS - imgur is being weird and only posting super large versions of those photos, so I'm linking them for right now and will attempt to edit this post with smaller images later so that y'all don't have to click on the links. But I gotta get back to work lol

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    As far as I know, those are 100% oem parts.... My guess is that the master cylinder shot out, lodged against the battery box I built, and the continued thrust of my foot on the pedal bent the rod? That hydroboost unit is completely trashed. It locked up internally. I think it was on its way out the door anyway.

I believe that one of the two ears was already cracked on the hydroboost unit. I knew about it but never thought that it would matter. Planned on replacing it when I replaced the master cylinder at a later date.

I don't know what my max on leg press is. When I was working out, we were doing 3 sets of 10 reps with 600+lbs on the sled. I'm sure there's a lot of force there lol

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    As far as I know, those are 100% oem parts.... My guess is that the master cylinder shot out, lodged against the battery box I built, and the continued thrust of my foot on the pedal bent the rod? That hydroboost unit is completely trashed. It locked up internally. I think it was on its way out the door anyway.

I believe that one of the two ears was already cracked on the hydroboost unit. I knew about it but never thought that it would matter. Planned on replacing it when I replaced the master cylinder at a later date.

I don't know what my max on leg press is. When I was working out, we were doing 3 sets of 10 reps with 600+lbs on the sled. I'm sure there's a lot of force there lol

I have seen a bunch of broken parts in my life, but I aint never seen a hydroboost give up the ghost like that before. I'm thinking the crack was larger and deeper than you throught. No offense but, I'm starting to think you are tough on equipment. Seems like you are always breaking something lol

Btw 600+ on the sled is a lot, but I don't think it's enough to do that my man. I've had 1,035 on the sled before for 3 reps and I aint never exploded a hydro unit and launched a master cylinder before lol.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

A forgotten 67 fastback like that begs to be done either all out street machine or at least something more period correct like a 351C with 4V heads and a serious cam and some compression...and 3 pedals

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    No worries from me on a half breed. Look for a 6.0 if you are going LS. Be patient and find the right on. You have the research skills.
    I am not sure as to the glide unless you do the Turbo or have solid plans to boost the power. Glides are lazy on the street and take away from the fun factor in my humble opinion. But a Glide will take some abuse and makes the car easier to set up for drag racing.

I agree the glide will take tons of abuse, but unless you have enough power, it can be lazy in a street application. If he does go glide, I think it should have a 1:80 gear set. I'm not a transmission guy...automatics do magic crap, but I would think the taller gear would help it be less lazy. And yes if going to go the LS route then yeah 6.0 is the way to do it right.
    TH400 has more gear options and would probably be a better choice unless it will have a power adder

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I have seen a bunch of broken parts in my life, but I aint never seen a hydroboost give up the ghost like that before. I'm thinking the crack was larger and deeper than you throught. No offense but, I'm starting to think you are tough on equipment. Seems like you are always breaking something lol

Btw 600+ on the sled is a lot, but I don't think it's enough to do that my man. I've had 1,035 on the sled before for 3 reps and I aint never exploded a hydro unit and launched a master cylinder before lol.

I bet you're right about the crack.
    ABS was locking the brake pedal up and in my p***** off mood I just pushed harder on it because I wasn't going to miss my turn. It was mostly out of panic.... I'm impressed that the ABS fought me well enough to put that much pressure on the unit and snap it like that.

I really hate the ABS in this truck. It's worthless. Almost caused two crashes that night in the snow.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I agree the glide will take tons of abuse, but unless you have enough power, it can be lazy in a street application. If he does go glide, I think it should have a 1:80 gear set. I'm not a transmission guy...automatics do magic crap, but I would think the taller gear would help it be less lazy. And yes if going to go the LS route then yeah 6.0 is the way to do it right.
    TH400 has more gear options and would probably be a better choice unless it will have a power adder

I talked with a guy at PRI who had a single turbo LS with a built TH400 with manual valve body. He was using it for Auto-x, road racing, and drag racing. It was the black SN95 with green wheels. He said it was more than a 12 second car, but I don't remember what time he said. He thought it was in the neighborhood of 600hp.
    I need to do more research, but he made the TH400 sound like a good idea for the LS swap that I'm planning on mine in the future.

Also, he was using Microsquirt to control the LS. Just in case anyone was curious lol. I think I have a few more notes on our conversation.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Fellas, I know guys with big pulling trucks that run lightly modded T-400's and run them more than a season. These maniacs are making 1K ponys in these pulling trucks. The T-400 is the absolute hands down strongest factory auto ever made. Ever.

We built mine when I 1st got the 69 Camaro rolling. Just a few bits and pieces as to hard parts and a T-Brake/reverse valve body. Like T-Chicken said autos do magic :poop: so I am a parrot on this. We ran that trans near 2 seasons on a stout 454. Dropped a valve and tore up the engine late season. Car left hard and ran solid 6.66 eighth miles. Great bracket car.
    Over the winter we went bonkers and built a full roller 496 with good heads and as much compression as we could go and stay on gas. Never touched the trans save for some gear changes to optimize the package. Ran it balls out 3 more seasons. Pulled the engine to freshen it where needed and sent the trans to my guy. He called up in a day or so and said come and get it. I picked it up and he told me unless it does something stupid stop wasting his time. It was fine inside.

If you are going to push it with boost or power adders and it will be a mainly street car get the T-400 if you can find a good one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom